Designing a KOTH map, unsure of main point area.

chuckster

L1: Registered
Aug 25, 2017
2ecgfus.png

[not to scale]

This is the main warehouse my KOTH point is located in. The red and blue squares are cargo crates and there are 2 stacked on top of each other. The orange lines are doorways and the grey circle is the CP. I am reworking the rest of the map but I was unsure about the point area.

The map I am developing plans to have 2 large railroads that trains will often pass over, changing up gameplay whenever they hit (They'll have flat cars on them and alternate routes for avoidance.). My main CP building, however, I am unsure about. How I would have snipers is something I am still working on and I am contemplating extra entrances to the building. Feedback would be mighty. Thanks!

seanji

Jan 13, 2019
Your point is inside a building? Those doorways coming in from above and below are the only ways into the point?

In future, can you prototype these ideas in Hammer when posting to the forums? It's difficult to read anybody's blueprints without lengthy, explicit design details that nobody wants to read; even then, factors such as height variation are often left out. You don't even need to compile your map, just take an in-Hammer screenshot.

chuckster

Aug 25, 2017
Your point is inside a building? Those doorways coming in from above and below are the only ways into the point?

Yes, and yes. It definitely occured to me that there werent enough entrances. Should I ditch the building? I always thought KOTH_Sawmill had interesting gameplay, especially on the CP the building held.

In future, can you prototype these ideas in Hammer when posting to the forums?

Absolutely. I will do this in the future. As for now, do you want me to make a mockup of this blueprint in Hammer and post pictures? I haven't made my layout in Hammer because I am still working on it. But I can make a mockup of the warehouse if you wish.

Billo

aa
Feb 8, 2016
I would advice you to focus on a specific area only when drawing a layout. For instance when i was reworking sharkbay I drew the port area of the map only where the ship was until i came up with a decent design and then I made that. I kept working on many different layouts ( I reached at least 7 different ones) until I was happy with what I made. My advice is make what you are thinking and keep adding/reworking what you like/dislike.

Billo

aa
Feb 8, 2016
this area looks pretty good but its narrow. I suggest opening it up a little more.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
From the sniper balcony, it is possible to see the entire area, which is certainly overpowered. There's some potential for cover in the form of shipping crates, but none of them are tall enough to hide behind. I'd raise some of them up and/or drop down the sniper balcony.

In addition to making the room wider overall, of course.

Billo

aa
Feb 8, 2016
well there are multiple sightlines where you think to yourself that they might be too powerfull ( upward third point for instance ) but after a gameplay session you realise that they are not as big of a deal as you originally thought. My advice , give it a shot first but if you feel like adding cover as well yea do it.

chuckster

Aug 25, 2017
From the sniper balcony, it is possible to see the entire area, which is certainly overpowered. There's some potential for cover in the form of shipping crates, but none of them are tall enough to hide behind. I'd raise some of them up and/or drop down the sniper balcony.

In addition to making the room wider overall, of course.
Definitely noted. Making the room wider would give me a lot more space for cancelling sightlines regardless so it shouldn’t be an issue.

For now though, I’ll probably do what basilhs333 said and leave the sightlines until testing. Chances are either way I’m going to be making changes to them anyways.

As for the shipping container solution, I’m trying to hold back from having them too high. Any higher and the attackers will have too much verticality to work with. I might be wrong about that though so please let me know.