How to disable some CTF gamemode mechanics when using flags.

Pawlakov

Deliberately incoherent
aa
Jun 1, 2013
I'm prototyping a hybrid gamemode based on CTF. My problem is that whenever any flags are present within the map all CTF features become enabled - some of them are desirable for me, and some aren't.

Features I wish to keep enabled:
  • flags (capturing in a designated zone, dropping on death or on demand, returning on timeout, etc.)
  • GUI indicator displaying location and status of the flag
  • CTF-related voicelines
  • rewards for the capturing player (points) and their team (crits)
Features I wish to disable:
  • incrementing capture counter and triggering victory after the third one (or at the very least to reset the counter upon capture)
  • GUI indicator displaying CTF score (0-3)
I am prepared for the possibility that all of this might not be exactly achievable, but is it even partially possible?

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016
You can remove the CTF scores simply by adding a tf_logic_hybrid_ctf_cp to your map. This has the benefit of also showing any control points that your gamemode uses in the HUD.

Next, set your flag gametype to Attack/Defend, like so:
upload_2021-12-25_1-15-4.png

This'll let you cap the flag an infinite number of times without ending the round.
However, this also gets rid of the crits on capture and CTF-related voice lines.

We can fake the crits on capture; just make a trigger_add_tf_player_condition covering the entire map with these properties:
upload_2021-12-25_1-20-27.png

Then go into RED's capture zone and give it these outputs:
upload_2021-12-25_1-22-35.png

Then repeat the process for BLU.

It's difficult to fake the CTF voice lines. They're all WAV files that never got made into soundscripts, and you need them to play specifically for one team. If you made them into soundscripts, you could use the PlayVORed and PlayVOBlue outputs to play them to the right team at the right times, but that's a pretty long-winded process that I'm not qualified to teach.

Oh, also you'll need to swap the RED and BLU flags. That might confuse players a little.