The next installment is ready!

:)

ctf_avantiville_b29

bsp for players
http://www.stevotvr.com/~web3_beeron/maps/ctf_avantiville_b29.bsp

bz2 for server ops
http://www.stevotvr.com/~web3_beeron/maps/ctf_avantiville_b29.bsp.bz2

change log as follows:
- Flags now spawn on last captured point (like in TFC) as opposed to outside the active spawn room.
- Added blocking system so red can stand on the point and block.
- Added flag return count down timer (last 15 seconds).
- Moved BLU's 1st spawn
- Changed spawn patterns for RED and BLU
- Removed a RED spawn room
- Removed a BLU spawn room
- Updated mission briefing (still not final)
- Reduced CP1 area
- Added ramp to CP1
- moved ramp in CP4

here's the new ramp for CP4 *wink* we've already tested it and it worked great!
ctf_avantiville_b280000.jpg

...I think that's it.

edit : DL links updated.

Last edited:

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Looks immense good job

General_Norris

L2: Junior Member
Nov 16, 2009
Hi! I'm from a Spanish TF2 Clan with a pretty busy server and we are using your map. Are you still working on it? I have some suggestions so as to improve the map.

The players think the map is beautiful but it's kind of easy to get lost. The major complain is the chainlink fence that blocks the most obvious route of RED to the second control point. Hell, I thought it wasa bug because even I couldn't find the way out until it was too late.

Also spies are somewhat overpowered, don't you think?

I really like your version of Avanti and I would like to help you to finish it. If you want to, I will tell you all the problems I have found with the map so as to improve it. It's long so be prepared! XD

Thanks for the map.

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
Heya General Norris, I would love to hear any thoughts you have about improving the map. The fence that blocked the point was working correctly, it was the spawn rooms that were enabling out of sync...

So, indirectly, ya the fence was a bug.

As far as classes being over powered, I have heard equal complaints about all the classes, so I will assume that that means it's fairly balanced.

Anyways....

I have picked back up on this, and am troubleshooting my spawn system. Hopefully a fresh head will help me solve this.

PS - I'm really bummed life had to happen right when I was going to enter this map in the last ctf contesst :(

edit: I found the spawn room error. will be updating links after I get it compiled.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
If you move the final CP into the centre of the room, it would be more of a focus, and defenders can shoot down onto it better.

The ramp suggestion i made was supposed to be against the wall, but it was kinda hard to see from the perspective of the screen shot. Where it is is an improvement but it still blocks some line of sight to the CP.

P.S. Are you working on any other maps, or has life been sapping your time a lot?

l3eeron

Jan 4, 2008
Here is my next version.

Feels a little more more tf2-ish because of the better (not good) detailing. The 3d skybox is pretty rough-n-dirty and needs work, but the gameplay should be getting close, the last tweaks have been very minor which is a good sign.

Here's the download links

Players click here

For the server guys

Some screenshots of the detail work with some 3d skybox too.
actf_avantiville_b320002a.jpg

actf_avantiville_b320006.jpg

actf_avantiville_b320005.jpg

actf_avantiville_b320004.jpg

actf_avantiville_b320003.jpg

Last edited:

Vinni3

L1: Registered
Feb 16, 2009
Particularly in your 3rd pic, it almost seems like too much detail.

Indeed. You need to make your detailing more subtle ie. the detail doesn't affect you when playing, but when you stop and look, you see it.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
im loving the lighting on your map. it's just right - 0,00001 % brighter and it would be too much for my taste.
i don't know, it feels fresh and funky :D
i think you need to change orientation of your wooden railing supports (the vertical ones on hte 4th pic - looks rotated 90°)
but overall great !

l3eeron

Jan 4, 2008
:)

I'm glad it looks pleasing to you Acumen.

We've been having a ton of fun on this map. I'm still working out some issues with game play as far as transitions as points get capped, but it's solid right now.

From what I can tell, the map plays good and people are rating the map pretty highly. Any further releases will be mostly detail work and minor adjustments.

honorum646

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 9, 2009
I just played on this map, and experienced a small problem. My team couldn't cap the flag but didn't drop it and we spent about 15 minutes in overtime tryingto break up their huge sentry defense.

I'm not sure if you know about this, but it is quite annoying after a while of hearing constant "overtime" broadcasts.

l3eeron

Jan 4, 2008
Hi and Thanks honorum,

I'm looking for a solution to that. I've been hearing all kinds of different information, like:

"You can't change that, it's hard coded"

"It's the player's own settings that invoke the constant 'OVERTIME' "

etc etc

I've asked a few people here, was met with silence so I'm trying to find the setting through trial and error by myself. Will definitely be on the top of the list for the next installment.

l3eeron

Jan 4, 2008
I wish I knew for sure, this is tedious.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
I love this map.

Do a flythrough vid with the music from Spagonia from Sonic Unleashed.