Black Mesa

Radaka

L420: High Member
May 24, 2009
We're going to need more proof than that. It doesn't look canceled to me.

Wikipedia is not a valid source, as anyone can edit it.

Dr. ROCKZO

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jul 25, 2009
They barely say anything ever, this thing has been in development for years and they've only made like, 10 blog posts. I loved Half Life 1, can't wait.

Numerous

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 14, 2009
They have a twitter account but they haven't updated it since January.

http://twitter.com/BlackMesaDevs

Not that I can blame them for that.

Or maybe they've been working really hard on black mesa and thus haven't had the time to go post stuff on twitter?

I find it ironic that you're saying that because something's taking a long time then it's cancelled, when they're remaking a game by Valve.

Numerous

Oct 14, 2009
Balck meisa aer voporware.

Well you know what else is vaporware? Darkfall. Seven years of production and not one hint they're getting anywhere. It'll never come out.

You know what's ALSO vaporware?
TF2.

Yup, 6 years since it was announced and very little to show for it. They'll never release it. Don't be silly.

/conv

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I don't get it. Are you saying that because Black Mesa has shown in the past some pretty screen shots and WIP tech demos it is still being made/has already been released, or that it's never going to come out?

Numerous

Oct 14, 2009
I don't get it. Are you saying that because Black Mesa has shown in the past some pretty screen shots and WIP tech demos it is still being made/has already been released, or that it's never going to come out?
I'm saying that black mesa is in a similar development cycle to other games, such as Darkfall online, and TF2 (both of which came out, as you should DEFINITELY know with TF2), or for a similar situation, the nameless mod (mod for deus ex).

The nameless mod took 7 years or so to be released, and everyone thought it was vaporware every step of the way. The fact is, if that can be released, then a mod like black mesa (which is infinitely more stable, development-wise, and they don't have to worry about the exponential feature creep, because they already have a model [half life] they're basing the mod on) can easily come out without that much news. The fact is, no news doesn't mean it's vaporware, as shown by the 3 examples above.

People can claim it with no proof, yet it's up to us to prove them wrong? From the black mesa team's record, they are making stuff, so I'm going to give them a little faith, seeing as there's no proof whatsoever that it's vaporware, and hey, because someone said it on the internet, it must be true.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I'm saying that black mesa is in a similar development cycle to other games, such as Darkfall online, and TF2 (both of which came out, as you should DEFINITELY know with TF2), or for a similar situation, the nameless mod (mod for deus ex).

The nameless mod took 7 years or so to be released, and everyone thought it was vaporware every step of the way. The fact is, if that can be released, then a mod like black mesa (which is infinitely more stable, development-wise, and they don't have to worry about the exponential feature creep, because they already have a model [half life] they're basing the mod on) can easily come out without that much news. The fact is, no news doesn't mean it's vaporware, as shown by the 3 examples above.

People can claim it with no proof, yet it's up to us to prove them wrong? From the black mesa team's record, they are making stuff, so I'm going to give them a little faith, seeing as there's no proof whatsoever that it's vaporware, and hey, because someone said it on the internet, it must be true.

I never said Black Mesa was dropped, cancelled, or abandoned, but at its current development cycle I could begin work on a Half Life mod and release it before BM:S even comes out.

EDIT:

Black Mesa did go through numerous stages where there were frequent updates and very exciting community contests. Unfortunately, after the dev team went down and out, those stopped. TNM, despite being a very ghostly mod in terms of development, followed a consistent kind of silence throughout its development process. This kind of silence on a Half Life mod should indicate that it'll have something out pretty soon.

Team Fortress 2's silence was also relatively consistent, and the development team struggled with balancing gameplay between several different modes. Black Mesa is creating a singleplayer and deathmatch remake of Half Life. There is no balancing to be done, no special art style to be uncovered, no other modes to plan out. The cooperative adventure would have redeemed this, but that's been dropped from development until further notice.

Darkfall and Team Fortress 2 also struggled with development due to corporate issues. TF2 was delayed due to the team being moved to different projects to better Valve as a whole and not much time was put into TF2 until it began to shape into what it is today. Darkfall's original team was acquired and suffered publication issues throughout its development.

I'm sure there's evidence to explain why Black Mesa is taking so long, but honestly it really comes down to the Trespasser Effect.

Last edited:

Schrikvis

L1: Registered
Aug 3, 2011
Heh.
Funfact; there's screenshots of almost the entire game ready.
Why aren't they releasing it?

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Was it really needed to bump really old thread just to mention rather old screenshots on their wiki?
I was expecting there to be some progress as the thread was suddenly bumped.