Assignment Frenzy #3: Models

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Unless you manually changed the default install location, that is actually the 32 bit one. 64 bit applications are installed to the "plain" program files directory. 32 bit ones go to the one marked as x86.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98931/pics/psbits.JPG

edit: I see Aly's is different too though. Maybe Adobe has been messing with the installer.

Ah, strange that it would install into 2 different directories. When i ran the PS.exe i noticed a tiny "x32" from the one i initially thought was the 64 bit install. It created a 64 bit shortcut but not a 32 bit one.

I've installed the vtf plugin to the 32-bit install and it seems to be running fine. woot :D

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I have stopped using the photoshop vtf plugin as it causes a green tint on all textures saved through it
(just save a completely white image and then check the color of the output vtf).
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1281220/TF2Maps/AF4/psplugin_tint.htm

- I save my textures as .tga
- Open the .tga with VTFEdit
- Config the properties, default is fine for non translucent standard textures.
- Save as .vtf

While the PS plugin is faster. I got into this habit while doing the construction pack. As I didn't want discolored textures to go up for public download.

Last edited:

3Dnj

Ducks
aa
Dec 21, 2008
If it's green, it's probably because DXT1 format use one more bit for the green channel so it's a compression problem (who cares, shut up 3D !!!)

Anyway I like this assignment (and I have time those days) just need to find an idea :D

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
If anyone needs some help with modeling and whatnot I'll be idling the chatroom for the duration of this.

Shoot me a message if you need some help and I'll see if I can give you some tips or something~

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Here's an image I made:
create_a_model.png

This is just a way too easily see how things are done, there are no in depth explanation for any of the steps, but if you're stuck, just tell me where and I'll help you out best I can.

It kinda follows up from the other images I've been throwing around in chat:
These are probably hard to understand without some extra explanation.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1281220/bottle_stepbystep.png
1. make a cylinder like the one shown on the far left.
2. convert to editable poly
3. execute steps as shown in the image, they are vague as I want you to explore and find the tools for the job. Experiment with what selection mode you should use!

If you can't find the tools I mention, even after searching through the UI:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1281220/bottle_faceselection.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1281220/bottle_edgeselection.png

Terwonick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 25, 2010
After 3.5 fruitless hours of trying to use harribo's links I realize that the problem is mine, not theirs. I need a step-by-step installation guide for windows 7 for every program I'd have to use. :(

Last edited:

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Does anyone know if I can model with Rhinoceros 4.0 or SolidWorks and then export to 3D StudioMax? I can export from 3DMax to rhinoceros but if I do it other way around does it screw my work. Should I simply try and start with 3DMax only? There might be problems as these two programs work with nurbs and rhinoceros makes models hollow and solidworks make them solid. Although in rhinoceros I can choose to work with polygons. Does it matter if the model is solid or hollow? And by hollow I mean it might have leaks similar to hammer maps.

I simply ask this because these are the programs I use in school and I have familiar with these.

Depends what formats they can export.

.obj is pretty widely recognized so if they export that you are fine for sure. There are also many other formats Max can import. Just look at the import list.

On export no model would be 'solid', just points in space and faces that are attached.

But no, models won't leak.
----------

@Grazer

Why not instal gimp. It has vtf plugin and you can just open your psd file in it. It's an extra step but...

May 2, 2009
I tried to bring models from SolidWorks and Rhinoceros but I never was satisfied with the result, so I decided to learn 3DSMax. This is my second model ever done with this program. Now to learn how to apply textures and so on. It's supposed to be broken roadblock made from wood and metal. I'll post my reference image later.

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
:O This way I can work on the Urban theme props, and join the contest at the same time. I should check the site more frequently so I don't miss announcements like this. :p

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
can I redo props I've made before if i make the them from scratch and try to make them more detailed?

Yes, if the entire model is made within the Assignment timelimit you may re-use one of your older ideas.

AyesDyef

L2: Junior Member
Jun 12, 2009
I won't be able to finish this in time as I've got to go to bed early tonight to drive interstate 3 hours, and I won't be back in time for this assignment's end.

So I'ma post how far I got >:

shadowmapsappliedcombinedview.jpg

shadowmapsappliedexplodedview.jpg

halfcompleteinmodelviewer.jpg

Good luck to all those who remain!