Coalburn

Steff0o

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2009
nice work on the details.

Maybe add a light to the lamp in the second pic? It would look logic, and brighten the darkness up so it would stand out more.

Actually had a light there first :p
but i looked really weird to have a active lamp at clear daylight :O

Walker

L2: Junior Member
Oct 22, 2009
A bit of feedback from the playtest earlier today:

koth_ventoux_a2a0001.jpg

I kept trying to jump over the lower roof here coming out of spawn, only to hit the corner. Maybe get rid of the playerclip on it, since there's no real advantage to being up there, or just make a trigger_push.

koth_ventoux_a2a0002.jpg

It was a annoying to have to go all the way back into this corner to get this health kit and the ammo in the other corner. Move them out a little more.

Steff0o

May 31, 2009
Alpha 3 Now Released
-Openend a side route to the middle
-Heightend up the ceiling of the middle
-Moved and added areaportal that caused weird things
-Added some lights to make some routes more clear
-Deleted some window props because some people thought there where too many

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Good map. :)

Main problem was that everybody took the upper route I think, the lower routes were not that often used. I told you the problem already: the spawn is closer to the upper route than the lower routes. I suggest moving the spawn to the other side of the yard, so the lower route is closer to the spawn, and the higher route is a longer walk. :)

Other than that, no major problems that I found. Keep going! :D

Steff0o

May 31, 2009
Alpha 3a now up
i added a fence to make the route up a bit longer to make it more logical that you have to use the lower route

is this a good sulution or not?
please say why :p

Steff0o

May 31, 2009
Anothe set of detail pictures :D
detail44.jpg

detail58.jpg

detail54.jpg

detail49.jpg

Steff0o

May 31, 2009
Thank you,

as you can see i also added my awesome story that matches the detailling(youme if you're reading this, that's called context, right?)
and since no-one reads my blog nobody saw it before D:
oh, someone correct my story at grammar :p

Mar 23, 2010
a fun KOTH map?!?!?!?!

I'll have to see this for myself.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
After playing this tonight, i noticed you still need to bring your spawn forwards. It's a good 5 - 7 seconds to get out of the immediate spawn exit area (depending on class), and occasionally you get stuck on the ends of the logs too. Then it's another 4-5 seconds to get from the campable door, onto the point. Oh, and that fence only makes things worse, i would say remove it. This may sound like fairly reasonable travel times but I found myself always interrupting a capture at 95% rather than 50-60% (as i'm used to with existing KoTH maps). I'll defend the point, go get some health, then someone ninja steps on and caps it. But saying that it might have just been that the teams were stacked, final scores were 4-0 and my team barely managed 30 seconds off the clock each round. We had no medics, crap spies and i had rediculously poor reg (QQ).

I'm also finding that the outside areas arn't flowing as well as they have done in the past (besides the areas directly infront of the bases where the medium healths are). Which, may be a result of players discovering certain strong positions and exploiting them to an extent which isn't enjoyable for those on the end of it. For one example, if a team manages to capture the point, and simultaniously grabs the room above it, they then control the high ground exit on the enemies side of the map. It's an uphill battle immediately from spawn. I realise the mode is king of the hill, and that very concept involves the possibility of fighting up hill to an objective, but it's becoming an issue in 3-7vs3-7 play.

I really want to say: Move the side buildings back by 128 units and only allow entrance through either front to back or side to side. Changing the doorways into large windows (you can probably leave the ability to crouch jump in if they hug the point's wall. I also wanna say make the point 1 floor so that players on the high ground are actually on the roof; making them more vulnerable to outside attacks, particularly snipers. Right now it's too easy to grab the high ground up there and just own the map. God forbid if an engineer got a tele up there.

But i'm a little worried you're too content with the current layout to bother making drastic changes like these.

Last edited:

Steff0o

May 31, 2009
well about that area that some people say its too big:
viaduct has a similar area in its design
Viaduct.jpg

Ventoux.jpg

i'd call it a fallback area, because when a team loses control of the control point they need a area with a slight advancement to make sure they arent spawn camped
i will re-do the health and ammo placement now i've seen where people mostly (Could) use them and i dont think im going to change the upper mid because i like the way it is and how i makes people able to have a comeback :p

For the next two weeks no updates though because of school.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
That area takes about 3-4 seconds to cross. The point being it's significantly smaller, and you don't have to walk around any obstacles to get to to the 'buffer' exits. Your area is about twice as large.

Ventoux.jpg

try something like this.

Right now it's too easy for players in the middle to predict where players are coming from (because you have to exit the spawn buffer what's essentially from the same direction/place) and intercept them before they even threat the CP directly. So i added the suggestion for the second spawn exit at the top there. You could move it back/up more though, i only just realised that path would be quicker and more direct to the CP, so more people would take that new route than the original to access the middle. Which may or may not be desirable, it depends on what you want from your map.

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
We all came down to Ventoux,
On the cp_granary shoooreline,
Capping hills with a demo,
Yeah, we're into overtime!

Our Sniper and the Engies,
We at the best place around
But some pyro with a flare gun,
Burned the place to the ground!

Da_Man

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 23, 2009
^: I see what you did thar.

Had a great time playing this during gameday. As fun as it is, there are some things that could be fixed.

1) The long walk from spawn was already addressed by grazr, so I won't go over that.

2) The buildings around the point need to have the doors removed. During gameday, some sneaky engie would build a sentry right behind them, and then have a scout bait them to open the door and get splattered. While not too OP, it still seems like a gimmicky kill.

3) It's seems oddly easy to start spawncamping. Since we only saw the two exits right out of spawn, they were continually camped by demos. I dunno how to fix that, but grazr's idea might help. Also, I never noticed the third exit right next to one of the spawn doors. Maybe an arrow pointing that way or something?

Overall a better map than most, but it still has some issues. For its flaw, it is a lot of fun. As in I could go to a 24/7 server fro this map and not get bored.

Last edited:

Steff0o

May 31, 2009
Gameday Bumb :p

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
derpaherp.png

Is my only suggestion really, that place gets camped by snipers, spammed by demos. Doing something like in my image would mean players have to get inside that area to be able to fight and more fighting would take place above the mid rather than one team spamming in and out.

Steff0o

May 31, 2009
i've been working slowly on b1:
detail79.jpg

detail78.jpg

I Reworked the spawn to make it look better.
detail76.jpg

i would like to know what i could improve on the detailling

Last edited:

Steff0o

May 31, 2009
after a long pause i started again:
detail87.jpg

detail84.jpg

detail80.jpg