Contest idea thread!

Discussion in 'Contests' started by FaTony, Oct 8, 2008.

1. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    The thing is that decompiling other people's maps and then trying to pawn them off as your own is generally frowned upon here, so I don't think that would go over well. :-(

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Zeewier

Zeewier L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Some1 maps an orange map and test it till perfect balance and the let that be the map that needs a new skin. But I don't think that's a good idea, because we get 20 of the same maps (with different skins)

3. Tigger

Tigger L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think that's the point though... if everyone starts with the same basis, you do yours, and then you get to see how other people approached the same problem.

Less of a contest really, more of a mapping exercise. But I think it would be awesome to see how different people dress up the same map.

4. Ida

aa Ida deer

Positive Ratings:
    I think an arena map contest would be nice. It won't take a long time to make an arena map, since they can literally be as tiny as you want them to be, plus they rarely need any hidden routes or anything.

5. Banni

Banni L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Another plus for arena maps is that playtesting a dozen or so of them on a gameday would be much quicker than the same number of payload maps, given arena rounds only tend to last for a few minutes each. If we are expected to judge maps on how they play, I'd say arena maps are most likely to get a fairer test than payload as players would be able to see more of them.
    Plus, when you are sitting out an arena round, can you fly around in spectator mode? If so, this is an ideal time to have a look over the little details that you wouldn't have time to during the heat of battle.

6. Ida

aa Ida deer

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, you can fly around when you're sitting out. That's a very good point, and a very good reason to make an arena contest.

7. lerlerson

lerlerson L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Contest Suggestion: Custom Gametype Contest

Rules:

The map must introduce a new type of gameplay element onto the map that is central. Having a Control Point map that you need to bring flags to to capture is an example, albeit not a very good idea to work with seeing as it isn't really 'new' or 'exciting'.

Having a working HUD that works with the gametype will probably make people enjoy it more, but isn't absolutely neccesary, due to the limitations of Team Fortress 2's SDK. The HUD doesn't neccesarily need to be beautiful, so long as it gives a general idea of what you're supposed to be doing. Let's see how you can mold control point images, neh?

The gametype can be a modified version of another gametype, like a combination between Control Points and Payload, but it can't be nearly exactly the same, but with a tiny little different.

8. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    huh...now that sounds interesting...
    at least the results might be interesting, depends if enough people were able to get anything to work...

one fun thing would be the winning gametype of that competition would spawn a new competition of mapping for that gametype

9. elfworks

elfworks L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    "Rosebud..."
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_Kane)

Tigger thinks I should explain myself, so here goes:

What I meant was ...

I think this suggestion is a good idea.

The power of words to evoke imagery should not be understated.

"Rosebud" was chosen as an example of how a single word drove a renowned classic movie.

Choose the right word and who knows what people will come up with?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  10. Inqwel

Inqwel L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    1. How about a contest designed around using a certain required props. I know prop-room is listed already, but when I read that I think of a room that gamers don't enter. I'm talking more about prop-assigned contests. (Ex. - Design an area X by y, using the flowing props: industrialtower001, truss002, etc.)

2. Another variation on the prop contest is prop-limiting designing an area and having a limit to how many actual props you can use. Like 25 props only for the area. Choose wisely.

3. Intel Room design contest. Must have 2-3 entrances, size variation, option of two submissions: red or blue. It does not have to necessarily work for actually picking up the Intel.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  11. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    I like idea #1, that could lead to some pretty interesting stuff.

12. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Reminds me of the "props" skit from Whose line is it anyways?

13. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Ideas so far:
    1. 3D skybox
    2. Capture point area
    3. Some kind of templated contest
    4. Arena map
    5. Prop room
    6. Texture contest
    7. Tutorial contest

I've discounted modeling and custom game mode ideas, is there anything else that you'd like to do for a contest or which of these do you like best? Now the spawnroom competition is over the next one will be starting soonish.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  14. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    I'd like to see a timed competition, whereby mappers create the best map - regardless of size or quality - in a week. This, I heard was done in 24 hours with the best CS:S mappers, and it really worked, so a week could give ample time to make a small decent map.

A template competition is another idea I had, and has been mentioned before, although I think the template should n ot be restrictive such that all the maps are similar, but so that ey items such as spawns, CPs etc. are in the same place whilst the layout can be radically different.

It would also be interesting to have a balancing contest, all mappers start with the same map template, and then have a certain amount of time to balance the map. Whichever map plays the best on a specially organised gameday wins.

So, thoughts?

15. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    capture point area

16. Zeewier

Zeewier L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Most people, like me, don't have enough time to make a good map within a week.

Not really fair, some mappers have their own servers, or host lan's with friends, on wich they can test the balance, and most others don't.

17. Inqwel

Inqwel L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Capture Point Area or Arena Map (because they can be about the same size).

18. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Making a good map in a week is just bullshit and you know it. Nobody can do that.
    I'm not a fan for entire maps, I don't have the time for it. I like little scenes though, so a capture point is cool.

19. bob+M|M+

bob+M|M+ L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    what about an x by y outdoor scenery beyond the area of gameplay using (alpine, dessert, etc..) style

20. DaBeatzProject

aa DaBeatzProject

Positive Ratings:
    You could make a voting thread for this too. Vote for the idea you like the most!