cp_vulture

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'm not sure, since some of your screens are taken from out of bound area's, but the minumum distance for your fog seems quite short. I dunno if that's intentional or not.. I can't work out whether it's good or bad either. But it certainly has my attention.. and i would recommend to increase it's minimum distance. If only to throw up a screenie for some feedback on it.

I know Dustbowl has a fairly short fog distance but it always has a lot of buildings breaking line of site. The first cp of stage 1 is the only time it really comes into effect and it makes it incredibly annoying spotting snipers, but you seem to have a long max fog distance so that atleast doesn't appear to be a problem.

Aragon

L1: Registered
Nov 19, 2008
I not sure if you set it this way but when you cap out all 6 points you get a one win instead of the typical get a point per control point. Maybe it would be better with a point per capture point. If you decide to change it i might run it in a custom pug and see how it goes.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
You're probably right about the fog, grazr. The distance is very short (although it's actually larger than Dustbowl's), and I should probably do something about it.

And the scoring system...well, to be honest I had completely forgotten to change it. Of course, I want a team to score one point per round, so I'll make sure to change that for a2.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this map on gameday. The layout was very clean and tight. I look forward to future iterations.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Thank you for the comment.

I was hoping for some constructive feedback from those of you who played on gameday, however. I mean, we eventually got the server almost full, so there must be someone with something to tell me.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I really don't have much to say.

Nothing was a problem except for the clipping here, but considering that this is in early alpha stages, I was certain that this is only a makeshift ramp.

It really was a very simply polished layout and I have no complaints thus far.

Last edited:

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
It seems a lot less big when there's more people than our usual 3-4 people tests.

As discussed during game day, the second section is a bit long, and the canyon leading up to the dangerous pit seems like a pretty severe choke point for being the second section. It felt more like the 3rd stage of dustbowl (though it gets very wide after). You know the long hallway room right after the canyon, on the right? Maybe put a shortcut from the canyon into there, cave/basement maybe.

Since we only got to play the 3rd part once, it's pretty hard to say..but I couldn't find a way to get up on the ledge as red. The door that looked like it would take me there wouldn't open. I would ask that if the door not opening was intentional, that you have the hand overlay that indicates that show up.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Do you remember what I said about adding a control point to the second stage in that area between the first and second cp's? I am still going to uphold that, either that or shorten the second stage like you had mentioned.

And I don't have much to criticize mostly because I thought the game play was excellent. And when the game play is good, and you can't say anything about the visuals just yet (because they're all still dev textures), I'll just have to wait until further versions.

This is one map I'm very interested in playing in the future.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Stage 2 is definitely getting shortened. Adding another Control Point is a nice idea, but that's not really what I was aiming for. I've completely removed the canyon chokepoint in stage 2, shortening the stage a lot as well. I'm also giving BLU more of an advantage by giving them easier access to the roof, because I don't think anyone EVER went up there. :p

I'm considering letting RED access the ledge you're talking about, GRIM, since it actually seems pretty pointless to close it off.

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
To be honest i was a bit disappointed, I just expected a little more(gameplay), I know it's still in A1, so i will give you some suggestions for stage 1 (the stage i hated the most):

It's only stage 1 for now:

cpvulturea1c0003aw4.jpg

cpvulturea1c0001ok1.jpg

cpvulturea1c0002ip1.jpg

cpvulturea1c0004zx6.jpg

my.php

console errors:
consoletq0.jpg

I have no screenie for it (it went just to fast), but you should make it a little harder to advance from cp1 to cp2 (decrease spawn time for defenders, remove a route, make the routes longer)
I aslo didnt see a good sentry position at cp2 when noclipping :/

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
That's some good suggestions. I'm going to start working on more shelter at A asap, and I'll probably use many of your suggestions, since all I've come up with is "add rocks".
EDIT: I can't quite make out that big doodle next to the cap. What is it?

I disagree with there being a too long way to the exit on the right in the second image you posted, but I agree when it comes to the one on the far left. I'll probably have to fix that. Dunno about adding stairs, we'll see.

Those too high "stairs" are gone, I don't know what I was thinking when I added them. In fact, the whole area down the was kind of "filler", but I want to keep it. There's now water down there, so you can climb up on the little platform from the water.

As for your suggestion about adding an extra route, I probably will. I'm also probably going to completely redesign the area around the point, it's terrible.

I've got at least one fix for the sentry positions near point 2, but I don't know if it's good enough. Playtests will show.

Last edited:

Zeewier

Sep 20, 2008
the "doodle" is a small tunnel like thing to balance it slightly for short range classes in that area.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Finished cp_vulture_a2 today, I'll build mah cubemaps and pakrat it soon.

vulture91.jpg

I kinda redesigned stage 1-1, putting in a crapload of cover since it was a Sniper heaven. This should solve that problem nicely.

vulture92.jpg

Here's stage 2-1. For those who have played it, you'll be relieved to see that it's much shorter.

vulture93.jpg

Changed 2-2 a bit so that attackers can't just pop out of the one-way grate and cap instantly.

Zeewier

Sep 20, 2008
Nice :) I like to see how some of the ideas i posted come to life err you know what i mean :p

And you did finished a2 today :p

bomc

L2: Junior Member
Sep 25, 2008
It looks very nice, i hope we will be able to test it with some more people next gameday.

And i hope you fixed that sign-problem in stage 2 ;)

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
It looks very nice, i hope we will be able to test it with some more people next gameday.

And i hope you fixed that sign-problem in stage 2 ;)

I didn't. It's not important. :p

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Released cp_vulture_a2
-- Stage 1
- Added water to the bottom of the pit by the first point.
- Added lots of cover to the the first area.
- Added a new building near the bridge in the first area.
- Completely redesigned the first capture area.
- Changed location of RED's spawn door to be slightly closer to the point.
- Added a small room and a sentry position near the second point.
-- Stage 2
- Slightly streamlined movement from BLU spawn to point 1.
- Removed a big chokepoint between point 1 and point 2.
- Removed an unnecessary health + ammo couple.
- Changed BLU's "safe room" (the room with the one-way door) slightly.
- Gave BLU easy access to the rooftop by point 2.
- Gave RED access to BLU's setup room (not spawn) after setup is over.
- Fixed a bug with players being able to enter stage 3 directly after stage 2
is won by BLU, but before the next round actually starts.
-- Stage 3
- Gave RED access to BLU's setup room (not spawn) after setup is over.
- Minor changes to the area outside the first point.
- RED's upper spawn door is no longer closed after first cap
-- General
- Increased size of most doorways.
- Decreased size of all stair steps from 1:1 to 1:2.
- Increased fog distance (fog is less intense).
- Decreased RED's spawn time.

KNOWN ISSUES
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- You can get stuck on fences by BLU's second and third spawns.
- BLU only scores a point for winning all three stages.
- Signs that are supposed to disappear stick out of the ground afterwards.
- Stage 2-1 has some cliffs with the wrong texture.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I decided to try my hand at proper cliff displacements, and here are the results. I actually think they turned out well.

vuldisp1.png

vuldisp2.png

vuldisp3.png

vuldisp4.png