Borax

PL Borax rc2

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
As lots of people complained about on gameday, the part between points 1 and 2 is very cramped and very defendable. Especially the great sentry positions above the track. BLU needs some help here.

mikey

L1: Registered
Jun 26, 2009
As lots of people complained about on gameday, the part between points 1 and 2 is very cramped and very defendable. Especially the great sentry positions above the track. BLU needs some help here.

Agreed, I've played this map on some occasions and I think it's too easy to defend, especially between 1st and 2nd point. Some changes and it could be on par with badwater.

I defo like borax better than goldrush tho. (in terms of how much fun it is to play it)

DontWannaName

L3: Member
Jan 12, 2009
Here are some bugs..

1. I guess this is like 1 little push away from winning but that doesnt look right. It went back just fine.

2. I looked back and found those cliffs there, just seemed strange.

3. Not a big deal. just cant have a lily inside wood.

4. A straight line in the ground.

5. This spawn room is way too dark. I could barely find my way out.

As far as balance... blue is still having ussues. For the last point, perhaps moving that staircase on the very right that goes to the room with a bunch of movie reels or whatever they are. It should be easier to get to for blue, they cant get there when there are snipers below on the red side, think of the last stage of badwater.

Jiffs Maverick

L1: Registered
Jun 21, 2009
Sorry for my english :)blushing:), but I found some bugs:

First bug: screenshot 1-4

Second bug: screenshot 5

P.S.: Fearlezz, your map is magnificent :thumbup1:

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
Thanks for posting those screens, much appreciated

pitto

Feb 17, 2009
that tunnel would definitely make a change in the balance at that point, hopefully it will be just right, so it doesn't make blue op

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
These are the things I don't like about that chokepoint, so maybe this will help:

-Red can continue to go into their previous spawn point, which gives them a resupply cabinet right next to the chokepoint.
-Red also has a very nice perch outside their previous spawn, and the path blue takes to get to it goes through a tiny doorway. Not only that, but the doorway also has an awkward ledge you need to jump up in order to go through.
-Blue doesn't have an opportunity to flank red (looks like this new path will change that).

And a few unrelated notes:

-one of Red's spawns is almost pitch black; that really threw me off in playtests.
-the CP holograms are really gigantic.

Other than that chokepoint and those couple nitpicks, I really enjoy Borax.

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
Gameday today went great, this wasnt my first time playing b3 but my first time playing it for long enough to have some comments.

plboraxb30001.jpg

In the very beginning blu's spawn is very easy to camp, the place where you spawn is right next to the exit so snipers, demos and solider really get alot of kills here. Its hard for medics to keep their ubers in spawn as well. If you made it a little less campable that would be great.

plboraxb30000x.jpg

One spot that i get stuck on or have a little trouble is going up from blu spawn and then onto this stair case. Its just a little annoying but not a huge problem

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
I found Borax to be very spammy and unbalanced on today's Gameday. It seems like it could be a nice map, but something need to be fixed. Like the fact that Red can go back into their spawns up front.

That spawn room is still very very dark (I know you know which one I'm talking about)

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1490725/pl_borax_b30002.jpg
Just a little thing I found. It's at the back of Blu's spawn (I think). To me, the light looks like it is coming from nowhere. I would have put the light coming from both sides where those siren lights are, to make it more realistic (and it makes more sense that a light prop is giving out light).

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1490725/pl_borax_b30001.jpg
Spawn room is easily campable and spammable, like Sgt. Sausage said so above me.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1490725/pl_borax_b30000.jpg
I took this because of the playerclip that needs to be fixed (I can still get on the ledge), but I also noticed that those window props aren't placed correctly. They're slightly off.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1490725/pl_borax_b30003.jpg
Doubt you should be able to get up there.

Fearlezz

May 4, 2008
I found Borax to be very spammy and unbalanced on today's Gameday.

That spawn room is still very very dark (I know you know which one I'm talking about)

Spammy and unbalanced? Yes, because of the unbalanced teams. If one team is more powerful then the other, they will ofcourse go on a killing spree making it "spammy".

And the spawn room, yes still dark because I havent released a new version then B3 :)

Just wanted to point those out.

Kraftwerk

L2: Junior Member
Jul 10, 2009
There is a reeeaaally annoying glitch right after the first cap, if you go up the stairs to take the high route, and fall of to the right, you get stuck. I kind of remember one other like that, OH YAH, its near the last cap, if you jump behind the rocks you get stuck there too.

DontWannaName

Jan 12, 2009
When I first downloaded the map I got this error right after the DL ended.
"Disconnect: ERROR! Reliable snaphsot overflow.." Wow Valve cant spell snapshot.

Not to mention a bunch of red errors:

SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/bramble001a.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/rock006b.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/shrub_03c.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/shrub_03c.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_forest/shrub_03b.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_forest/shrub_03_cluster.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/shrub_03a.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_spytech/rocket002_skybox.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_spytech/rocket_tower_skybox.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_forest/shrub_03b.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_trainyard/window_skylight001.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_trainyard/window_skylight001.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/joshuatree01.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/shrub_03a.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/joshuatree02.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/shrub_01a.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_forest/shrub_03_cluster.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/shrub_03_cluster.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/shrub_03b.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/wooden_barrier01.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/wooden_barrier01.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/shrub_03_cluster.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_forest/shrub_03c.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_forest/shrub_03c.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/shrub_03_cluster02.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/shrub_03_cluster02.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_2fort/cow001_reference.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_2fort/cow001_reference.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/joshuatree01.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/crane002.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/joshuatree02.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_farm/wood_support001.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_farm/wood_support001.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/minehead.mdl)
Failed to load sound "borax\fan-2.wav", file probably missing from disk/repository

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
When I first downloaded the map I got this error right after the DL ended.
"Disconnect: ERROR! Reliable snaphsot overflow.." Wow Valve cant spell snapshot.

Not sure what that error is, I get it occasionally after dloading a map (don't think any in particullar) from a server.

Fearlezz

May 4, 2008
Release Candidate released. :)

Changelog RC:
- Fixed 'leaks' in a few cliffs.
- Fixed white line on a building.
- Fixed some bad shadows.
- Fixed missing sound files.
- Fixed black water.
- Improved optimization.
- Improved spawn times.
- Improved times added after each cap.
- Added Occluders.
- Added tunnel at CP3.
- Added light in Reds second spawn.
- Added a bit more detail to some areas.
- Reworked how the last point is capped.

And since we are going into RC, here are some fresh images.
pic1.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic6.jpg

Last edited: