CTF frosty rc1

Beta 3 of capture the flag Frosty

1. 3Dnj

aa 3Dnj Ducks

Positive Ratings:
    Map is in beta !

Missing a lot of optimisation and polish but you shoudn't be able to go out of bounds. Consider there is still a lot of work to do.

Any crits are welcome but no big changes are incoming, it's an old project I really want to finish.

- About the map, it's a classic capture the flag (2 bases, 2 flags and 3 points to win) with a great choice of paths in the middle (maine road, 1st floor alley and tunnels) but there is some hard choke points when you reach the ennemy base, defence can be very powerfull with a protected engy. The ceiling of the flag room is opened.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    well, it was about time :p

3. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Beautiful! In the 2nd pic, the snowy peaked mountain is the same colour as the sky, in the bit that's under the snow. It looks a little strange, almost as if the snow is floating on nothing. Consider making it more distinct.

4. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
  5. Tekku

aa Tekku

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

You can get in here.

6. 3Dnj

aa 3Dnj Ducks

Positive Ratings:
    Ha, packbsp don't take cubemap by default ? Optimize this will be a hard challenge yeah ^^ that's why I want to rebuild the second line of building.

Ho and nice one tech, didn't see that.

7. CafeineMan

CafeineMan L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Whouhou !! Marvelous ! I Download it right now ! I want to test it !!!

8. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    A few visual nitpicks:

[​IMG]
    The metal supports in these rooms should maybe be set to disable per-vertex lighting. That goes for the computer fronts too.

[​IMG]
    I realize that pipe is in shadow, but it should probably be lightened to match the other one with an info_lighting.

[​IMG]
    I'm not convinced the lightmap back there needs to be that high-scale. That's an out-of-the-way area. Also don't forget to update your forklift to the latest version!

[​IMG]
    This lightmap, on the other hand, needs to be higher scale. And the light source needs to be moved so the light doesn't bleed through the top of the fixture.

[​IMG]
    Something funny going on with lighting here. Also that snow-to-dirt transition texture might need to be redone; it looks rather rushed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Looks gorgeous, but I don't think it's gonna change my opinion of ctf :<

About a month ago I spent a while in Oregon and on a cloudy or foggy day every mountain looked like that. Here's a picture I carefully edited to actually bring Mt. Hood into visibility. Before the edit it just looked like there were some black lines in the sky.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  10. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    Impromptu this

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    - Self-explanatory

[​IMG]

- Way too bright

[​IMG]

- Nitpicking, but if it's a door, it doesn't looks like.

[​IMG]

- Flying

[​IMG]

- It would be a nice touch if you put a red glow on the top of this

Overall, it's HUGE in term of scale, i'm not a fan about your brushwork at the outdoor, it's really straight, need some angles :p

Also nice work on the sounds ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    i may or may not have romantic feelings regarding this map.

13. Zee

Zee L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
  14. Sel

Sel Banned

Positive Ratings:
    The flickering on the screens looks silly. There is no way a military (or para-military) would be using shoddy equipment like that.

What I assume you're referencing is the effect that happened when CRT monitors were recorded by a camera. Just in case you didn't already know this, those did not appear to the human eye, they were only picked up by cameras.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    welp, ok. Still, you edited the picture to make the mountain more visible for a reason, no?

16. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    true

17. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Kind of reminds me of when Nine/Rav or who ever tried to pull off the snow-desert theme in that koth map. although scientifically it makes sense, it doesn't translate well to the average gamer.

It's the sad part of designing visuals for a narrative. Sometimes being accurate just confuses people.

18. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    badly needs optimization and clipping. very open layout so im not sure how possible optimization is. layout-wise it seems pretty good, i wouldnt mind a bit less length and maybe a bit more width though.

19. 3Dnj

aa 3Dnj Ducks

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks everyone for all the feedbacks ! I'll will work on a more optimized version during this summer (need to make something else actually)

20. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, armchair theory, but still:
    1. Flags past player spawn has been a no-go since 2fort
    2. In my experience, mirror symmetry and CTF don't go well together (Flag carriers bump into each other due to prefered run routes connecting directly)

• Thanks Thanks x 2