How the Art Pass Contest came to be.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'm kinda curious as to the contents/aspects of those removed details. As far as caves go they weren't very interesting shapes.

I think it was kinda obvious that some details were removed, as already stated there are geometry inconsistencies and hidden props. Not to mention alpha blends. But god forbid if those displacements were actually serious.

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
So i'm just re-adding a post that was lost in the site roll back:

zpqrei said:
Hey kids, it's a super necro-bumb (nearly 2 years!), but I was browsing through all my old files, and I found these web sites I was using to pitch and discuss the concept with Valve. Excuse my shitty web-dev skills back then, I was a bit of a newb.

Link 1 - What I used to pitch the idea to Dario, back when it was just detailing an out-of-bounds area of a level. Again, shitty design and layout, it was designed to pitch the idea, not for the pubilc. Don't judge me. EDIT: Actually, re-looking at this, you can see I was a lot more conservative with the rules, when Robin & Corey later approached me, we discussed these and decided they were a bit too restricting, hence why artist collabs were allowed (we decided mapping collabs would be unfair) and custom content was allowed.

Link 2 - What we were working on once we got wind of Valve's plans. No comic yet, that came much, much later (about a week or two before release). We didn't know what sort of rules Valve would introduce, hence the bullet points. That'd later become the rules page, once it was obvious it wouldn't work on the actual page due to the amount we needed to outline.

Not much, but I thought I'd share it with you guys.