Hammer glitches Overlays while in Texture Mode (No shaded)

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Tuaam, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Tuaam

Tuaam L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Title says it all. Hammer glitches the overlays and they keep flickering.

I'm in normal Textured Polygons mode, Not shaded texture polygons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HolySnickerPuffs

aa HolySnickerPuffs Bad at TF2, Loves Mapping For TF2

Positive Ratings:
    Pretty sure that's normal.

3. MoonFox

MoonFox L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    your textures are more or less doubled, causing the flickering, its normal, but two textures on the same level will fight for view ability.

4. JMaxchill

JMaxchill L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    This only applies to brushes, not overlays. It could be that you've put the overlay over 2 brushes and Hammer doesn't know which to render it on

5. MoonFox

MoonFox L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's really two textures not seamlessly fitting, overlays or not, the same texture on two brushes can glitch. So it's hammer derping in all senses, and last I checked: hammer didn't mess with overlays as they would only render on single brushes, and divisions would break them, or be cut at the seam line.

6. JMaxchill

Positive Ratings:
    Z-fighting only occurs on brushes. Hammer does mess with overlays because they only render on single brushes. I'll put this here again so you can read it:

7. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    last i launched hammer it was just something everyone tolerates

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    He says it's happening in the normal 3D view though, not the shaded 3D view. It shouldn't happen in the non-shaded mode.

9. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    Make sure you are actually using a material that is meant to be an overlay. All other materials will Z-Fight with the surface they are placed on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Mikroscopic

aa Mikroscopic

Positive Ratings:
    I've been getting this problem with the caution tape texture. I'm pretty sure that's meant to be used as an overlay...

11. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    The hazard tape texture has an overlay version and a non-overlay version. Make sure you're using the one that has "overlay" on it. (Or "decal"... I forget which.)

12. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    This shouldn't be an issue either, though, since what Source does with overlays (and possibly also decals? ...no, I think decals are different and that's why they're locked to a certain scale and orientation) is to float it a barely perceptible distance away from the brush it's on; you'll notice this if you try to stretch one across a convex corner and apply it to both faces, because there'll be a tiny gap between the two that you can never get rid of.

13. JMaxchill

Positive Ratings:
    I think I have had this issue before, although it might have been when trying to put an overlay on the border between 2 displacements