How the Art Pass Contest came to be.

Discussion in 'Contests' started by zpqrei, Aug 20, 2010.

1. zpqrei

aa zpqrei Theme Changer Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
    I wrote this a while ago, before then Engineer Update and before the contest was announced, and thought you guys might want to see it.

How the Art Pass Contest came to be.

This is how it all happened.

I had this idea in my head. Just a mini-contest. We'd get an out of bounds bit of a WIP TF2 map, and detail it, then give it to Valve to include it in an update. Simple.

I proposed this to Dario Casali (Level Designer at Valve: creator of "Gold Rush", "Badwater Basin", "Pipeline" and "Thunder Mountain"). He liked the idea, and so I set out getting ideas together, knowing that there would be a lot of things to overcome. For example, to get our bits of detail in a Valve map we would have to surrender total rights to Valve. Little legal bits like that would need to be in this, unlike our last 'for fun' contests; although, this is still 'for fun'.

On the 21st of January 2010, I got this response:

"There was been discussion about it and it's a good idea. The thing standing in the way is lack of a suitable map for it. It will jump in priority when we have a lower workload. Currently we're full speed ahead with the engineer update."

Needless to say, I was overjoyed. But as you know, it just kept getting bigger. On the 29th of January 2010, after thanking Robin Walker for linking to the Swamp Theme Expansion in a blog post I got this email:

"Hey, random thought. We've got an old map we haven't worked on for a while that we don't have time to do an art-pass on. We were wondering if you guys would be interested in running a competition where we give you the VMF, and people then compete to make the best looking art passed version. We could encourage them to use the new swamp pack, for instance. If the end result is good, we'll ship it as an official map.

Thoughts?"

I'm sure you can imagine the joy of how I felt. This really was getting into the big time. I'll sum it up a bit with some screencaps of the Mod Cave (the staff's secret forum):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heh. It was amazing. Needless to say we agreed.

And well, you can see where it went from there.

• Thanks Thanks x 8
  2. Nitram

Nitram L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    It was decided all the way back in January:O Good job in keeping it a secret ;)

3. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Lol >.>

4. Fraz

aa Fraz Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.

Positive Ratings:
    What will be next in your "came to be" stories, how zpq and midget fell in love? How tpg weasled his way into Propane? How TF2Maps ended? Who knows...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. zpqrei

Positive Ratings:
    The next one in the series will be on how Robin Walker leaked the contest to the world a good half hour before we were ready. The thread was still in the mod cave!

Then TF2M went down.

Then I had some dinner.

6. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Wait Shmitz and ABS were off staff and they could still see what the contest was about...

I guess they didn't has access to the .vmf or even know what the map look like and I don't think they would start early anyway so I guess its ok...

Oh and zpq don't forget about me PMing you about the contest a mere moments before it hit. :V

7. zpqrei

Positive Ratings:
    Until about a week or two before it started, only I had access to the vmf.

...and yes, yes you did.

8. Okrag

aa Okrag Wall Staples

Positive Ratings:
    They were still on staff when they posted, those screenshots were taken recently and thus display the sponsor bar.

9. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    It's funny how no one is making a swamp map yet that is what Valve is suggesting to use there.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. Draco18s

Draco18s L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Que?

11. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Didn't notice that one. I guess with 116 entries, there was bound to be one.

12. Draco18s

Draco18s L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Someone made a nice list on the Steam forums, broken out by theme. Don't have the URL handy.

I, of course, know what kind of theme my map has, so I knew where to find the thread. ;)

Edit:
    Here's the steam thread:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1365640

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  13. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Huh?

Ok, so it's not exactly swamp themed...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  14. jpr

aa jpr

Positive Ratings:
    how zpq came to be

15. TerabyteST

TerabyteST L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    was the map edited before being given out for the contest? do you have a screenie of how the one given by valve looked, if different?

16. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think it was edited much besides the dispalcements. I sent an email away a while ago asking about ideas they had for this map (as they already seemed to have doen some detailing) and if they'd release any concept images or plans for it when the contest was over. This was the reply:
    Kinda sounds to me like they make the map before coming up with a theme and 'story'

17. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Sean reports to have played this map way back when he visited valve, "cp_caves" (check the cap names) I hear he said it was a lot more detailed back then. It is certainly clear that stuff has been removed from this map before we got it. How much stuff though, is up for debate

18. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    now do something amazing for contest #6.

19. honeymustard

honeymustard L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Must have been detailed a bit, as the displacements had alphas and there were a couple of things left over, like a window model inside some geometry.

20. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Oh god... don't tell me that they were actually going to make it a cave.