Build Around the Track Creation Help

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
1) Yes
2) Cart starts at one end, explosion at the other, (so no) they may add to either end for aesthetic purposes only
3) Very much so.
4) A. 5 weeks is too long for just a layout contest and 5 weeks for layout + 3 weeks for artpass is just plain silly. 8 weeks, start to finish, participant to decide how much time they spend on each bit
5) Own made + publicly released
6) Nope

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
On another note, how much input will people have on the track design. Will it just be 1 person (you) throwing out the track or will you be taking suggestions?

Also if we're allowed to change the height/angle of the tracks i assume elevators will be acceptable?

Oct 6, 2008
Perhaps as an add on - as I don't feel that I have enough experience to make a propper decision on the matter.

Level the playing field and make it fair for everyone meaning:

Track is fixed - layout - start end points exactly as given - no custom models.

The contest is based on skill levels:

- for noobs like me - goal is to make a good looking map based on the perimeters given.

- for skilled mappers to make a really good map

- for experts - make an excellent map.

The levels could be based on
noob entry (for those new to mapping),
moderate - for those comfortable with mapping,
advanced - those with experience
expert - those who know a lot.
People who enter into the expert catagory are free to use whatever tools that are available to them - custom models etc - but the same basic parameters are the same for all levels.

If you have a noob category, then IMO you are helping to build the mapping community.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
The levels could be based on
noob entry (for those new to mapping),
moderate - for those comfortable with mapping,
advanced - those with experience
expert - those who know a lot.
People who enter into the expert catagory are free to use whatever tools that are available to them - custom models etc - but the same basic parameters are the same for all levels.

If you have a noob category, then IMO you are helping to build the mapping community.

As great as an Idea this is, its creates a couple major issues.
1) Prizes, thats a lot to hand out, lots of cash.
2) Testing, people don't like to play "bad" maps that aren't fun, they will really only want to play the advanced and expert mapping. Now, if you trickle in both higher and lower level into testing, everyone's map gets played at some point.
3)These contests are usually a learning experience. If you are new to mapping, don't expect to win right off. It helps the mapping community MORE if you put the new mappers up against advanced and experts. Yea, they might get their asses handed to them, but the learning experience is much better and fuller.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
My answers for seond set of questions.

1) Should the participant be allowed to alter the height of pieces of track if the top-down view of the track stays the same?

Only a certain amount e.g only allowed to move a maximum of 75 hammer units

2) Should the start and end points be decided by the participant?

Nope, they should decided by the contest owner.

3) Should the control points location be decided by the participant?

I think there should be a highlighted area for each capture point and we can place it anywhere within that area.

4) Which of the following seems best for this contest's length?
--B. 5 Weeks to create a late alpha. Submit the alpha. Maps submitted by the deadline then have a 3 week period to detail ONLY.

5) Should custom assets be allowed? If so, can you hire a personal model-maker or must it be made by the participant (same with materials).

Nope as this can make some maps look far better than others. Anyways this is a mapping contest not a texturing and modelling contest. (This excludes tf2maps packs, i think swamp and building site should be allowed).

6) Should collaborations be allowed?

Depends what kind of collaborations.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
On another note, how much input will people have on the track design. Will it just be 1 person (you) throwing out the track or will you be taking suggestions?

Also if we're allowed to change the height/angle of the tracks i assume elevators will be acceptable?

I plan for Track Design to be a group effort if my first idea doesn't work out.

If you're able to change the height/angle of tracks, elevators would be a tricky thing. An elevator increases the length of the map, so the only way it'd be allowed is if you replaced, say, a 128-unit long piece of track with a 128-unit tall elevator. Which then changes the topdown view of the map. So I dunno.

--The below is worth your time to read.--
One thing for everyone that's helped me on this second set of questions. I posted the new questions in a new post on Page 3 and rewrote the OP. But they weren't the same when I reworded the questions a little. An example of this being the 4th question. 5 and 3 were not the numbers I was planning on using, just my first choice. I later changed it to X and a short period, the length being determined later.

Currently, 7 people want the two deadlines and 6 want the single deadline. I personally prefer the two deadlines for the sake of giving everyone an incentive to continue with their map or not. Those 7 asked for C, which lets you fix the layout of the map during the second phase; it's just that if you don't submit a map during the first deadline, you can't go on. There wouldn't really be any requirements for each deadline - suggestions of where you should be, sure, but no requirements. It'll give people an incentive to get going, in my mind.

As mentioned above, the first deadline doesn't require you only have worked on layout. You could finish your map in 72 hours if you wanted to. You'd just have to submit it to the deadlines.

If this changes your answer, please go edit your post. I'll go through them again when I get enough responses - I'm looking for four more.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
If you're able to change the height/angle of tracks, elevators would be a tricky thing. An elevator increases the length of the map, so the only way it'd be allowed is if you replaced, say, a 128-unit long piece of track with a 128-unit tall elevator. Which then changes the topdown view of the map.

I guess the track would be longer by a bit but i was under the impression it was the track only had to remain the same horizontally (from above) give or take ~64 for angled tracks that cover less ground horizontally. But i guess it's up to you; removing 128 unit of track wouldn't be so much of a big deal, particularly if that's all that's required to implement an elevator.