Bedrock

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
Also, for those not at the test, a5 released! now named bedrock.

cant remember all the changes so meh.

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
Alpha 6 released!

-some changes to spawn
- widened the side tunnel
- fixed up some of the clipping issues
- moved the intel position to make the drop in from roof the best approach
- removed player clipping from the intel roof

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
Alpha 8 is out!

* detailed intel rooms
*changed some lighting around
* added areaportals in some places

ctf_bedrock_a80000.jpg

ctf_bedrock_a80001.jpg

ctf_bedrock_a80002.jpg

ctf_bedrock_a80003.jpg

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
a9 with minor changes, gonna get this tested today or on a gameday soon... havent had testing for a while D:

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
I don't care how many times valve does this. It will still bug the hell out of me.
259jple.jpg

Clip your doorframes!
2celpu1.jpg

This bit might be a bit powerful for sentries if there is more than 1 engineer. I'm not sure though, since a demoman could probably take this out from a certain angle.
iwkyab.jpg

I like the improvements you made. Especially the extension to the middle area.

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
walloftext

Thanks for the feedback. According to the chat, the doorframes for spawn are the wrong way round :O also that sentree spot is easily approachable from the train tracks, I am more pissed about the one at the side of the intel room. More than 1-2 engies is just a stupid tactic anyway. Then again on a certain map the whole opposite team went engie and guarded the 2nd point :O

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
Ok, big thanks to Boojum for changing the thread name :D a10 will be out tomorrow :D

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
alpha 10 released! check the main post for details.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98931/pics/ctf_bedrock_a100000.jpg
A couple times I got stuck in here when attacking. The slope is too high to jump up on and you can get helplessly pinned in with a sentry or enemies on the outside. I'd say either rotate the rock so there is no empty space there, or bring down the edge of the slope so you can jump out.

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
A13! This time post >:|

word of mouth feedback is fine though half the time Ill forget what yah say :D

Furex

L4: Comfortable Member
May 30, 2009
realy liked the flow of this map at todays gameday! I think it was on this map the your custom doorframes had the textures horizontal and not vertically, if you change it, it will look much better. If it wasnt at this map, nevermind that!

Keep up the good work mate! :D

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Something is not quite right. It's a lovely map overall, but I just hate attacking that intel room. Probably because of how far in the intel is placed. Whichever way you choose to go in, you have a bit of a problem going out. Especially considering how the spawn room is so close to the entrance of the intel room. You also have some uncomfortable angles to attack it, since the defenders often are above the attackers in that area, and rarely the other way around.

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
Something is not quite right. It's a lovely map overall, but I just hate attacking that intel room. Probably because of how far in the intel is placed. Whichever way you choose to go in, you have a bit of a problem going out. Especially considering how the spawn room is so close to the entrance of the intel room. You also have some uncomfortable angles to attack it, since the defenders often are above the attackers in that area, and rarely the other way around.

So not so much attacking more like escaping? I could always make a wee tunnel going from where the safe is out of the intel room.....

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I think you could probably resolve it by placing it in the middle of the room. I managed to cap the flag 6 times pretty much unhindered a lot of the time so i personally didn't have a problem. But it was an anxious feeling making my way out of that hut with the spawn right behind it. There's a strong possibility i was just well timed with all of my incursions... though the defence did get stronger as the map went along. Our team had a pretty solid defence with a sentry where Nerd's screen caps show. That sentry stopped all the lesser assaults which were pretty much what most of my assaults and successful captures were, i geuss perhaps my team was serving as a good distraction else where, i can't really say.

My only gripe with the map is that the intel room/area just isn't "epic". It's not that interesting. The rest of the map seemed to have nice gameplay... but maybe that's just me pwning noobs?

I found the lower route to be the most useful, not to mention safe what with that medium health kit ready to boost your health as you escape the enemy base. All of my successful captures were through here, and that worries me because if a team (such as my teams defence, apparently) realises this, they have an easy time defending from the high ground. The "sewer" route is normally balanced because it exits further into the base, and normally out of sight (out of mind), but yours feels more like the main route, and with players being visible in the middle, let alone penetrating further into the bases territory.

There's almost no reason for players to use the route behind the door (from the bridge), which overall reduces the reason why anyone would use the bridge. The narrow corridor behind it is a horrible choke point easily defended by snipers; right from outside their spawn no less.

The bridge should be narrower, it might be nice to get a little sky into the lower pass anyway. The side slopes from the sewer pass could maybe do with being wider too. Maybe even twice as wide, so that more people notice them.

Since there was no exchange from the low to high ground, you might consider raising that lower ground up by 128 units. The pass is so deep and narrow it's almost useless shoot up and down on each other. Players have to jump down to actually engage in combat.

Last edited:

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
Thanks Grazr, Ive broken up the sightline for beta at both the sewers and the tracks, which seem to be 2 of yer gripes. The bridge is as wide as it is so its not too spammy, though I can see what youre saying about the mid. I may spend a bit of time reworking things, I think if people just notice the way down that isn't jumping the combat will be a bit more multi-levelled.

On the whole intel room thing I shall release 2 versions of the beta, one of which will be invade CTF. Whichever plays better will be set for b2. Thnaks a lot for the detailed and useful feedback! :D