Contest map configs on our server

Discussion in 'Contests' started by A Boojum Snark, Jan 10, 2010.

1. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    I'll be making wildcard configs (ctf_mapname_*) for each contest map that removes the capture limit so that they can be tested under proper scoring conditions at any and all times.
    edit: and removes capture crits, timelimit 23
    no spreads, no random crits

I will check the map forum now and then for new maps labeled as contest entries, but if I happen to miss your map feel free to post here.

So far I have them up for:
    sabotage
    assembly
    vortex
    alaska
    yellowstone
    sandvichcredit
    arid
    home_front
    clocktower
    aqueduct
    bristen
    nutomic
    stockpile
    soda
    falcon
    pinewood_valley
    wildfire
    norma
    rippleside
    solar
    hidden
    mercy
    nodrifts
    deadline
    acquiesce
    livestock
    isis
    cis
    opposite
    lockdown
    fusion
    dare
    mexico
    agriculture
    paramidia
    cloudburst
    fogbow
    chicane
    bedrock
    vitalism
    solvent
    wastedmeerkat
    reactor
    deliverance
    feudlands
    monument
    flash
    pytholos
    wiretap
    converge
    snowsquall
    autumn
    gumption
    union
    stormdrain
    slope
    geneseefalls
    convection
    underhanded
    hayloft
    2cube
    agenda
    raditude
    dammed
    agency
    frostgully
    summit
    bog
    lumberlost
    landfall
    arsenal
    glug
    danger
    drain
    syphon
    terminal
    runoff
    manicmine

• Thanks Thanks x 15
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. Flame

aa Flame

Positive Ratings:
    I still think you should set an engi limit on the server for this. there were some asshats on TPG's map today and blue team had 5 sentry guns sitting on and around the intelligence.

Dont give me that "get an uber demo and take em out" bs either because some of the map layouts make it hard to get multiple people into the enemy base at a time. CTF is also a notoriously hard medic gamemode.

If you want fairness you probably should consider limiting engis to 2 on the servers, at least until the contest is over. Otherwise people like TPG will get shat on scorewise due to morons playing a team of all engis.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Sweet! Thanks ABS! Oh and please do what flame said!

4. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    I'd have to see if the class limit plugin isn't broken any more and/or find another one. I'm not going to deal with tournament mode. You could try yelling at people too if there are too many. 5 of any class on any map is stupid.

5. Flame

aa Flame

Positive Ratings:
    Idk how the scoring works anyway. since this is comp ctf obviously 12v12 data wont give you accurate scoring.

Engis and teams of multiple heavies and scouts will skew it. obviously 12v12 all scouts on atrophy will rack in more points than 12v12 all engis on well.

Imo the scoring shouldnt be done unless the test is in a 6v6 manner, otherwise its skewed, and youll have people sabotaging eachother's maps during testing (not that anyone is that malicious but if I had a map and was losing by .2 caps a minute I'd probably try to slow down the other guys)

idk we'll see how it plays out i guess. you'd also probably benefit from 2 engi limits always anyway. if your team cant win a pl map with one to 2 engis, your team doesnt deserve the win anyway.

6. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    im against limiting any class to 2, 3 minimum, preferably 4
    preventing people from from choosing what classes they want isn't going to help balance very much...restrict it to 2 engies and the map may seem perfectly balanced, then remove it and suddenly you realize engies are op...
    That said, 5 is a bit retarded, and you might have just considered telling them they had 5 engies, some of them would have switched, if not, kick one.

though...since your making these per map configs, people could just request certain class limits for their map specifically

7. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    What do you mean when you say "scoring?"

8. Flame

aa Flame

Positive Ratings:
    ok than who in this forum isnt going to request 0?
    lets be realistic here. its a 12v12 server. if 1/3 of both teams is playing engis, the other 2/3 will not enjoy it half as much
    2 is a good number. This is a COMP ctf competition. not a pub ctf competition. limit the engis.

And @ Dr.Spud

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  9. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, and I'm sure many of us want to see how well our maps work for pub play too, since that's a much larger (if perhaps less prestigious) audience.
    Hard class limits during the 6v6 contest map gamedays are good; but at other times are probably inappropriate.

10. Flame

aa Flame

Positive Ratings:
    you missed the part where tpg got shitty playtest feedback today due to 5 people on blue going engi.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    It more or less shutdown the map for over half the playtest. :/

12. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    1) I don't see how using comp scoring makes a map's play "skewed" when it's not 6v6. I mean what's the worst that could happen, one team wins by a lot? That's not much worse than one team winning 3-0 with regular scoring.

2) Class restrictions are obnoxious with full servers - I'd really want to avoid them. Plus remember that this isn't the first time we've ever tested CTF maps, and I've never before had a problem with people stacking engineer and ruining a test. It sounds like what happened was a fluke.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  13. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    You see...i absolutely knew this would come up...

You are testing it on a 12vs12 server, you will get 12v12 feedback, trying to transfer that in any way to 6v6 feedback is just going to come back flawed

and to be perfectly honest, if 1/3 of the team is playing any class neither team will be having as much fun as they could

14. owly-oop

aa owly-oop im birb

Positive Ratings:
    add ctf_sandvichcredit

i don't plan on changing the name until beta :D

15. Flame

aa Flame

Positive Ratings:
    What does that even mean? How is limiting engineers to 2 a bad idea, since thats my entire argument

16. Westerhound

Westerhound L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Since people like to have possibility to play any class they want. Thats pretty much all there is. Then if 5 people are engineers it ruins the test of course, but, shit happens. You shouldnt change the game for everything just cause it fails once in one map.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  17. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Any chance of removing crit boost?

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  18. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    I knew there were two things I wanted in those configs, couldn't remember what it was.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Could you add ctf_nutomic, and disable the crits after each cap?

20. Flame

aa Flame

Positive Ratings:
    gonna go out on a CRAZY LIMB and say people will survive if they cant play engineer on a ctf map.

Grab the intel? thats crazy talk.

Still havent seen one person tell me why its a bad idea other than "shit happens" and "people want to play engineer"