How To: Add Screen Overlays on only ONE (or more) players

Yaki

aa
Sep 3, 2018
EDIT: See discussion below for an alternative method. This is just a guide for one method!!

So I stumbled across this when thinking about Lumberyard_Event and how Dan could implement the screen effects for when the player becomes Beamy.

Here is an example:
unknown.png

This screen overlay applies only to me.

All I did was replace one .VMT and apply addcond 106 to myself via console cheat.

What is addcond 106?
  • Condition 106 applies the PASSTIME interception distortion effect for when a player steals the ball (I guess? I don't know enough about Pass Time). Regardless, this is just one overlay that works similar to when you are underwater, Jarate'd, etc...
  • You know what that means! We can apply this condition to any player we choose.

How can this be achieved in my map?

• This file is replaced:
    • effects/dodge_overlay.vmt
  • Once you have that, you need to apply the condition in Hammer using this brush entity:
  • Additionally, you can remove the condition using this trigger:
    • trigger_remove_tf_player_condition (There is no VDC Wiki article on this one)
  • Pack effects/dodge_overlay.vmt manually in your map (using programs VIDE or CompilePal)

Examples...

Here are two examples you can try yourself:
-> Overlay Examples.zip
  • This includes two folders--Each folder contains one .VMT.
  • Place ONLY ONE of the folders in the directory "tf/custom".
  • Folder names are self explanatory.

Known Downsides...

1. This doesn't work in Pass Time (because the condition is used in this game mode)
scroll_gifx.gif
  • This still applies a "Bonk! Atomic Punch" effect on the player as any class.
  • To fix this, add condition 14 (Bonk! phasing) with 0 duration. That'll remove the phasing.

Attachments

• Overlay Examples.zip
    1 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

Yaki

aa
Sep 3, 2018
interesting and useful!
Actually...Turns out we can use r_screenoverlay via point_clientcommand. It gives pretty much the same effect, and is more flexible.

Recently it was removed from the list of sv_cheats on servers, or something? I was told on the Discord about this. It won't work upon singleplayer testing (i.e. going to a map via console "map <mapname>") but it works on multiplayer servers (dedicated).

I guess the only benefit of this method I discovered is it's an addcond, which is removed on player death.

If you find this useful, thank you!