First map

R3dRuM

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 13, 2008
Seems like a solid layout, looking forward to alpha.

Im not going to criticize on looks atm, because i can see its orange :D .
This map is going to look nice tf2 themed.

Ace

L3: Member
Feb 15, 2008
Thanks Red

Yes, still got to do the ground displacements and the cliff is straight edged, not done that yet. Sort of forgot about while trying to get the damn thing to make a cave entrance and line it all up with the floor thanks for the reminder.

Obviously - I say this cause it's obvious to me and not necessarily the people looking at the pics, this is only half the map. The other half is just a mirror image - the semi-circular building will be fully round when finished.

I think I am going to get some botch up lights, quick spawn room and working CP's, this will mean that it can be played on some test servers. I want to check game play before I start on the detail, lighting proper, texturing...and other stuff.

Do you guys think its in an Alpha-able state, or needs a bit more (like full lighting, semi-textured) before I release it?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Do you guys think its in an Alpha-able state, or needs a bit more (like full lighting, semi-textured) before I release it?

Requirements for non-private alphas (generally):
At minimum:
-A sealed map (can't get under it or anything)
-Mockup lighting (so players can see whats going on in all maps)
-Functioning spawnrooms with resupply lockers (so you don't have to have ammo crates)
-Working capture points/flags/cart...

Ace

Feb 15, 2008
Alpha 1 released.

Download Here

No its not fully textured and yes the lighting is all temporary.

Known Issuses:

Blue Spawn Door gets stuck open
Texture error in one of the tunnels (not that it matters as they are still in dev textures)

All I reallly want is general comments about the flow of the map, I released quite early because this is my first map and I'm not quite sure what to expect yet, so all comments welcome.

Feedback so far:

Points cap too fast
Can get confusing when exiting forward respawns as you have to double back on yourself.

Any other comments welcome.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007

Ace

Feb 15, 2008
:p I said when it's finished Sniper-Youme-gen

Standard

L1: Registered
May 19, 2008
Hey, I grabed the map and ran around to check it out. It look decent for a first map but there are some things you could change that would make it much better. They are mainly design and style things that you will be able to build on from what you think looks good when you have more experiance with hammer tools and what they can do.

Try not to ever have a sheer drop like the map has on one of its sides, also, cliffs dont need to be as big/tall are they are right now. They cast a huge shadow over a big part of the map and tbh, they only need to block the players view from being able to see outside the mapwhen you have them positioned as they are. They are abit too overpowering as they stand right now.

I went into the tunnel under the map and i must say i really liked that bit.

Ace

Feb 15, 2008
Alpha 2 released get it here

All known previous issues fixed
Cap times adjusted, see link for other changes.
I have also done a small amount of texturing just to get used to that aspect of hammer.

Any comments about about play (or the small textured areas) are welcome, however all the lighting is still temporary so the textures don't look perfect.

Thanks for the comments Standard like your suggestions but haven't had a chance to add them for this update.
Thinking about the cliff, and I agree.
I am going to lower them down near the edges (as they need to stay as high in the middle as the central CP is behind them).
The drop is temporary, eventually I am going to add a 3D skybox to clean everything up around the edges but thats not top on my todo list at the moment as it doesn't affect play and I want to get play related issues done with first.

And beofre anyone says. Yes, there is a bit of a displacement line up error in the textured room (aka a hole), but as have not displaced the ajoining tunnels its obvious why it is there.

Chris|Gramps

L1: Registered
Mar 26, 2008
Personally, from you list I would do them in the following order:

1 - Functioning Respawn Rooms
2 - CP's that work
3 - Playtesting
4 - Textures
5 - Displacements
6 - Props/details
7 - Lighting/Optimisation

You'll need to have spawn rooms in order to get in the map, workin caps to test the game play during play testing. I made the mistake of doing labourious displacments and texture placement before playtesting, then had to remove some of the hard work as it didnt play right. Get game play etc sorted before making it look nice and pretty.

Ace

Feb 15, 2008
Don't want ma thread to die :p

Anyway, whats you guys think of Red Spawn (95% done).

rsa702.jpg

So I don't have to spam with more posts:

It was metal beams, they were just plastered over to look nicer. :D
(Looks off when there is wall on the edge and off when they are all metal)

Last edited:

Géza!

L4: Comfortable Member
May 12, 2008
The metal texture on the beams look a bit strange... But otherwise I say it's cool.

Earl

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 21, 2007
The slightly magenta-tinted lighting looks weird.

As for the beams, id either make them all concrete or all metal....or you could add a metal "lip" at the boundary...

Ace

Feb 15, 2008
Ok, i'll add a lip :D
It's starting to look like a real map now, ahhh, got that slightly satisfied feeling when I finished it.
I like mood lighting, unfortunatly on TF2 you can't really use it anywhere otherwise you can't tell what team someone is on, the spawn room is about the only place where it doesn't matter.
For all the fans of BLU:
bsa701.jpg

Ok, I might tone down the blu lighting a bit

Ace

Feb 15, 2008
Biggest cave area. (Not a main fighting area - I don't think).

a804.jpg

a805.jpg

(Top picture is missing ladder, still not sure if it's gona stay in or not)