Bedrock

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
If you're interested, here's some considerations for your layout:

ctf_bedrock_a130000.jpg

Where you previously had the 3 sniper windows, only allow the far one to be shot from, blocking off the other 2 with wooden boards should also improve optimisation. Especially when utilising hints. But also importantly for gameplay, it helps to balance the sniper by allowing other classes to anticipate specific sniper spots.

You might also consider having a bridge design similar to 2fort, with the log beams, to decrease the claustrophobic feeling from the lack of light caused by the solid walls. Since there is no battlements per say, not to mention any higher ground to access and shoot from, it might be beneficial to remove the roof on your bridge as well. It would look so much nicer with some sun in the middle. The aesthetics really suffer from the tall cliffs blocking ambient light, letting some sun on the bridge would be nice.

I do believe you can afford to narrow the bridge, 2fort's bridge is narrower than this, and it's sewers are only a secondary consideration (depending on class and tactics). Your map has slopes from the sewers to the front of the bases, and the fact that the lower ground is just as viable an attack route as the main, i can't see spam seriously being an issue (IMO). It would also increase combat relations between the high and low ground by icnreasing sight lines to that low ground.

edit: oh yea, moving the spawn from the right wall on this image, to the bottom wall, would make the sewer more of a flanking route, and increase player flow through your buildings, particularly the "main" base exit with the door. Doing so would also give you oppotunities to join the old spawn building and existing intel room, to make for a more interesting intel building design.

Last edited:

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
Im scared that midget thanks you for feedback on my map before I do :p, Thanks for all this feedback btw. Im gonna make the bridge thinner, and its been opened up quite a bit already.
I can see what you mean about spawns, but I feel they work well as they are. Ive also shortened the sight lines in both the tracks & sewers, and all this will hopefully make the buildings a better Idea.

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
I thank it because it's good, and will help bedrock become good. I also notice that I always spawn on the left hand side (I think, the one far away from the sewers) whereas I think there are two exits, it bugs me D:

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
Thanks for the feedback midget, and Ive got totally new spawn rooms for beta already :D The whole left side thing we discussed in chat do I aint gonna post again.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Omfg beta?!

EDIT: Clipping stuff - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/841648/Clipping.zip some you may want (hangovers over doors) I pointed em out nonetheless. By the by, your displacement clipping is terribad.

EDIT2: Detailing stuff - I found your displacement work lackluster and rushed. Try to make things seem a bit smoother some were jagged to the point of "wtf?" Most of the rooms seemed bare, and I noticed the repeat of textures. Try to incorporate more stain overlays, paint here and there. Add doorframes around your doors. Small things like these make detailing look right. Some things like the tracks to the roof of a building really stumped me in the thought process.

I suggest you read This. Work on bedrock, get it to make sense in the reality it's in, fix any and all errors. Read it again, then look at your map. Here's images after a quick runthrough: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/841648/Detailing.zip

EDIT3: Fix this shiz

SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/generator_valve01.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/generator_valve01.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/conveyor_belt.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/conveyor_belt.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/track_straight_256.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/track_straight_256.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/track_straight_128.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/track_arc_90degree_128.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/track_straight_128.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/shrub_03_cluster.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/shrub_03_cluster.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/crane002.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_mining/crane002.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysic

Last edited:

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
Thanks Midget, I just wanted to release something after so long working. Im already starting work on b2, with 110% more railroad tracks! :p I don't get how you dont see the point in the tracks, though I really should make them end somewhere else....

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks Midget, I just wanted to release something after so long working. Im already starting work on b2, with 110% more railroad tracks! :p I don't get how you dont see the point in the tracks, though I really should make them end somewhere else....

The fact that it ends at the cap building, like detail wise, it doesn't add up.

Snacks

TODO: Clever title
Oct 15, 2009
b2:

Displacement ramp missing edge, space between displacement and building
W1Uyv.jpg

nodraw hole
WzCXv.jpg

clip this (both sides)
mBThF.jpg

these chimneys disappear and appear as you get closer
vc3Jr.jpg

displacement (both sides)
7TPzJ.jpg

this wire swings into the wall and appears to flash
avZ7O.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
thanks snacks, I think the flashing chimenys is the props origin being in the middle of the sealing sky brush, though the wire is weird....

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
I FEEL SPECIAL! updated with another novint box! silly me.

VIVA LA NWO

L2: Junior Member
Apr 6, 2010
2mcyf6s.jpg

There are a few other issues that need to be addressed:

23kp4xe.jpg

This clipping is odd and doesn't fit. Users can walk forward and run into an invisible wall if they're hugging the wall and the clip brush is much bigger than the model.

i3b4bd.jpg

Again a user hugging the wall will hit an invisible wall. In addition, the cart I'm standing on in the screenshot is in the mountain? That seems a bit strange visually...

2eywdbl.jpg

The clip brush to my left should completely cover the top of the brush I'm standing on

Last edited: