Drag

Drag rc1

Tyker

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 1, 2009
I have been running into a problem for a while now and I thought posting here might help out.

The mossy/old/destroyed/dirty walls in this map are made with painted displacements. It's not a very optimised solution, but I think it looks good considering I can make any shape and any kind of blend using this technique. :closedeyes:
However, lighting is a problem:
one, two, three.
All of the textures in these three screenshots are perfectly aligned, but the lighting on regular brushes and displacements is vastly different and creates seams. :confused:

I have tried using overlays in multiple ways but I cannot make it look as good as with displacements. :crying:

What do you think is a good solution to counter or eliminate this problem, if any?
Maybe a way to create better looking overlays?
Know of a way to make the lighting the same for brushes and displacements?
Not including the moss at all and/or using something else?

Thanks, for any help, in advance! :thumbup:

Tyker

Jun 1, 2009

I made me a poster!
Newest release is cp_drag_b14, download here.

tsRAB.jpg

xKGCq.jpg

GPgfC.jpg

fPjZp.jpg

VhKgZ.jpg

TWd8M.jpg

pwwBz.jpg

ptlCV.jpg

There have been some weird problems with A and B being caped, time running out and blue still winning without capping C. This might be handled server side as I cannot recreate this locally, but on some servers, something goes wrong. If anybody knows what could cause this, please tell me!

Last edited:

waxpax

Feb 25, 2011
We tried to pug this tonight, but the server crashed twice when offense tried to cap C. Idk if it's something with the map or just something weird with the server, but it's weird that it crashed at about the same point each time. Maybe it's something to do with tournament mode?

Here are the stv's of the play before the server crashed, hopefully they aren't broken:
http://www.mediafire.com/?rkf0rj788refkj8
http://www.mediafire.com/?71os2jvmh6700d3

Tyker

Jun 1, 2009
Thank you for pugging on it! And lots of thanks for recording it!

I have not had any crashes yet on cp_drag, so I think it is a coincidence that it crashed twice at the same moment. I will test it out some time and see if I can recreate it.

soylent robot

L420: High Member
May 26, 2009
had a little run around, found a few detail things, nothing too serious
FEFFE6995C6E9C84F25938B223FA8187EAE7E8DC

got your signs mixed up, i think
A4D92B197B1970D6DEF13E68AD8C7FA1ED099433

the crates on that shelf are completely black

gonna try and catch the game day today, i want to see this map in a game!

owly-oop

im birb
aa
Apr 14, 2009
The server emptied out when I played this, so i can't comment on the gameplay. I didn't notice anything weird/wrong/bad from looking at it. I really liked the detailing and I think you nailed the swamp theme.

Tyker

Jun 1, 2009
The fact that its going through the boards on the left looks odd, maybe work with the alpha around there?
Yes, I got a big too excited in getting it to work that I need to rework a lot of areas.

Those sings look strange as hell.
Signs? Things? Do you mean the A, B and arrow signs? What do you find strange about them?

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
The arrow signs, they just look really strangely shaped and ugly, square or circle would be better shape for them.

Tyker

Jun 1, 2009
Yesterday I created a model for the destroyed wall at C:
6oivE.jpg

I gave C a metal detail instead of wood:
96oMl.jpg

ep25Z.jpg

And there are some bug and gameplay fixes. I am still ironing out some things though.
Next version will be rc!