Votes: 85 82.5%
  • no

Votes: 18 17.5%

• Total voters

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
TBH that's a fair worry. With this contest after the game types where posted as to what we are going with it was public posted i think within 24-36 hours.

Other contests normally all the same cause lets be honest.. its hard to Keep IM-D quiet about something he is excited about =)

Actually all the contests before were set up by me, with debate in chat beforehand, so really the place to be if you want a head start is the tf2maps.net chat room!
Although this one was not run by me and having the ctf thing required a bit more private talk in our special hidden-from-your-eyes-forum.

On a slightly related tangent.. you can see the current mods here - http://forums.tf2maps.net/showgroups.php They are the only people who knew details of the contest before hand, as stated before Boojum, shmitz and Myself are not entering, which leaves ID DP and DJ (I love how short I can make your names guys :p) which to be fair, (no offense intended) aren't likely to steal the show, even if they start after the announcement. DJ might produce a decent map but both him and ID still have a lot to learn about map making :p

And if DrPepper makes a full map he should win, hands down.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Ah, back to the real point I was gunna make with that link: There are a few more active mapper mods who are no longer mods, like mangy most notably. he did not have prior knowledge of the contest details. so you can put your mind to rest there.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
i thinking about entering something on this one since i didnt have diddly squat with setting it up :3

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
After some inspiration I must append my statement:
I may enter, but if I do my goal will be to attain the lowest score. So it's not like you'd need to worry about me.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
A good map is a good map. I'd hate to see what good ideas could come from this.

Btw, Should slate be allowed to enter? It's been made long before the actual announcement.

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
Y'all are mappers too, you're just eager as us to showcase your talent, it'd be cruel to ban anyone from an event like this just because they've decided to take a bigger step towards helping the community. Sure, there's no real way to make sure a mod didn't start beforehand, but personally I trust you guys enough to believe you wouldn't do something dishonorable like that.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
I say yes becuase our mods aren't corrupt (yet) and if they do pull something retarded (like only mod's maps get played on gameday) I'm sure with our eternal vigilance we would stop them.

Also do ID and DP map?

future mods that may get appointed during the course of the contest (remember when we asked for applications?).

I'll sign up!

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
That was a while ago, Mar. Partly in response to the competitions being run and more frequent need for people in a position to run the server and organise events.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Thanks for the input everyone :D I would like to note that w/ the exception of TPG, nobody who voted 'no' actually gave a reason. And I am rather pleased to see the general good will of our community ;)

Shaar

L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin
Aug 7, 2008
I dont see why not, provided there isn't any abuse/bias in the votes.

Inqwel

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 2, 2008
I don't want to discourage anyone from creating a fun new map. If they put the effort into making one, and its deemed fun by the community and the judges, then yes, go ahead and let them enter it.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Thank you again for the discussion everyone :) I hope that the concerns of TPG have been addressed. I've said it before and I'll say it again; most of the time, I'm just making this up as I go. Nobody on the TF2M staff was actually planning to use one of the game modes prior to the contest being created. I would absolutely love to see our resident webmasters throw themselves into the frenzy, lol. As for myself, I actually have a bit more free time now that school is out, though summer classes are still a pain. So hopefully all of you skeptics will finally get a taste of my true power ;)

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007

Pyromaster

L1: Registered
May 29, 2009
Mods are people too, and as moddy, moddish, modtacular, moddifying, and whatevever other suffixes that they are, they should still have the right to post maps for competitions, because you've trusted them for everything else, so they're probably not going to suddenly turn on the community, because they're good people and we should know that.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
I voted no, not because i dont trust the mods/admins... im sure they do it fair as after all, they like good maps also. its more because the mods and admins often have their maps known enough on here already. I think the less known mappers need the promotions more hence i think its better to keep mods/admins unable to win.

Ofcourse, mods should be able to have their maps to become rated also. After all, ratings say how good a map is so even if they dont have any promotion from officialy winning they can at least see how well they would have done otherwise.

And last, in the final vote remove the name of the mapper from the list if you are going to add maps from mods or admins. now people just search for a map of youme and just pick those because those maps are known.