KotH Cliffside A4

Capture and control a system of caves on the side of a cliff.

1. Da Spud Lord

Da Spud Lord L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Cliffside - Capture and control a system of caves on the side of a cliff.

I know there are a few things that I forgot to add, but I procrastinated finishing the map for about a week and I want to put it out here and start getting feedback for my first legitimately serious map. I'll probably put it out for testing sometime after A2. I'll be adding screenshots in the Overview section; click that to check them out.

To do list:
    -Add arrows telling players where to go (although it's not too difficult to find your way around, the map is kinda small)
    -Nodraw areas that cannot be reached
    -Add cubemaps
    -Add spectator points
    -Figure out how to make a 3D skybox

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. Da Spud Lord

Positive Ratings:
    Just a small update containing a few things I wanted to add before I submitted the map for testing, as well as a couple other improvements.
    -Added arrows directing players where to go
    -Fixed an alignment problem with the battlements fences on Blu's side
    -Marked areas that cannot be reached with nodraw
    -Shrunk the skybox in areas that cannot be reached
    -Replaced the "Invisible" tool textures with "Clip" textures
    -Fixed some overlapping brushes causing overlapping textures
    -Added a cubemap

Read the rest of this update entry...

3. Da Spud Lord

Positive Ratings:
    So I decided that I didn't like the design of the cave system too much, mainly because it favored a single route to the point and neglected the building on each team's side. So I redesigned the entire cave system from the ground up. I started over from my A1 version and deleted all of the caves, so most of the changes in A2 have ben lost. I'll re-add those things, as well as further refine the map to get it ready for testing, in A4. Unfortunately, this update also brings with it a new bug- one of the brush faces near each team's spawn is entirely dark, which is why I delayed this update for a few days trying to (unsuccessfully) fix it. See this thread for more info on the problem. Any help with fixing it would be greatly appreciated.
    -Redesigned the entire cave system from the ground up
    -Added a little more space on each team's side of the control point
    -Slightly lowered the second floor of each team's building, so players jumping over the fence won't take fall damage
    -No more light props in the caves, just consistent lighting throughout the entire cave system (Real lighting will return in the next update)
    -Clipped the stairs in each team's building

4. Da Spud Lord

Positive Ratings:
    Okay, NOW I'm finally ready to have the map tested.
    -Added proper lighting in the caves
    -Added light props in the caves
    -Removed a brush outside of the playable space
    -Added arrows directing players where to go

5. nitewalker

nitewalker L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hey spud lord, if I could give you one tip that will make your map a lot easier for testers to play, it would be to replace the texture on the walkable surfaces with something that will distinguish them from the walls.

as an example of what i mean, take a look at this screenshot:
    [​IMG]

in this picture, its very difficult to distinguish from the floor and the walls, and several doorways are nearly impossible to see without straining your eyes.

if you change the area I've highlighted in this image to another texture, preferably one with decent contrast against the walls, then it will make your level much easier to navigate for playtesters.
    [​IMG]

this same concept applies to the buildings on the map, which generally have the same wood texture on both the floor and the walls, and makes it more difficult to distinguish floors from walls.

• Thanks Thanks x 1