Estate

CTF Estate b6

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Doublepost bump for b6. Full changelog on front page.

Here's what the CAP ZONE hologram looks like since I couldn't get the SS into the main page.
ctf_estate_b60007.jpg

Mar 23, 2010
looks snazzy. why does it say CRE ZONE? and the outline going underground is kinda weird.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
can't be helped til i get a better-fitting model for the pedestal (that's the best prop suitable for now, and I have to bury half of it to put the intel at the right height). That CRE ZONE is where the gap in continuity lies; i couldn't get it to loop perfectly around the cylindrical brush being used there.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
A) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5gMKWF_djs

This hole is pretty small, i walked clear over it 3 times (and the scout took 2 goes at it also). I dunno whether it's the collision model on the rock trim or the handle or what but you should either remove the collision from the stone trim and/or make the hole bigger so that it's easier to fall into.

B) It looked like i could jump onto here to reach the capture point but i could not. If it's clipped you should make it more obvious that it's an out of bounds area.

f-1.jpg

c) There was some bug where on the second round the BLU intel spawned 2 copies. It kinda looks like you move the intel around like you would in nuetral invade mode, with a hidden room under the map.

f-2.jpg

f-3.jpg

d) I meantioned this in game but i would recommend removing the open/close function on this areaportal:

f-4.jpg

Even open areaportals cull the rendering of objects not in direct LoS to the player and the generally small areas "in the base" mean that the density of detail could never be too excessive and you always have the option of giving the props over zealous fade distances. You can't really see into the spawn anyway because there's not much room outside.

General feedback:

Although your paths were narrow they were never as narrow as those found in the infamous CTF map 2fort (which is a positive) and the number of paths to access any objective reduced the chokey-ness of said corridors. This is however feedback from a 8vs8-6vs6 game so maybe more players would make the corridors annoying to pass through, i don't know. But it didn't seem to be a problem as we went through 2 or 3 complete rounds where both teams captured most of the intels per round in the 20-30 minute time limit.

You have a lot of arrows around and this has already been mentioned. Although it's a bit messy it does define important paths from secondary paths which allowed the game to flow better than if they had not existed. If you want to reduce the arrow count within the map you should make the primary paths more obvious by exclusively making them stone, and the secondary paths dirt. This should imply a lot better how to reach objectives in the outside areas.

All in all the map played well with reduced player numbers, Each class had their role, although medics were quite vulnerable due to the amount of flanking within the base defenders can do and scouts weren't as effective due to the amount of corridors (but their speed was still an advantage because of all the corners they could escape past).

My only major complaint at the moment is that assaulting C is a lot harder than D, a single sentry can lock down at least 4 of 5 entrance points. It wasn't impossible to take down, engineers gambled the strength of that position a lot of left the sentry ungaurded. Shooting at the SG out of range with a shotgun usually did the trick, otherwise flanking it from several locations was a pretty decisive tactic. Besides this grabbing the intel at C i did run at the enemy spawn by accident instead of towards my own base.

Last edited: