Drag rc1

By Tyker

1. Tyker

Tyker L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    A gravelpit style map with a swamp theme.

Now in beta flavour. And 50% less filesize!

The purpose of this map is for me to learn. Layouts, design, modelling, texturing, the source engine, how to handle feedback, how to implement feedback, how to plan, etc. While learning though, I also wish to creating something that people will like to play and like to look at. Fun times and good looks are what I strive for, and any and all feedback is always welcome!

Special thanks to:
    Ravidge
    Acegimo
    YM
    Irish Taxi Driver
    The Swamp pack team
    2fort2furious for massive testing!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    FYI you are not supposed to have the same texture going vertical that is also going horizontal (or at least VERY rarely).

It looks like it would play pretty well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Tyker

Positive Ratings:
    If you mean the green rock (karst) texture: I cannot find a decent rocky floor texture to fit with the karst, so that is why it is just a big cube of karst texture right now.

4. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    I downloaded it and took a look around. It looks very well thought out, gameplay wise. There were a few minor points which I should mention:
    -On point B, having it with so much water nearby totally negates the pyro as a class
    -It is a bit confusing finding your way from A to B and from B to C.
    -The whole map looks a bit samey, but im sure this will change
    -The skybox doesnt compiment your textures, try using one from the swamp theme pack, im sure they will make your map look even better.

Good luck, and I cant wait to see it in a gameday!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Tyker

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks a lot for the feedback! I will try and explain the first point:

The water underneath point B makes the pyro less useful, but when a player decides to jump down into the water to extinguish themselves they lose a lot of time trying to get back on land again (few exit points, exit points only on the far sides, lots of pillars to navigate). That is the idea, and I hope this will show in the gameday.

6. Mr.Late

Mr.Late L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    I don't know if you really need this door here. It is easy to spam stickies behind it, because the door give so much cover. And basically C is easy to defend because it is easy spam every entrance to C. Or maybe it was just teams, not sure... :D

[​IMG]
    Dead ends = I don't like

[​IMG]
    Entrances on B are on same wall, so it is easy to defend just with demomen and engineers.

[​IMG]
    SPAM. Red have huge advantage here. They can spam stuff from above to that tunnel. Maybe we failed because we tried only attack from here... Dunno.

This map can be very good map. You just need to edit layout a bit and make it feel more open. Now it feels a little maze like. Good job so far!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  7. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    BLU can open RED's spawn doors, and the doors around C made it difficult to push into. A lot of the paths into C were just asking for spam.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Tyker

Positive Ratings:
  9. Fraz

aa Fraz Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.

Positive Ratings:
    I really didn't like B. C was a bit spammy when we played, but that's because Blue were pushing from the one direction, and red had a huge height advantage. A seemed fine to me, from what I can remember.

[​IMG]

I got kritz'd as a soldier when 3 or 4 of the enemy were bunched up there. Got them all in 2 rockets and filled my buff banner, might wanna extend the cover a bit more or move the back walla away a bit. Splash damage owns it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Tyker

Positive Ratings:
  11. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    This sign should be clipped or nonsolid
    [​IMG]

Increase the scale of your water to 1
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    I don't have much to say, or rather I didn't see enough to make any conclusions. But I definitely had fun. I think you have nailed the scale, which I have to admit I was a bit worried about when you started (a1).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Mr.Late

Mr.Late L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    [1]
    There were some problematic sightlines. (Like A-B tunnel, you can see A point really well from there)

A and B were a bit too hard to defend I think.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Fredrik

Fredrik L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    When I tested the map was running around as a soldier on those rooves at B all the time.
    It's realy easy to camp up there, and almost impossible for ppl to kill you.
    Otherwise, Nice map!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Tyker

Positive Ratings:
    Finally on beta status. I am looking for any and all detail advice and feedback!

[EDIT]
    Also went to b1a, minor fixes.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  16. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    make fog color brownish = +1

17. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    imo the 122 mb filesize might empty a lot of servers bc not everyone will want to wait until it loads.
    did you pack all the swamp theme? if you pack only what you use and also look for suitable stock alternatives to as many new stuff as possible, that should cut down the filesize
    also, the distances sometimes feel too distancy :p

18. Tyker

Positive Ratings:
  19. Tyker

Positive Ratings:
    updated to b3.

I am particularly looking for some feedback on point C.
    Is the brick nice? Would wood look better? Are the lights okay? Is the detail down below C up to par? etc.

20. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings: