Caldera

CP Caldera rc3

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Some feedback that I felt required pictures:

AB6AE530DA32F6A88EC05F10AE2DC85610EEA745

This thing just baffles me. I have never seen anything remotely like the thing on the screen, I don't know why a screening room would have the rest of the wall covered in... lights? Frosted windows? ...not to mention there's a pipe going right through one of them. And as long as I'm nitpicking the hell out of this, those are not indoor chairs.

BA37C492035FA44052F18A4BE17C32D09E33C3E2

This looks like the chalkboard that would normally have a dynamic map on it in these types of maps, but there isn't one. Is it just a placeholder until you get a real one made?

1CF2F359880B035FE9A63957D832A9FB62C15786

This might be something on my end, but there's some weird glitch happening here. It either floats above the surface of the elevator or is visible right through the mechanism, can't tell which, is occluded by the cap point prop, and flickers like Z-fighting if I move or turn the camera.

D2EA4F8B30CE2D7BA927C7122FF35CD26BFE1A0D

Is the water meant to go pink at the edges like this?

D0om

L2: Junior Member
Feb 26, 2016
D0om updated Caldera with a new update entry:

b6

A:
The point overall was too big and the sentry nests on the far cliff side was too strong wrangled. Furthermore,
pushing attackers were at too much of a disadvantage. Blue would constantly be attacked by the flank pushing through the other side of the map
and spammed by the combo classes peeking the container route. Changes were aimed at reducing fighting distances and giving
blue a safer approach to the point.

- added a flank that loops around the cliff to make engieneer nests there less...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Gravidea

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2017
Alright, feedback/bug post for the most recent version! Keep in mind that I'm not too experienced in map making and am making this post from the point of a player rather than a mapper, so feel free to take this post worth a grain of salt!

-First one is point B. There's a bug at the moment that I and a full server have experienced where contesting B as a defender will not halt the capture. This means that if an attacker manages to stay on the point while fighting a defender, they will still be able to capture the point. I haven't experienced this on any other points than B, but it may be wise to check them for this issue as well. This is frustrating to experience, and I hope it'll be fixed!

-The point C elevator can be built upon by Engineers, and while it may be funny for a little bit to see floating sentries where the elevator once was, it's a little jarring and can lead to some miffed players when they're killed by a sentry that is in a position they could have never predicted. A simple func_nobuild all over and above the elevator should fix this one. Screenshot from another player on the server below.

1652925993149.png

-Now for the more opinionated stuff. Firstly, I think when C is captured by the attackers and the doors become inactive, it should be more obvious that you cannot go through them, other than walking forward into them and bumping into the door, before turning away for another exist. Perhaps another door could come down over the windowed one with the stop sign on the front, telling the player they cannot go this way? Screenshot from within Red's second spawn below.

1652926228807.png

-The last thing I noticed about this map is that when the defending team is pushed back to E and all other points have been captured, the playable space for the defenders starts to feel extremely limited. I understand that may be part of the point, considering the fact that the attackers were able to capture the four points before it, but once Red is pushed back, flanking classes have practically no options, and you are pretty much forced to stand on the point to have any high ground. I feel like having one of the doors that closes upon points being captured stay open may assist in this, and I'm leaning towards the right one. That flank would allow defenders to push onto the point from a different angle, as well as another way to push back from, since the door to D closing means that attackers have free reign over that area. Up to you, but I think it could be neat. I've screenshotted which door I'm talking about in specific.

1652928558212.png

Other than that, good stuff so far! I've had this map running on a server I moderate, and it seems like our players enjoy it! Keep up the good stuff! Really like what you did to artpass C as well!

Last edited:

D0om

Feb 26, 2016

b8

A:
- moved garage choke closer to main hold position of red
- blocked a sightline from cave route to the garage route which was too safe
- gave blue a little more highground coming out of spawn
- decreased blue team respawn wave time from 3 to 2s

B:
- made the main choke door more narrow

D:
- experimental, closed off the high ground route into D; with how the map has played with the recent changes, perhaps attacking E before getting D is now finally viable
- increased red respawn wave time...

D0om

Feb 26, 2016

b9

- remade capture zones in an effort to fix the cap blocking bug
- more detailing

E:
- added an extra pipe blue can use to reach defenders side from red room
- added a fence ledge that allows blue to jump onto the point from the ledge next to red room
- small window before D entrance now closes after D is capped
- removed two crate props from E to declutter it

Katsu! :3

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
Maybe it was intentional but A held very hard on the last playtest I did with it (which was last night.) We also managed to hold C until the round ended, which felt strange. RED team has all the high ground looking onto A, and it made it nigh-impossible for BLU to push into A. Most often players would just feed in.

D0om

Feb 26, 2016

b10

- fixed possible issue that would crash some players only on THG servers

A:
- reduced the amount of metal available at the point

B:
- increased cap time from 10 to 12s
- reduced red respawn wave time from 8 to 6s

D/E:
- removed the doorway to E high ground ledge closing after C is capped, the route to that ledge is now permanently open
- hopefully fixed some bridge jankiness

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Played a few rounds on this map earlier, had a pretty great time as a Heavy. I think the map is pretty solid, but it feels kinda weighted against RED. A and B are fine I think, but holding C is damn near impossible cause BLU has a stairway that takes them right up to RED's ledge to defend the point from, meanwhile RED has to rotate through BLU's controlled area just to reach the other ledge.

D barely got played on cause it seems once BLU cleared the defenders out, there wasn't really a way to push them off the point thanks to the fence covering it and the long sightline (where BLU can see you approaching the whole time) to reach the point from spawn.

Also I think it's a bit too easy for BLU to spawn camp RED's doors at E from the first spawn and just cap E right there. Other than those complaints I think the map is really good.

D0om

Feb 26, 2016

rc2

Post ETF2L Season 27 Preseason cup update.

D/E:
Reportedly and from what I've seen D/E was too strong of a hold. Premiership teams however managed to push D/E much better than lower division teams. E was also not that worth pressuring early on.

E:
- lowered E cap time from 35 to 32s to make E pressure more viable, this should also nerf D hold a bit, forcing defenders to rotate to E faster. Early game E pressure should also be more viable.

D:
- added a basement flank route on D that loops...

Lem Mem

L3: Member
Nov 1, 2020
Excited to try this version; Hopefully NA gets their shit together and starts running pugs/cups on this map.

D0om

Feb 26, 2016

RC3

• Changed geometry on B
    • Added scaffolding next to the point, allowing Blu players to approach Red highground
    • Redid Red forward spawn, Blu players are now able to rotate between B and E
  • Improved detailing of the submarine in C oob area
  • Added eruption effects on successful E capture
  • Replaced sophisticated guns on A point to propper AA gun props
  • Various fixes and improvements