CP blackmesa2_beta3

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Honestly? If you dont want feedback, dont post it here. If we see a serious flaw, we will go for it, and point it out; that's kind of what we do. For bug fixes, you dont need to post it in extra places. If you're so against being told issues, why is it on a site devoted to feedback? Do you want people to play your map, point out misaligned textures and bad clipping, but ignore terrible timers? It only works the other way around.

The hard part is trying to avoid "steam rolling" effect which happens when the final point can be capped by one player in less than 3 seconds.

That's how making a point defendable works. Such is the force of defenders spawning that the challenge on final points is to press into the point itself through the waves of defenders and past good sentry/sniper positions. A fast capture time is your reward for taking control of the entire battlefield, up to the final room.

Dragonhill

L1: Registered
Jul 9, 2008
So wait, you don't want that better team wins because they manage successfully push trough the first two points and get past enemy defences?
Steamroll is part of the game, where better team beats much worse team, nobody enjoys maps where better team can't win.

Better team win yes, steam roll no. You are correct when you point out I don't like steam rolls.
If a team just stands there and does nothing then yes, a steam roll is the result and there is nothing to be done about it. But allowing a team to get a breather due to players still joining, dropping out, trading, learning the map for the first time, etc etc, seams acceptable. many maps are very unforgiving towards this.

Is it a pipe dream? maybe. But I keep thinking there are ways to design a map that allows players find new ways to engage the enemy while still having hope of the final objective.

T

The Asylum

Nobody wants to play on the same map for 4 or 5 hours

Except the 24/7 2Fort crowd, but I hesitate to call them people before I'd call them robots.

Dragonhill

Jul 9, 2008
Honestly? If you dont want feedback, dont post it here. If we see a serious flaw, we will go for it, and point it out; that's kind of what we do. For bug fixes, you dont need to post it in extra places. If you're so against being told issues, why is it on a site devoted to feedback? Do you want people to play your map, point out misaligned textures and bad clipping, but ignore terrible timers? It only works the other way around.

That's how making a point defendable works. Such is the force of defenders spawning that the challenge on final points is to press into the point itself through the waves of defenders and past good sentry/sniper positions. A fast capture time is your reward for taking control of the entire battlefield, up to the final room.

Oh, i'm reading your feed back, but so far none of it is missalligned textures, bugs, etc. But I also staed there will not be any magor changes. this is due to time constraints, thats all. Don't take it personally but milestones are milestones.

Also, there are many players that love blackmesa the way it is. The terrible timers were meant for a specific server (mesa1). Mesa 2 is not and thats why the timers are different. BTW, have you played mesa2 yet? I keep getting the impression every one is just venting thier feelings about mesa1. wrong? right?

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
But allowing a team to get a breather due to players still joining, dropping out, trading, learning the map for the first time, etc etc, seams acceptable. many maps are very unforgiving towards this.

It sounds like you're advocating Tea-Breaks.

Allowing for this will make it way too easy to defend when your team is actually paying attention. Designing a map and taking Afk'ers into account only works when things go to a rather limited plan. Also:

"From my data a balanced map with balanced teams end in stalemate."

Please present this data.

EDITING TO RESPOND TO LATEST RESPONSE:

Oh, i'm reading your feed back, but so far none of it is missalligned textures, bugs, etc.

"Do you like my new car?"

"It's made of rice pudding."

"Yeah, yeah, but look past that"

"It's made of goddamn rice pudding."

"Yeah, but have i varnished it right?"

I have plyed mesa2 -i'll even look for a server hosting it tonight if you want. I have not played Mesa1

Last edited:

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Better team win yes, steam roll no. You are correct when you point out I don't like steam rolls.
If a team just stands there and does nothing then yes, a steam roll is the result and there is nothing to be done about it. But allowing a team to get a breather due to players still joining, dropping out, trading, learning the map for the first time, etc etc, seams acceptable. many maps are very unforgiving towards this.

Is it a pipe dream? maybe. But I keep thinking there are ways to design a map that allows players find new ways to engage the enemy while still having hope of the final objective.

Well steamroll is unavoidable if you intend to have balanced map, because it is caused by unbalanced teams, long as there is unbalanced teams, there is steamrolls, stop trying fix something that can't be fixed.

Last edited:

Dragonhill

Jul 9, 2008
It sounds like you're advocating Tea-Breaks.

Allowing for this will make it way too easy to defend when your team is actually paying attention. Designing a map and taking Afk'ers into account only works when things go to a rather limited plan. Also:

EDITING TO RESPOND TO LATEST RESPONSE:

"Do you like my new car?"

"It's made of rice pudding."

"Yeah, yeah, but look past that"

"It's made of goddamn rice pudding."

"Yeah, but have i varnished it right?"

I have plyed mesa2 -i'll even look for a server hosting it tonight if you want. I have not played Mesa1

Sounds like you are too busy to look for varnish
:p

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
You know what, after that reply you really made yourself look like a dick, not that you didn't already look like dick for taking other people work and not giving them credit, and planning to give it when ever you get around final version.

Hopefully drp comes and locks this thread.

Dragonhill

Jul 9, 2008
You know what, after that reply you really made yourself look like a dick, not that you didn't already look like dick for taking other people work and not giving them credit, and planning to give it when ever you get around final version.

Hopefully drp comes and locks this thread.

I'm still waiting to hear about miss-aligned textures, bugs, etc.
None yet, and I know they are there.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
credit must be given from the start if you use any assets that are not yours. you have 24hrs to include credit where credit is due or the thread is being purged.

thanks.

Dragonhill

Jul 9, 2008
credit must be given from the start if you use any assets that are not yours. you have 24hrs to include credit where credit is due or the thread is being purged.

thanks.

Feel free to purge ASAP.
The credit for all assets will be release with the final version.
Unless you want a credit dump for current version right here in the forum thread.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
if you're using assets as of now, yes a credit 'dump' is necessary.

Jakkarra

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 26, 2009
Dragon, you need to put the credit required for any items you have used in the Original Post. It's just common courtesy.

JustJv

Sep 20, 2008
I don't get what all the fuzz is about.. I'm the one who re-textured the HEV-suits (And some others textures in the map) and I do not CARE ONE SLIGHT BIT if my name gets included in the beta or not as long as I get it in the final... He's a good guy. Just be thankful he appreciates the assets and includes them in the map. He said he will credits the authors of it.

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
Also, feedback comes in all shapes and sizes, not just mis-aligned textures.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
I don't get what all the fuzz is about.. I'm the one who re-textured the HEV-suits (And some others textures in the map) and I do not CARE ONE SLIGHT BIT if my name gets included in the beta or not as long as I get it in the final... He's a good guy. Just be thankful he appreciates the assets and includes them in the map. He said he will credits the authors of it.

You aren't everyone else, while you might not care, others might.