CP Coldfront

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
Not meaning to put a downer or anything on that lovely poster thing of yours, but if you care, it should be "will be able to flank..."

I loved the soundscapes btw :)

Jamster

L1: Registered
Oct 28, 2008
Icarus, man, this map is godtier, well done man. Our server really likes it and personally think it's one of your best to date, easily, seriously. Great great work. If this isn't in the next valve update I will eat my well earned hats.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008

Download:
Mirror 1
Mirror 2
Mirror 3

Release Notes, B3
I apologize to server owners for releasing B3 so soon after B2. I realize how bothersome it may be to upload maps to your servers. I assure you that this won't happen again.
Consider B3 to be a release candidate. Most of the map is solid, and any remaining changes are going to be relatively minor. I'm still hoping for valve to let me flag my custom particles as snow, soon.

-Prevented players from reentering forward spawn rooms
-Updated spawn door logic. They now have a larger trigger area, and the doors move more naturally
-Expanded new route into CP2 and added small healthpack in it
-Fixed shiny snow/ground texture
-General FPS improvements
-Fixed known bugs

Last edited:

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
Few minor errors that bug me, they won't really change anything but it just seems cleaner to me.

"SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_skybox/skycards_forest128bump.mdl)"
When you get errors like that simply change the prop from a prop_static to a prop_dynamic or prop_detail. It doesn't really matter but it just looks a lot nicer in the console without 9 of those popping up.

"Spawnpoint at (-1013.81 979.25 64.00) is not clear."
I seemed to spawn just fine but look into that, I'm sure you already know what it means.

Besides those two minor things I really love your map, the soundscapes sound quite amazing. That and the snowy wind effect around the third point is awesome.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Thanks for bringing it up, they've been fixed.

The vphysics error could be fixed just by disabling collision on the models

And the spawnpoints were random entities hidden underneath the mid point... dunno how it got there :p

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
Just found a bug when testing b3 locally, but I don't think it'd be a massive detriment for now.

You know the "roll-up" garage-door-style gate that's past the second point? It rolls up, but doesn't come back down until you start a new round.

(Using a screen-shot for reference, it'd be the one that the tire tracks lead through.)

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Yes, Valve used it in Gorge to make it seem like Red was rolling out an immediate defense. It's a nice little detail.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Releasing a special version for competitive players. The most common complaint about Coldfront is the FPS on mid. More specifically, the blizzard weather effect is causing low-end machines to suffer sharp drops in performance.

cp_coldfront_b3pro is essentially the same as B3, only with the weather effects forcibly removed. Hopefully this means more users can enjoy the map now :)

Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/831776/cp_coldfront_b3pro.zip

Mar 23, 2010
Coldfront made it into ESEA Season 6!

Congratulations! Did you have to submit it? or do they actively look for maps and such.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I had nothing to do with it. It was picked up and supported by some competitive players. Next thing I know I have people congratulating me. :D

Jaywalker

Apr 2, 2010
Wow, good job! I love the map. Do you think the pro version is what tipped the balance into being accepted for comp play?

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
It was accepted before that. The reason why "pro" was even made at all was because I learned that it's in ESEA.

It's just B3 without the weather particles.

Jaywalker

Apr 2, 2010
It was accepted before that. The reason why "pro" was even made at all was because I learned that it's in ESEA.

It's just B3 without the weather particles.

Yeah, I understood what it was :p.

It's an incredible map. I was just awestruck running through it. I honestly can't think of an official map that beats it for aesthetic impact, although I haven't played it - c'mon, some English server HAS to put this in its rota!

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
To be honest, the fps on B3 felt fine to me. I hope adding another version won't just add to more confusion.

Either way, one heck of a job with this map! I'm looking forward to seeing it in various leagues.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I had nothing to do with it. It was picked up and supported by some competitive players. Next thing I know I have people congratulating me. :D

Yes... and why was it that you released B3 a day after B2 again? :p