Byre

ARENA Byre 2015-09-24

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Byre is a 2cp arena map where the points start unlocked, and capture quickly. Capturing the points or killing all opponents are both viable tactics. Originally made in 72 hours for the 2014 Summer 72hr contest, Byre placed third in the Mercs vs. Aliens contest.

The workshop version is the latest version! I forgot to pack the custom particles when I uploaded this the first time, and I'm too lazy to update the proper download for it. Download it on the workshop instead!

Thanks to:
Ida for her cool poster
The Construction Pack Team for The Construction Pack
Valve Software for obvious reasons
Ravidge for his lighting library
A Boojum Snark for nothing in particular, it just feels weird not putting him in a thanks list
(,.o.,) for particles that I didn't actually end up using, but looked at to figure out how on earth to make particle systems
Egan for helping with entity logic
Arena:Respawn for putting Byre in their rotation
Fr0z3n for hosting the contest that spawned this map
Yacan1 for showing me a picture of a bridge that i copied for the trains
Everyone who provided feedback for providing feedback

---

.VMF DOWNLOAD

Theres some custom content you'll need to extract from the .bsp yourself:
byre/blendgroundtodirt004.vmt
byre/fakewindow.vmt/.vtf
signs/sign_idolon_005.vmt/.vtf
metal/chicken_wire001_nocull.vmt

You should also have the Construction Pack downloaded.

Last edited:

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Fun backstory about this map:

For this 72hr contest I was originally going to attempt a 5cp in the style of Steel. I then decided it would be cool to make a pl-cp hybrid, with the 4 initial cps as a payload cart, all making the final cp easier to capture. I then decided that the layout just wasn't working, and deleted it.

Then I started working on an a/d cp. I then decided to make it a 3cp dom map like Standin. I actually got pretty close to finishing the layout, but I realized that there was no good way to actually edit the layout because the brushwork was awful, and all of the paths were so close to each other that there was pretty much no empty space - the map was a solid block of paths that was cramped and stupid. I didn't bother finishing the thing because I really didn't want to touch the vmf again.

I then started working on what I thought would be asymmetrical arena, but that turned into a 4cp symmetrical gravelpit-style map. That actually got tested! It wasn't very fun. I decided to get rid of the final points and make it a 2-point koth. Somewhere along the way I decided that wasn't going to work, and now it's an objective-based arena map, where you can win by cappinig both points - and they're unlocked from the start.

Let's hope this works out. I've spent too much time scrapping stuff this contest :L

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
arena_tyre_b10000.jpg

officially renaming map arena_tyre

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
I gotta say, this map has some really impressive detailing. You completely nailed the farming theme here. Although more stuff in the skybox would be cooler, I also love how simple it is.

The only problem I have right now with the map is the tiny fence outside spawn that seems like anyone can jump over it. I was actually surprised when I first turned left and was not able to get into that small area of the map. I think a pile of junk just outside it, or maybe a small field row of corn would make it feel more like an out-of-bounds area.

And here is a screenshot that showcases the awesome detailing of this map:
EBCBDC47F5554E2D95B26864AEBA08D43A755FB3

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I'm not really on board with using wood slats for roofs. Have you tried using the shingle roof from Barnblitz and seeing how that looks? You'd still need a red version, though...

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
b2?? 2 good 2 b true!! The latest and greatest version of the latest and greatest map* is out now.

* ᶰᵒᵗ ʳᵉᵃᶫᶫʸ

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Beta 4 is armed and dangerous! Check out that OP for screenshots and download.

I'm gonna be doing some experiments in the next few versions with weird gameplay stuff. If none of that stuff pans out, b4 will probably be pretty close to RC.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Not seeing any arms in those screenshots.

it's a metaphor

Also, could an admin change the title of the thread to read as ARENA Byre?

Done - Harribo

Last edited by a moderator:

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
So it's come to my attention that I accidentally my custom particles in the contest version of this map, and so the finale doesn't play out as intended. Here's a recording of what it's supposed to look like:

If you're judging Byre for the contest, ignore this. Judge the version that you see in the map instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
b5 is out and about, prowling the streets. Watch your back. Changes include the removal of a few routes, a widened mid, and particles being packed correctly this time.