Frosty

CTF frosty rc1

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Alright, armchair theory, but still:
1. Flags past player spawn has been a no-go since 2fort
Honestly, it looked like this wasn't an issue. What was an issue, as always, was engineers locking down the intel rooms with sentries. Being able to do that is the #1 reason people hate CTF in TF2, because small rooms with sentries in them make the worst kind of choke points. I'd retool them so it's easy to destroy them from outside their range, or at least somewhere that you can pop in and out quickly without taking splash damage from their rockets.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
the map felt very huge in the gameday. partially because we lost some players i guess but also partially because there is a ton of pathways everywhere. i liked the area above the flagroom and how it made sentries less a burden to deal with. i think the opennness of middle, while being terrible for framerates, contributes to the aesthetics of the map greatly, allowing for more intricate, deep and whatever else vistas that you cant really see in more framerate-oriented maps. the map did feel like it's made for 32 players as i spent relatively a lot of time just running around exploring and sightseeing. also, the narrow vents seemed like something out of oldschool maps. the looks of this map dont even need feedback, the gameplay however most likely needs a fuckton of refinement.

Last edited:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Ha, packbsp don't take cubemap by default ?

When you build cubemaps, the game itself is what automatically overwrites the BSP file with a new copy that has the textures embedded, so you never need third-party tools for cubemaps.

3Dnj

Ducks
aa
Dec 21, 2008
Yes I know what is it now. I made HDR cubemap but not LDR so people with HDR disabled will have missing textures.

Actually that's something I didn't know.

sitebender

L3: Member
Aug 15, 2012
First of all.... the shine texture seems to be a hideous not found purple. But on the plus side, this feels good, and it feels different from other maps / winter maps, since there are less broad outdoor areas than in official maps. There is a good blend of indoor and outdoor areas and it is fun to explore each with the shift in object used (winter, cave, indoors). Spawn rooms look different even if they're the same.

The outdoor area is nice and looks like it has great details. The map could benefit from a little more signs, it seemed like I'd end up running in circles. In all the run to the point felt like quality time spent and not just over in 30 seconds and back like some maps. All classes feel useful. There is a good bottleneck in the middle with great action (and rocket airblast fights) plus a side route for spies. Makes for some good moments. This is a quality map and worth everyone's time to play.

3Dnj

Ducks
aa
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks Bender.

Unfortunatly this map is a horrible mix of every mistake you shouldn't make to have good performance. It need a lot of work and this is because I build it on the ashes of a old map I didn't want to see in the trash.

3Dnj

Ducks
aa
Dec 21, 2008
This and more. Making leaves more simple is my best option.

I also need some extra content like snow roof and all extra snow stuff. I was really silly with func detail and I had the to many t-junction error. The A8 worked because I changed some of them into func_lod wich is not good. I started to make easy props.

But all of this take time and recently I wanted to make a break to do something else because making only tf2 content is not a good thing for me.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
More simple leaves wouldn't help you even if they were dodecahedral now :p What I had in mind was slapping skybrushes on your rooftops and then adjusting their height so that popping in is not noticeable from the ground level.

I was kinda tempted to just do it myself and show you the result, but I remembered that last time I took such an initiative, it wasn't exactly welcomed :D

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Damnit 3DNJ, how about you let some of your detailing skills rub off on the rest of us. I continue to be amazed at the visual style of your maps.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
Obviously you're probably not still working on this map, but is that skybox a custom version of trainyard? And this isn't specific to your map, but how are the glowing windows done like in the 3rd screenshot?

This map is gorgeous and I hope you finish optimizing it someday!

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Obviously you're probably not still working on this map, but is that skybox a custom version of trainyard? And this isn't specific to your map, but how are the glowing windows done like in the 3rd screenshot?

This map is gorgeous and I hope you finish optimizing it someday!

They added a light sprite over the window (I think). I'm not sure of the specific name, but most maps use this for the lights and stuff.

3Dnj

Ducks
aa
Dec 21, 2008
And yes !!! I'm still working on it !

Did some navigation simplifications, a lot of rework in cramped space and optimisation improvement (enough I hope).

EWwmrCQ.jpg

nK0WeUC.jpg

HolfxWd.jpg

zDSwGrY.jpg

eMyMMxE.jpg

Irdaevc.jpg

hSYMo2f.jpg

Sep 19, 2010
Stumbled upon this map a few months ago when I was looking for detailing inspiration. I did feel it was a bit complicated and cramped though, so I'm glad you've decided to revisit. And of course, beautifully detailed. :)

Sweepertank

L2: Junior Member
Oct 4, 2014
The lighting in these screenshots seem, to me, to be what the lighting in snowy stock maps like Viaduct and Barnblitz should have been. Those two maps have somewhat flat, boring lighting while this one seems colder, with the deep blue colors and fog. It's a great improvement to the overall snowy theme.

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
OH man! I loved this map! I really am glad that you are going to be revisiting it. My favorite part about this map when I first found it was how warm and interesting you make the entire thing, even though the landscape is frozen and icy. Instead of boring buildings and skybox, you give the map a sort of 'lived-in' feeling as if this place is used heavily in the summertime. Brilliant detailing.