Sep 1, 2009
Bominomcon is a model D:
And so is the floating eyeball D:
a viaduct-event map D:

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
hold it, I didn't find the ent triggering the uber yet. might be a hard coded thing triggering it.

Untouch has discovered that recompiling the map doesn't give you uber or anything... so it's hard coded.

Did tf_logic_holiday always exist? I had no idea maps could force birthday mode

There's an info_intermission pointing at the env_tonemap_controller for some reason

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
I hate getting killed after touching the book :(

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I swear i have shitty luck with the portals. Three times i've passed through them as they close. One time i was standing ON TOP of monoculous as he died (No, i dont know how). I didn't touch the book somehow.

I hate getting killed after touching the book :(

Cry me a river guys.

Some of us have been unable to play TF2 at all since before the pre-halloween stuff and at the rate Valve are fixing it, wont be able to play this year's halloween event at all

I can't even test my own maps.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Cry me a river guys.

Some of us have been unable to play TF2 at all since before the pre-halloween stuff and at the rate Valve are fixing it, wont be able to play this year's halloween event at all

I can't even test my own maps.

I believe it. They still haven't fixed the patchy Steam connection that's causing missing user icons and times when I can't get to my loadout, nor the bug that makes hitting Tab crash the game maybe one time out of five. Their whole QA team must be on an extended vacation to the Land of Can't-Give-a-Fuck.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Untouch has discovered that recompiling the map doesn't give you uber or anything... so it's hard coded.

Did tf_logic_holiday always exist? I had no idea maps could force birthday mode

There's an info_intermission pointing at the env_tonemap_controller for some reason

yyler, there is also a ragdoll magnet...

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Not in patch notes:
-New trigger to add uber
-Delicious new bare trees & tree stumps
-Scrolling fog material
-That new cobblestone mangy needed badly
-Useless "insta-belltower" prop
-Tiki torches
-Stone step prop
-Wooden pier props
- 1:1 Tree cards
yesyesyes

And, as I just discovered, the first documented official use of the burning_torch particle! And those bell tower props are named "house_hat" in the prop list. Oh, Valve.

Pretty sure those bare trees and stumps are old though.

Doctor Paprika

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 24, 2011
And those bell tower props are named "house_hat" in the prop list. Oh, Valve.

LOL

I haven't been able to play the update yet (not a crash complaint, just haven't had the time), but it looks like they really took things up a notch this year with the bugnutty antics. I just really hope the costume sets are only equippable during the Halloween event, because the Soldier's (hilarious) robot suit is the first accessory set I've seen that actually completely fucks the silhouette recognition.

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
You're not missing much, it's worse to play on then 2fort, might be alright with fewer numbers but meh.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I swear i have shitty luck with the portals. Three times i've passed through them as they close. One time i was standing ON TOP of monoculous as he died (No, i dont know how). I didn't touch the book somehow.

Yea, well... last year i played every day of the halloween weekend (approximately 26 hours of gameplay) and i only ever physically saw the halloween gift with me own eyes once; and it was picked up by some scout 3 ft infront of me who already acquired it 5 times that very evening.

Shit happens.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yea, well... last year i played every day of the halloween weekend (approximately 26 hours of gameplay) and i only ever physically saw the halloween gift with me own eyes once; and it was picked up by some scout 3 ft infront of me who already acquired it 5 times that very evening.

Shit happens.

Shit doesn't happen, probability happens.

If everyone is playing normally, it averages out to a 1/24 chance of getting the gift, at 1 gift every 5 minutes even after 2 hours your chances of getting one is still only 65%. It will take 6 hours of continuous play on manor/eyeaduct to reach 95% chance of getting a gift first.

To get all of the items through gifts, you're looking at playing the entire length of the halloween event solidly on viaduct.

Hence their very reasonable price in the mann co. store.

(yeah I also just watched some guy get two in a row :glare:)

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Shit doesn't happen, probability happens.

If everyone is playing normally, it averages out to a 1/24 chance of getting the gift, at 1 gift every 5 minutes even after 2 hours your chances of getting one is still only 65%. It will take 6 hours of continuous play on manor/eyeaduct to reach 95% chance of getting a gift first.

To get all of the items through gifts, you're looking at playing the entire length of the halloween event solidly on viaduct.

Hence their very reasonable price in the mann co. store.

(yeah I also just watched some guy get two in a row :glare:)

That might have been true if it was handed out to 1 player in the server every 5 mins as a weapon/hat drop, but it is not. You have to compete against the chances that A) you are not dead, B) it drops near you, C) it is not stolen by a faster more mobile class than you and D) you are not prevented from reaching it by griefers. I would have thought you'd have realised by now you can't define TF2 gameplay with a bunch of base figures like dividing against the number of players present.

The fact that it should be relatively easy to acquire, but people are not having luck with it, is exactly why it is shitty. Like betting tails in a coin toss (50% probability of winning) 1000 times and getting 1000 heads is a shitty piece of luck. "The phrase is an acknowledgment that bad things happen to people for no particular reason". Like playing the halloween weekend solid and never acquiring an item drop with a supposed success rate of acquirement of "65-95%".

Besides, define "normal play". Because i don't think what you think "normal play" is is what "normal play" actually is. As far as i have observed normal play (the average attitude of a TF2 player) consists of players griefing each other by killing each other in the "underworld" instead of mutually going for the achievement.

If everyone played normally, including the potential presence of griefers, being dead, being away from the drop, being a low speed-low mobility class and being beaten to the item drop by say a scout, i wouldn't be surprised if the actual figure was closer to 20-30% than 65-95%.

Last edited:

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
quick question - what's so special about the halloween drops that people are so disappointed they don't get them, plus is it worse than last year or something because to me this sounds like the exact same bs again everybody complained about a year ago already

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well it's people being frustrated because they're on the receving end of nothing more than bad luck. Or at least that's how i understand it.

Also, it probably is the same arguements we had last year.

Last edited: