CP Coldfront

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
A small healthkit sounds like an interesting idea, might make for some cool gameplay. I'd say try it out - I wouldn't change the house itself around just yet.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Thanks!

What does everyone think of a small healthpack on the mid point? --to make it slightly less of a deathpit.

It's a death pit because of all the different directions you can be attacked from. Your visbility while on the point is like 20%, and the walls that block your vision also block your escape. That's what makes it a death pit, not any imbalance of health distribution. I mean you have 2 mediums on the central areas flank so health isn't exactly non-existant. If you're capping the point anyone can jump in from anywhere and that's pretty much what kills you, regardless of whether there's a small health kit. Anyone outside of the point has map control as they have all the health, ammo, and visibilty (which = useful intelligence such as reinforcements or lack there of), whilst people on the point are just waiting for a counter attack which could be of any strength, class make up or from any direction. The surprise attackers could probably even position themselves so that they manage to take the health kit in the attack because it's that surprise factor that makes being on the point so dangerous.

If you're worried about the control point being a point of handi-cap then you need to consider visibility and defendability.

Last edited:

Citizen Snips

L3: Member
Apr 8, 2010
I always found it weird that the doors leading from the second point to the outside is shut at the beginning of the map, opens when you walk through them, then never shut again.

They should either stay open, or shut again after people walk through. Preferably the latter. It could prove for some effective methods of recovery for the attacking team.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Release Candidate 3 (3.0)

Download:
Mirror 1
Mirror 2
Mirror 3

Release Notes, RC3
-Improvements in visual detail and FPS
-Added Selentic's roof snow models
-Closed windows on mid cabin and removed some walls to make it less of a deathtrap
-Changes have been made to CP2 to make it easier to push in from mid:
*Raised cap area
*Added ramp and shortened the upper platform overlooking the capture area
*Widened the doorways for both side routes from mid
-Added small ammopack between CP1-CP2
-Modified tonemaps to improve contrast

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
There was a bug regarding to the archive file I uploaded.

If you downloaded RC3 before I made this post, you'll need to redownload it again to correct the issue. I'm sorry.

Powerlord

L3: Member
May 8, 2010
There was a bug regarding to the archive file I uploaded.

If you downloaded RC3 before I made this post, you'll need to redownload it again to correct the issue. I'm sorry.

Yay, you fixed a problem with it.

However... I'm disappointed that you released two versions of the map with the exact same filename.

If anyone did download it from my server (well, its mirror) since I added it to my rotation yesterday, I now have to explain to them why the version of the map on the server is different and what they need to do to stop the server from kicking them when the map comes up in rotation.

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
The issue wasn't too bad (I found it for him). It was just that he forgot to pakrat the textures for the new roof models by Selentic, and thus the roofs of the bases were pink & black. Sorta killed the mood. It was pretty quick so he just fixed it right away and kept the same name.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
rocks.jpg

-Added rocks as cover niches
-looks better

new1.jpg

-Leveled the snow mound
-Should get rid of the annoying problem where they're either out of sight or you're already dead
-also looks better

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
be careful with your edits to middle. I'm still not a fan of the fact that the drop-downs onto the point are gone. And between removing those and flattening the hills, you're slowly making it more... plain.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Like every change I make, there is a reason behind it.

Really, it plays a lot better without the drop-down ambushing, and leveling the snow a bit will help with visibility.

Both of which are more important than how plain you think it looks.

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
FYI, the hill is still there, but it's just been made less extreme when sloping up against the house. It's enough that you can see over the hill now

cp_coldfront0007.jpg

Mar 23, 2010
I find it annoying how the middle shack is the only cover and relief on the "main path" no health. nothing. Wouldn't mind just a few walls ;)