Is Star Wars Battlefront 2 any good?

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
With all the commotion and fighting going on in places like reddit, talks of boycotts of EA (Which probably won't last long term), and EA's stocks taking a minor dip for the past week, Is Star Wars battlefront 2 any good and would you play it if the microtransactions were removed?

Like, if you opt out of buying loot boxes and just play the game as a regular mook with no extra weapons or powerups, can you still play the game normally? Or would it be harder to do so.

Personally, I'd play it if there were no loot boxes or extreme farming / grinding involved to get heroes.

What do you guys think?

AsG_Alligator

qhull precision error
aa
Aug 5, 2016
From what I've gathered if you ignore the microtransaction bs in SFBF2 EA the game is mediocre at best and an absolute bugfest at worst.

It looks and sounds impressive as any other DICE game but the campaign is boring and uninspired with tons of glitches, and multiplayer is... well you know...

Just don't buy this game. Ever. Make EA feel their fuckup.

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
Honestly the game is really good. Gunplay is great with a better timed cooling system. The guns feel like they have more weight this time and pack a punch. Starfighters are fun to fly now and have a lot of depth to their combat, both in atmosphere and in space. Obviously the look and sound of the game is incredible. Maybe I'm weird because I actually appreciate art, but some games are worth playing just for that aspect alone. And man, the sound design is spot on to the movies.
(But omg puxorbs gamplei > gwafix)
I played the hell out of it during the beta event and have been tracking its development since we first heard anything about the game.

The only reason I haven't purchased it yet is because of the broken progression system. It really sucks because other than that (and supposedly a rather poor single player campaign) the game is great. It is pretty buggy still, but they have fixed so many of the issues that the community brought up to them.

I feel like a lot of the people who say the game isn't good were never considering buying it in the first place. Its actually really good. Its everything I've wanted in a star wars game since 2005, and its what the 2015 battlefront should have been.

Mar 23, 2013
The MS will come back for sure, the entire progression system was build around them which is a shame as its blatand p2w.

Watch some comparsions about what power a fresh player has vs a player who bought the MS to obtain high level items. Its rediculous.
Save your money for a couple of other games that deserve their purchase.

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
From what I've gathered if you ignore the microtransaction bs in SFBF2 EA the game is mediocre at best and an absolute bugfest at worst.

It looks and sounds impressive as any other DICE game but the campaign is boring and uninspired with tons of glitches, and multiplayer is... well you know...

Just don't buy this game. Ever. Make EA feel their fuckup.

I think one important thing they should really do for the storyline is to maybe make it feel like the Dark Forces campaign.

The Dark Forces Campaign, for instance, is quite open ended and large, but unlike doom (Which is really just a fuckfest of labyrinths with 3 keycards), the maps are linearly designed to an extent (Similar to newer fps games). I think the campaign should have been like that, tbh.

Topazy

L1: Registered
Jan 30, 2018
Ugh horrible game. Played on XB1 and found it very buggy. Lots of visual lockups and glitches. I rented it on gamefly for the single player, a bit of multiplayer and I returned it. MP was just not fun, way too random and too grindy. I miss good starwars games. Give me the 1990's back. :(

Twist.vmf

L420: High Member
Jul 29, 2016
i recommend getting the 2005 one, much better, and you can play offline all the time.
the current one is a disgrace to gaming it self.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
I got excited because I thought you meant the old one. If you want a great star wars experience, go for the 2005 one for sure. The default graphics are still okay and if you want more stuff I'm pretty confident there's graphical mods to make things look nicer.

Obviously don't expect as many full servers but there's always somewhere to play

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
I've played it a bit on PS4 (post disabled MTX and with progression tuned to be more friendly).

It's significantly better than the last Battlefront game, and I think it's pretty fun as a casual game. It wouldn't ever be my main game, but to play a few matches here and there and to enjoy Star Wars it's good. Part of why I enjoy it is because there aren't a lot of AAA shooter catering to casual play these days.

After playing it, I don't think it's pay to win. The real issue was progression unlocks taking way too long, which they've addressed.

The game's biggest issues are loading times and laggy menus. You have to slog through them to collect your progression rewards.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Like, at all, ever, since about 2010.