Community Spirit

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Does the server have psycho stats? (Never seen any tf2maps server stats)

Because when we got a good running server we could get a lot of nice stats from it :)

And I don't see why this server couldn't become a good running server like e.g. the NoHeroes servers. We could ask them to add it to their server list since they have a lot of members, and support this community :). And that would be a great way to get some nice psycho stats :)

Maybe we should only add the maps of the last (1-3) gameday(s) to the rotation/rtv so the maps that need testing get the testing it needs :)

Great idea, our server should give us stats, considering we are testing maps. :thumbup1:

And I still think running the gameday rotation until next gameday would be a great idea (with votemap, so we can change the map to ours if the server is empty and invite people to test).

Ultimately, we need to be the server everyone wants their custom map on. And the server people go to to play customs.

FaTony

Banned
Mar 25, 2008
Do think there are ways that we, as a whole, could be more helpful to each other?
Golden days are gone. Too much ppl.
How can we better support custom content?
Go fpsbanana way. Um, that would be bad.
In theory, every member of this community is here b/c they enjoy custom TF2.
Enjoy what? Their custom tf2 or another guys'? I guess people who enjoy other people's custom tf2 just google "tf2 maps" or go to fpsbanana to dl some cra...custom content. Most of people here want to prove that they can do something.

Every community has it's youth, maturity, old age and death. I think we are in maturity state. We still accepting new people, but we already have our own rules and hierarchy, and it will be too difficult to the new guys to change something.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I'm worried that with RTV, some maps would be totally ignored or played almost never.

I hate fighting with others only to end up only playing a handful of the entire rotation.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
we already have our own rules and hierarchy, and it will be too difficult to the new guys to change something.

What do you mean by that exactly?

and i wouldn't have said there were too many people. I forsee many more before anyone gets 'worried' about what that means. By which time i imagine Djive/Immortal/Pepper would have selected a chosen few contributers to help moderate the growth, as they did with Youme and Dox.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
Mappers should have it set so their multiround map is treated as one round, like Gold Rush and Dustbowl are, so it is four rounds of the map, not four mini-rounds, cutting out in the middle.

perhaps your not aware of this...but neither dustbowl or goldrush are set up so they're treated as one round...i spend a good month testing every edit in the cfgs...
its just far easier and probably more effective to have it based on timers

and right now the server is annoying unstable, only recently has arena worked at all, but now lag spikes are showing up, should work at finding the cause of those before we add anything new to the server which might shatter its delicate balance. As for the people who want to add psychostats...browser integration isn't exactly the most fun of things to do, and there is a high probability of completely killing the server...i still say i want a complete re-install so we can start fresh and build from the ground up

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Yeah, I've been playing around on the server and it might be better to just do a 30-minute timelimit with voting for the next map at the end of the round.

Our server still stinks and isn't even up to date (dispensocart!). A fresh install of srcds and and sourcemod would probably do it some good. And a decent configuration.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
exactly, ill complain to immortal or pepper about that as they only seem to respond when you use steam <_<

id say after this gameday would be a good time to try this

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Wow! I really appreciate the feedback everyone :) Tbh, I wasn't expecting so many replies. Right now I'm just trying to assimilate all of this information. The '32 wips' thread in site news also has a ton of good ideas, so I'm trying to gather everything together. I'll make a proper response/summary once I have all this organized.

Last edited:

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
I don't know if it will work, but I've decided to try a custom every 3rd map on my server (see sig), on the grounds that no one likes to DL every map change. The thing of it is, if we want non-mappers to get on the servers, we need to get 12-16 ppl on to start it up.

from what I've seen anyway, and from my personal gaming preferences, the servers in my favorites are empty a lot...but once 8+ ppl are on there I'll join in, and then the server has ppl playing for the next 8-12 hours before it dies again.

If we could pick a couple of times a day where everyone available would log on to the server (1 pm and 8 pm?) we'd stand a lot better chance of bringing in new people during that time. Hopefully we can get the server up and running (get ppl on it) and then go back to mapping or whatever, and the fact that it's not empty will draw in more.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Psycho stats would actually help a lot.

What with Team Win Tracking and heatmaps... I find them invaluable data.

Last edited:

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Alright, I've read through all the posts here (took me freakin forever, lol). Even FaTony manages to be helpful sometimes ;) I don't think getting a second server is a good idea. Right now, it's only used on gamedays, and I'm not sure how we could make it more active during the week. Should the need arise, I'm positive that one of our many members w/ servers could help out.

I really like the idea of having a highlighted map for the week. Something that runs like 3 or 4 times during rotation. Adding a stat system is definitely possible. Inviting competitive groups to play customs is a very novel idea, and something I'll be thinking about. I recently added some ingame ads/reminders like 'please visit the forums to give feedback', so hopefully that will help as well.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I never realized we could RTV on the server. That's great.
I don't think it's good for gameday, that needs a set schedule and needs to run as is.

But I've had friends asking when my map is gonna run, or when can we playtest again and I'm left fumbling for a server/time. Reading threads on 4+ forums that promise map tests but it never seems to happen.

All the time I could've been saying join me at tf2maps server and we'll rock the vote. I think that's gonna help get me on the server more. If I see it empty with a map I don't want to play with nobody on there's not much draw.

Also, I have had friends try to join gameday so but it's been so busy lately all I can tell them is my map should on at 0:00, hopefully there will be an open spot.

If we leave all wip gameday maps on the server all week and can rtv we can pretty much test anytime after it's been loaded.