Glassworks

CP Glassworks RC7a

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Subscribe on the workshop!

5CP map designed for Highlander and standard pub gameplay.

BZ2 for server owners
Backup Download

Thanks to:
PMAvers and the Penny Arcade community for hosting/ testing every version of this with me!
All the UGC teams (ET, dK, gR, PvP, IFA, ShM, spIro, .knd, -TD-, and everyone else I'm missing!) that have tested the map and provided me AMAZING feedback.
Aly for the feedback and suggestions, as well as the awesome custom props.
Bloodhound for the detailed feedback/ exploit checking.
ScarF4ce for the detailed feedback/ encouragement.
The TF2Maps community for providing an excellent feedback and hosting resource.
My Youtube subscriber nerds for geeking out over my update videos with me and motivating me to keep working on the map!
Everyone else who has given me constructive feedback or just taken a look at the map and let me know what they think
YOU for looking at this right now.

If you need to get a hold of me about the map, contact me either in this thread, via Steam, or my Youtube channel.

Last edited:

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
Looks really good but the displacement to me looks a little off.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Looks really good but the displacement to me looks a little off.

Yeah I need to redo them. I copied some of them right out of cp_crash_72 and ended up squeezing them and doing other various stupid things to them to get them to fit properly.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
We imp. tested it last night and CP 2's spire turned out to a bit too confined and small, however, so that will be something I'll work on for A2. Mid also needs something else to it, not sure what exactly yet.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Updated to A2

3C5D85CFC8B3E36084B31601BD4A3CF7B4F57730

-Completely redid second CP
-Added new route to first CP
-Added new structure to mid
-Fixed asymmetrical aspects of previous version
-Fixed clipping issues

Last edited:

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
So I'm working on an update for this and I've gotten the feedback a few times that the forward spawn doors are always unlocked. Isn't this common in 5CP maps? I know badlands always has the forward spawn door unlocked and that's what I was emulating there.

Is this bad?

Aug 23, 2008
So I'm working on an update for this and I've gotten the feedback a few times that the forward spawn doors are always unlocked. Isn't this common in 5CP maps? I know badlands always has the forward spawn door unlocked and that's what I was emulating there.

Is this bad?

badlands is the only 5cp that actually has the first forward respawn open. Other than that, every single other one is one way.

In terms of balance, if you have a forward spawn door near or with a sightline to a point, it becomes super easy to get health back every time someone pushes. The only reason badlands gets away with this is because the layout is super crazy, and they have to put a pretty severe limit on visibilty from spire to flank.

Additionally, I even think you could close that door up and the map would actually be improved. Maybe even put a small health pack up in the building there next to the small ammo, and you have a pretty viable flank push, as opposed to getting destroyed by a soldier who hangs out near the door blocking any flank attempt for days.

Last edited:

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009

Is this bad?

As far as I remember Badlands is more the exception to the rule. Well used to also have unlocked forward spawn doors but they changed that in the summer update. I'd think it really goes on a case-by-case basis.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Hah, of course the one I checked to confirm my beliefs was the exception!

Well I adjusted the health a bit for that area and I'll give it a test before making the doors one-way only for another version, depending on how it goes.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Glassworks A3 (BZ2)

12-20-13
Alpha 3
-Fixed rail clipping issues
-Added climbable route up to 2nd CP balcony from truck (this might be too convoluted, we'll see)
-Rotated forward spawns to better direct players out of it
-Made first forward spawns one way doors
-Added gameplay-related detailing between mid and second
-Added small platforms next to point in trench for jumps
-Adjusted placement and changed medium health pack to small in the area between second and mid that leads under the point
-Added small health pack just inside main door between first and second areas
-Widened 2nd CP window

I said screw it and made them one way doors anyway.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Alpha 4 released

Downloads in OP

Alpha 4-
Slightly raised cap time of second and first CP
Slightly lowered cap time of center CP
Slightly adjusted spawn times after capture of center and second CP
Replaced a few ramps at mid with raised terrain
Closed off room in front of first forward spawns and place a door there. Yes this makes the truck inside not make sense. Deal with it.
Fixed some clipping issues

Latest overview
FBF970E3D29083CC212067F34D87D7821019CFD0

Door change:
898BEAC62E8E592E19061A3B9105CC19056F780D

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
A5 Released. Downloads in OP.

Alpha 5-
Adjusted health and ammo placement/ sizes
Fixed an exploit allowing a rocket/ sticky jumping player to shoot through a displacement
Turned transparent grating at final point into solid brushwork
Added two small rooms in the underground route in the final building, connected by a windowed detail area.
Added a crate/ ledge route to get up to platforms around final CP
Added cover to second CP capture zone
Slightly lowered cap time of final CP
Fixed ugly displacements in 2nd courtyard by starting from scratch
Fixed a few other ugly displacement issues
Widened a doorway between second and mid
Added dispenser-nobuild just behind the last capture point to prevent a possible exploit
Created some custom materials for the map
Fixed some lighting issues
Improved clipping
Started detailing a bit
Bunch of optimization work

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
Video changelogs > text changelogs, that's for certain. I noticed a lot of those ramps looked a bit 1:1 - will that change in future versions? Nobody likes steep stairs...

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
The Youtuber Gasoline Based just posted an overview of this map, flying around and explaining how he sees the map and some of the strategies he used in a few lobby games he played on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9klN2glfig