Defeat Day

CP Defeat Day b2 fix fix

Jan 20, 2019
cp_defeatday - Enemy on the horizon. Remember, every setback a step forward. Every day of defeat a victory!

The enemy is on the horizon. We have to stop them, and then liberate Blu-occupied Badlands! Remember! Every setback a step forward. Every failure is an extra opportunity for success. Every day of defeat a victory!

cp_defeatday - 1 stage 3 point attack/defend map for the Frontline! project. It was inspired by Valve's Day of Defeat and has slight similarities.

BLU starts in the bunker, and RED starts in the cafe. The first control point is the radio station, which must be captured to cut off the link in RED (if they of course used it).
View attachment 95020
Second control point is a street in the center of which a tank is stuck. RED spawns at the arms shop (which is a warehouse of provisions), so it is of strategic importance.
View attachment 95021
Last point is the area in front of the residence of the REDs, in the center of which is a fountain.
View attachment 95022

This is my first map and it is still in development. I will be glad to hear your opinion and get your feedback. You need to install frontline supply pack!

Last edited:

⁽ᴵᴰᴳ⁾CaptainRussia94

L2: Junior Member
Nov 26, 2018
Interesting, but looking at the screenshots and reading the description, 2 things come to mind:

This map seems... flat, no vertically differing terrain, you might want to do something about that.

Making others go and download packs is just going to have alot of missing content since people will only be getting the map from the server when joining. You should look into packing the contents into your map, Compile Pal makes this process very simple.

I can tell your new here and you want to show off your first work, it looks better than my first work! But still, these are just my thoughts.
Keep it up.

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
repacking your map/using less custom assets or something would be very welcome. At 176MB this isn't a fun filesize to download from a server at all

That's the plan

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 8, 2018
Cool map concept. I think the main problem with this map is that its just way to flat and open, which doesn't make it very fun to play on. I think if you added more height variation around the control points and buildings, as well as make more flank routes, it would really go along way to making the map better.

That's the plan

Jul 8, 2018
There are still two huge site-lines leading out of red spawn:

Attachments

• 20190219151154_1.jpg
    20190219151154_1.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 20190219151159_1.jpg
    20190219151159_1.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 202

That's the plan

Jul 8, 2018
Maybe you could do something like this instead? It's really up to you as to how you go about it, it just needs to be fixed somehow.

Attachments

• defeat_day_edit.png
    defeat_day_edit.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 165

That's the plan

Jul 8, 2018
Also, as another side note, I would try and finish the main design of the map first before moving to the detailing stage and adding soundscapes, proper textures, etc. In alpha its really important to try and lock down the game play as best you can. Although the map has some issues, I think it has the potential to be very good. Keep it up!

That's the plan

Jul 8, 2018
Thanks for the fix, appreciate it. Could you still try and fix the other major site-line though? The one by blue spawn at the first point? I know it can be a bit hard to sacrifice parts of the map you've worked on, but sometimes its just for the better.

Jan 20, 2019
I think I cant support this map anymore. It was inspired by Valve's DOD, has some similarities with dod_donner (thats why second point is copy of it). It was one of my favorite game, but I have so many problems with that map, such as overscaling, weird geometry and huge sightlines. Also, it is my first map and I think you shouldt wait some good mapping here.

This update for the last playtest of that map. After that, I will publish some assets of that map and vmf too.

So, what is updated?
Added new flank route to the first point
Changed some spawning timer
Deleted some displacements and put brushes
FINALLY builded cubemaps

I hope you had good time playing that map in early days...

Read the rest of this update entry...