Caldera

CP caldera test1a

Shaar

L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin
Aug 7, 2008
Here's whats happening on stage three, thus far:

cp_1 is detailed outside, but, requires interior detailing.
cp_2 requires heavy detailing as well as extra brushwork and great improvement
cp_3 is currently not started and requires planning, as well as sniper update content. however a basic idea (which I've yet to shown nipet for his comments) has been formed in my head

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
well...guess stage1 played k,waiting for stage2 feeds now

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
going straight to sec. 3 confused me a bit :)

Anyway I like the last point 200% better than the last vers. It looks alot better and plays better imo.

The drop down vent for blu by rocket seems a little convoluted. Like you had to drop and turn several directions to go through it. I'd personally like a little straighter path, but that might be hard due to surrounding brushes.

The one thing I did notice, but I liked for defense, was that you can guard both sides of the first room pretty easily at the same time as demo.

Not fond of the death trap under blu spawn. possibly you will make it a huge hole or something that looks dangerous for final. Right now it really looks useable as a path, especially with the other walkway down there.

Ammo/health placement seemd pretty good to me.

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
afterr discussing alot with co-maper we figured out that stage2 cant be fixed with just some balance fixes etc,as it had some major problems in layout. so now we are totally re-doing the whole stage. point B will remain but not A and all between them. we will try to make it much..cleaner and simpler to navigate and to stay into wooden rather then spytech theme for the outdoor parts. hoping to release for next GD but...i dont think tchances of this are high

Shaar

Aug 7, 2008
Here are some new basic images from the world of stage 3:

A large overview of cap 1/A:
stage_30008.jpg

An overview of the route from 1/A to 2/B
stage_30009.jpg

I want to change the rock textures here; but when I trialled with the grey rock it didn't look as nice. this is the basic design for cap 2/B:
stage_30006.jpg

A small hiding hold at cap 2/B for ambushing.
stage_30007.jpg

Looking outwards from cap 3/C
stage_30004.jpg

Looking from a body of water at cap 3/C
stage_30005.jpg

A final overview of capture point 3/C:
stage_30010.jpg

Major issues to be contended with:
lighting issues in cp1/A
gameplay issues within cp2/B
texture issues in cp3/C

Shaar

Aug 7, 2008
I like the look of the Train and the cave part, but the final spot looks a bit too open and sniper happy.

I intend to add some building in there as cover for blues, but, I also wanna leave the area open. as it's the last cap, and the final stage is on a gravelpit style layout, I want to make the final point very hard to capture.

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
while 1st part of our team working hard on stage3,im still messing around stage2.

well..after realising that nothing could fix stage2 we gone even further than re-making it. we rly didnt like the "box" feeleng of stage1 point B and stage2 point A, the outdoor areas were rather narrow and looked awful. as we are rather experementators than good_pro_mappers we desided to make an experiment. what if we open some rocks and cliff area to give more breath space? baring in mind how source engine fails at rendering huge areas,we tried to make as open as its possible while not loosing any fps,rather hard but possible.

here are some shots with old one on the left,and concepts on the right,for u to get an idea

Shaar

Aug 7, 2008
stage_30000.jpg

Improvements upon stage 3, cap 3.

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
overall status of the whole map and all 7 points as for now
stage1 -beta status
s1cpA -beta status
s1cpB -beta status
stage2 -alpha status
s2cpA -early alpha,due to being fully rebuild with new layout
s2cpB -late alpha,as it reamained the same from alpha10
stage3 -early alpha status
s3cpA -alpha,as the layouts is dont but need fine tuning
s3cpB -early alpha,dome basic texture\brushwork,no layout
s3cpC -alpha,needs fine tuning

also, here are first shots from the upcomming alpha11 version of stage2 outdoors part (they are still alpha,mind that):

Last edited:

Lazy Eskimo

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2009
First stage
It would be nice to have a little cover coming out of spawn. Once you get to cp red doesn't seem to have anyway to try to reclaim it. The tunnels are big no no. They don't create interesting gameplay and a class like soldier has huge advantage. The 2nd cp feels linear in it's options to attack. Blue seems to have advantage in a attack/defend map?

Second stage
It will be very very hard trying to come out of those 3 doors. Soldiers and demos will put out tons of firepower on those narrow doorways. Once you get out of doorway your still gonna be under tons of firepower for a bit. All options to attack are either steep stairs and/or tight hallways. Steep stairs create too big a disadvantage for person on bottom and it's not very fun being on bottom. Steep stairs/narrow hallways should only be used in short distances and in spots that are low traffic.

At the 2nd cp only ways to attack are steep stairs and long vent.

Third stage
The pic with cp in middle of a lake worries me.

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
First stage
It would be nice to have a little cover coming out of spawn. Once you get to cp red doesn't seem to have anyway to try to reclaim it. The tunnels are big no no. They don't create interesting gameplay and a class like soldier has huge advantage. The 2nd cp feels linear in it's options to attack. Blue seems to have advantage in a attack/defend map?

well..yes. its a 3-stage map,so st stage is easiest for blu,2nd is harder and 3rd s the hardest. so i can say blu got advantage in stage1

about cp2..it has different ways u can attack it,lower pass,upper left and right. right one has one way door for blu to build teles etc,but it can be taken out by red with either rocketjumping or flancking through lower pass.

about cover..yep,it will be there

Second stage
It will be very very hard trying to come out of those 3 doors. Soldiers and demos will put out tons of firepower on those narrow doorways. Once you get out of doorway your still gonna be under tons of firepower for a bit. All options to attack are either steep stairs and/or tight hallways. Steep stairs create too big a disadvantage for person on bottom and it's not very fun being on bottom. Steep stairs/narrow hallways should only be used in short distances and in spots that are low traffic.

we were not happy about gameplay of 2nd stage and it is now re-done. esp 1st point,u can see it here (still in development)
attachment.php

At the 2nd cp only ways to attack are steep stairs and long vent.

true,will fix

Third stage
The pic with cp in middle of a lake worries me.
[/QUOTE]

just a concept,far from playable version

Shaar

Aug 7, 2008
hey guys.

just to keep you up to scratch, we're hoping for an A11 release for tomorrow. no promises though, as it is just nipet working on the map, atm. the last I heard was 2-1 and 2-2 required linking together, and stage 3 required the spawns to be finished, the cap 3 to be redone, cap 2 to be improved, leaks to be removed and then heath and ammo. hopefully it can be done though :)

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
hi there
we tried hard to push alpha11 releasr for sunday GD but submission is closed now,so it will go live only next friday.
anyway,there is still some work to be done, and i want to provide u with some latest shots of caldera_pre-alpha11

Last edited:

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
one more picture for today,a comparison shot.

with alpha 10 on the left and alpha11 on the right. taken from the same place

Last edited:

flubber

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2007
Look much better, keep it up.

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
We just played a8 in 2f2f and we never got passed the first spot BLU caped point one but point 2 was impossible. Sorry for no pics but FRAPS is messing up on me.

whoooa,why u played such an old version????

well..thx for testing but we know that issue,it was fixed in a9 and them tuned even better in a10,and now a11 is nearly out