Clarification about "comp players still playing" and why I am so bitter about TF2

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I don't really have a lot to say here, except... you know... I agree and stuff. And I'm sad. The game I once proudly and rightly called my favorite game is now a tragic wreck I probably won't ever touch again. Classic TF2 is nostalgic as fuck to me now, but it's not like my old console games where I can just pull out the N64 and experience Super Mario 64 all over again.

It's gone.

Forever.

Mar 23, 2010
people are still pushing for a vanilla mode or the tf2 beta becoming vanilla

i dont care or mind hats at all. add as many ones as you want (lime and pink paint is much worse than the hot dogger and other silly hats). just don't half-ass the gameplay aspect of it. the uber update was so goddamn terrible the market gardener was the best unlock to come out of it. no way the liberty launcher, persian demoknight set, and tomislav weren't designed with free to play in mind

Last edited:

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
As a pyro, I like the way the game has gone personally. Lots of complexities to wrap my mind around and create counters for. Fun fun fun in hl.

Don't give a fuck about hats. I think they're good, they add more personality to key players of the class and make them more identifiable for people in their heads. People can see TMP and say "Hey, he wears a green ghastlier gibus and deus ex shades" and identify me by that and then watch me go on a rampage.

And the weapons are cool. Non-fun weapons fall out of play quickly.

EDIT: Also fuck the market gardener it's 2cool.

Last edited:

possiblylethal

L1: Registered
Nov 14, 2010
I like hats, and if you dont then whatever.
I like the huge variety of weapons, and if some of them i never touch but once I bet you its someones favorite weapon somewhere.

I just wish I could play with my friends who dont have great computers or have to constantly check if their are hidden bots in the server.

If its vanilla some of you want, do you think starting a vanilla server would be successful?

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
A vanilla server doesn't really solve most of the problems the game is currently plagued by. On top of shit balance and cosmetics detracting from aesthetics, the cilent is also riddled with performance issues and unneeded bloat.

It's also impossible to find a no unlocks server (and the interchangeability of the term vanilla doesn't help) in the other 1500 active servers, let alone fill one.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
...I would also have been fine with a handful of unlocks. But what some people seem to forget is that TF2 did not need to get as many updates as it did at all. There was no need for an ingame store for Valve to keep making money off of TF2, there was no need to "keep it updated". I am not fine with the random item drops. I am not fine with the real-money store, promotional items, weapon reskins, gambling minigame...

I guess the irony here is that as far as Valve are concerned this was all a massive success because it generated a shit ton of money. Something along the lines of their profit margins loosely translating our level happiness.

I also stand with Stick' and Wimples in that i used to brag on about this game and how amazing it was, but now i barely consider it worth mentioning unless someone brings up my level design hobby. If i ever recommend this game to anyone it's because i want someone else to play it with, not because i think they'll have a great experience.

One of my IRL friends who was a large TF2 fan up until the second or third class update refuses to play anymore because he is absolutely overwhelmed by the chaos of gameplay that exists now. He's killed by weapons that he didn't even know existed, doesn't understand how they work and cannot counter them with stock/original unlocks.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
But
I still have fun playing.
I think TF2 is a very fun game, the basic gameplay elements are flawless (gamemode, rocketjumps, ammo & health stuff, medigun, and so on). The source engine is still one of the most responsive and "accurate/exact". The characters are great, the voice actors do a amazing job, the maps look great, the lighting shaders are good.

Indeed. And I'd still rather play it than any Call of Duty, Battlefield, or even Counter-Strike game. If anything, it's a testament to just what good game designers the team that put it together really are that even the idiots they handed it over to, doing everything in their power to ruin it, still couldn't make it worse than the other popular shooters out there.

I just wish I knew what that team is doing nowadays and why they never stepped in and said "Hey wait, what the hell are you doing, stop that." Because I refuse to believe the same people who banged on and on about recognizable silhouettes and conservation of detail and simplifying gameplay mechanics in the commentary are the same people who gave every class 80 unlockable hats and weapons.

Apr 13, 2009
cp_gravelpit now

If that's the bug I think it is, It's been in the game for over a year and it's certainly not exclusive to gravelpit (but it affects mostly maps with long cap times as they're the most likely to have blu cap points during overtime). I ran into this problem during the a/sym contest and figured the bug affected every a/d map in the game, I mailed the tf2 team with my findings, no replies.

ETF2L had a big Beta Subforum

Now, by chance, is this forum archived anywhere ? I'd really like to take a look...

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
If that's the bug I think it is, It's been in the game for over a year and it's certainly not exclusive to gravelpit (but it affects mostly maps with long cap times as they're the most likely to have blu cap points during overtime). I ran into this problem during the a/sym contest and figured the bug affected every a/d map in the game, I mailed the tf2 team with my findings, no replies.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the same overtime bug.

Now, by chance, is this forum archived anywhere ? I'd really like to take a look...

Technically yes but the threads were only moved into the General TF2 board and are long since buried. I guess you can search for "beta" and you get some:
http://etf2l.org/forum/search/beta/
There's e.g. the Direct Hit, Natascha, GRU threads and some more general ones.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
As you might have noticed, I haven't been playing a lot of tf2 lately.
When I do play every once in a while, there are always a million new items and I'm completely lost.
Now how in the world am I ever supposed to get back into it, with scouts doing quadruplejumps, pyros healing and heavies shooting fireballs or whatever when I have no clue what's even going on anymore? I only really play as soldier nowadays because honestly I don't know how to play as any other class.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Just have no unlock gamedays already, or just ban everything that came after things got weird (post engineer update), please!

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
As far as I know, there is no easy way to limit the loadout EXCEPT when in tournament mode.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the same overtime bug.

Does it happen on point A as well? You never really see a case of where A is being capped as the time runs out even in pubs, nevermind comp.

We should really figure out what the problem is so we don't mistakenly introduce it into our own maps.

Mar 23, 2010
i remember seeing cp_gravelpit_fixed (being cast in highlander) where it's fixed...something with setstalematetimelimit or something?

waxpax

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 25, 2011
i remember seeing cp_gravelpit_fixed (being cast in highlander) where it's fixed...something with setstalematetimelimit or something?

Yeah, UGC supposedly used it in their playoff games. I saw eXtv mention it. I don't know where that map was posted, though, and have yet to google it.