Contest map configs on our server

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
gonna go out on a CRAZY LIMB and say people will survive if they cant play engineer on a ctf map.

Grab the intel? thats crazy talk.

Still havent seen one person tell me why its a bad idea other than "shit happens" and "people want to play engineer"
im going to make an effort to get a 12man server with cevo configs to playtest entries as close to a comp environment as possible.

Dec 25, 2007
Still havent seen one person tell me why its a bad idea other than "shit happens" and "people want to play engineer"
"People want to play engineer" is a great reason. This is, after all, a game that people play because they want to. I fully agree with you that 5 engis was crazy, and meant TPG didn't get the expected result out of his test, but it's still a valid test result: it shows that his map, and/or gamemode, is vulnerable to engi camping. That's valuable to know, since this is one of the key reasons 2fort fails (although not the only reason it fails so spectacularly for comp).

And it's fixable: some gamemodes don't suffer this problem at all; the layout can be designed to make such strategies ineffective, so an engi-camping team would be prone to losing; or as a last resort, key areas can be func_nobuild'd.

If you are designing your map solely aiming for 6v6 comp play and don't care about 12v12 pub play, then you are wasting your time testing it in 12v12 pub. But if you care about pub play, then learn what the tests teach you. The key to playtesting is to take the results you get and analyze them, not to arbitrarily change the rules so that result doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
im going to make an effort to get a 12man server with cevo configs to playtest entries as close to a comp environment as possible.

A separate server with the right set-up would indeed be awesome.

Failing that, some funky plugin to allow people to vote between "Comp Testing mode" and "Normal" would be handy.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I'm going to suggest that these maps need 20/25 minutes instead of a full 30. They're generally smaller than other maps and they're symmetrical

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
MAP WILL BE SCORED ON TOTAL FLAG CAPS PER TIME - NOT FIRST TO NUMBER OF CAPS. Remember this when designing your layouts.

So wait.. this makes no logical sense. capping the intel more scores our maps points?

I was hoping to see maps that are well balanced. But i guess this is what happens when you let the comp scene in.

I mean, i don't mean to be so negative to the comp scene, i'm all for making the odd map for minority players, but in terms of scoring maps points this doesn't seem a decent scoring method.

Different modes will see different scoring rates as well. 6 or so maps are invade and will inevitably see at least half as many caps as regular CTF. There's making maps for comp ctf contest and then there's going out on a limb.

Either I or Flame mis-interpreted what that rule actually means. I'd like to think i was wrong. I was merely under the impression that the ingame scoring method for teams had changed.

Imo the scoring shouldnt be done unless the test is in a 6v6 manner, otherwise its skewed, and youll have people sabotaging eachother's maps during testing (not that anyone is that malicious but if I had a map and was losing by .2 caps a minute I'd probably try to slow down the other guys)

Implies the map with the fastest cap rate gets additional points or something.

Last edited:

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
I'm going to suggest that these maps need 20/25 minutes instead of a full 30. They're generally smaller than other maps and they're symmetrical

This would probably make sense for the public test, but not for the competetive one, as maps are played 30 minutes there.

Dec 25, 2007
So wait.. this makes no logical sense. capping the intel more scores our maps points?

No. That's talking about how a winning team is decided in games in the map. Not how the contest winner is decided.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
No. That's talking about how a winning team is decided in games in the map. Not how the contest winner is decided.

That's what i thought. Flames post was confusing. I couldn't see how it would seriously be done like that.

shdw.puppet

L2: Junior Member
Oct 26, 2008
ABS, why dont you guys get the official CEVO or TWL configs for comp ctf_? they remove crits, make the game time limit based and all that stuff, the only bad part is that it requires people to be mature enough not to start the game until all players are ready...

shdw.puppet

L2: Junior Member
Oct 26, 2008
@grazr, games are scored that way to avoid teams getting raped by one bad push or one particularly hard middle block, #captures allows for the team orient to break down and for it to become useful to just run in and grief the flag out by running in, making a bit of progress and then dying repeat until the whole server calls you gay.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
add ctf_fusion

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
I think you missed ctf_metalwood on there, even though it had a proper playtest the other gameday...

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
please add ctf_bedrock, or did you get the config done on gameday?

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Do you think you could disable crits and remove random damage spread?