EU Gameday - Friday, March 4

Apr 13, 2009
Why texture it when im going to change alot of it after testing? lots of maps have dev textures on still while testing. Also the name is tempory

On that subject : yes, this is true, but orange dev textures are visually aggressive, there's a bunch of greys that are functionally identical and much less unpleasant to look at. "Orange maps" generally refers to maps that are intentionally textured with dev textures and will stay that way forever.

D4RKSL4Y3R

L1: Registered
Dec 21, 2010
On that subject : yes, this is true, but orange dev textures are visually aggressive, there's a bunch of greys that are functionally identical and much less unpleasant to look at. "Orange maps" generally refers to maps that are intentionally textured with dev textures and will stay that way forever.

Thanks for that, had no idea there wher other dev textures!

Jimmy Nicholls

L2: Junior Member
Feb 15, 2011
Ah I see. Just because of the name I assumed it was remaining an orange map (like cp_orange_x3 or whatever its called). Actually for testing purposes I think there is an argument to be made for texturing it properly. I realised while trying out loc_n_lol's watermill that the detailing of a map has a huge impact on how much I enjoy the level. But then you want to have the as much of the basic layout of the map set out in stone before you start detailing it, so it's a damned if you do damned if you don't sort of situation.

Harpo_53

L2: Junior Member
Apr 24, 2010
Put "dev" into the texture search.

Use SLIME for everything.

Thank me later.

I followed this advice and my map became the second most popular TF2 map in existence (behind 2fort) within 48 hours.

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
Alright guys, sorry I wasn't there but paypal disputed a payment and my Steam account is locked until further notice.