Having trouble compressing map!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by LoadUp, Oct 29, 2018.

1. LoadUp

LoadUp L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So i edited the tf2 nach der untoten map for personal use only in sfm posters. But the compression part is broken. I tried it multiple times and all i get from it is the thing saying its complete but the file didnt change by a single kilobyte. Am i doing something wrong?

2. DrSquishy

aa DrSquishy ???

Positive Ratings:
    If you were using it for SFM, I don't think you'd want to repack it, as from what I've heard SFM doesn't properly work with repacked maps.

3. LoadUp

Positive Ratings:
    So how would i go about doing it?

4. DrSquishy

aa DrSquishy ???

Positive Ratings:
    Why do you want to repack it? Usually it's just to reduce the BSP's size but if you're just using it for SFM purposes I wouldn't think that's necessary, no servers are going to host it

5. LoadUp

Positive Ratings:
    It crashes when you load it in sfm. You need to compress it so it doesnt.

6. DrSquishy

aa DrSquishy ???

Positive Ratings:
    If it isn't compressing further, could it be that it is already repacked? To undo that, you use just -repack instead of -repack -compress

7. LoadUp

Positive Ratings:
    Nope this doubled it!

8. DrSquishy

aa DrSquishy ???

Positive Ratings:
    What do you mean by 'doubled'?

9. LoadUp

Positive Ratings:
    Used to be 80.0135kb now its 160.621kb

10. DrSquishy

aa DrSquishy ???

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, that's the point of Unpacking it, reversing the Repacking process which reduces the file size. Does it still crash SFM though?

11. LoadUp

Positive Ratings:
    Yes it still crashes sfm

12. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Repacked (aka compressed for filesize) maps don't work in SFM since they're not supported. Packed (aka custom assets) maps can cause issues in some cases but generally shouldn't.

I made a handy compilation download with both repacking an un-repacking tools based of off YM's tools, you can find that and instructions how to do it here: https://tf2maps.net/downloads/drag-n-drop-repack-unpack-batch-files.2451/

13. LoadUp

Positive Ratings:
    So how would i go about getting to use this map in sfm?

14. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    I edited my post with a link. I just saw that the Dropbox link is ded so wait 2 minutes while I sort that out.

15. LoadUp

Positive Ratings:
    Oh i saw that before. I didnt realize you were the one who made it. I didnt want to bother you cause i thought you killed the project beause of the dead link

16. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    yeeaaaah, that link is dead because I only have the readme file. Sorry about that, I'll get to remaking the batch files when I have time for that (and test them on a PC with TF2 which is currently waiting on maintenance parts). He made a post on what to do here though: https://tf2maps.net/posts/332623/

Make a text file, call it bsprepack.txt. Copy YM's text to it:

Code:
    "..\..\bin\bspzip" -repack -compress %1
    @pause
    Now save that file as a text, close the text editor and rename the file to bsprepack.bat (aka change the file extention). Then place it in /tf/maps, drag your map on it, it should now repack.

Now make a new text file, call it bspunpack.txt. Again copy YM's text to it, but with one alteration:
    Code:
    "..\..\bin\bspzip" -repack %1
    @pause
    You can see the -compress line is gone. Do the same as before (save, rename to bspunpack.bat, drop in /tf/maps) and drag/drop your map onto it. it should now un-repack and actually work in SFM.

17. DrSquishy

aa DrSquishy ???

Positive Ratings:
    The .bat files don't actually need to be in /tf/maps/, only the BSP. I've got mine in users/*/documents/ which makes it a lot easier to locate them, as you don't need to look inbetween all of your BSP files.

18. LoadUp

Positive Ratings:
    Its says unable to find gameinfo.txt?

19. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    True. I just keep em there since I also (used to) compile to /tf/maps so drag'n'dropping was a helluvalot easier since it was in the same folder.
    Yeah, YM's post also mentioned that. I don't know what that was about though, it's been more than two years :D Maybe message him about it.

20. LoadUp

Positive Ratings:
    nvm fixed it