ash (working title)

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Todays results from the gameday, the MVPs on blue who led 2 - 0 were, a sniper, a demo, and the medic healing the sniper

not sure what to make of it

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
From what I gathered before I had to go, it seemed very hard to get into the intel room. The objective was also confusing, because when it comes to invade CTF we're all used to having it start in the middle. I think you should consider that.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The bases:

The main problem was BLU's (and advertantly RED's) cap zone is easily locked down by 2 sentry's; God forbid if there were ever any more since most server settings allow 4 engineers. The problem wasn't the concentration of sentries but their dispersed positions. Taking out one sentry usually allowed enough time for freshly spawned players to see the action and immediately defend that flank before any real damage (and a capture) is made. A direct result of hte 3 catwalks. Destroying one position meant crossing the yard to take out another, then moving further again to take out the third etc.

The cap room itself is of a reasonable size, but having the catwalk around it means that sentry's can defend from up to 3 seperate high ground locations, that even the most skilled of executed ubers would struggle to take out more than 1 nest.

The 2 caps that were achieved were ninja caps at that, performed by a scout coming from under the one RED sentry position, and dying on the point, and a dead ringer spy whom zapped the sentry, picked up the dropped intel, moved it forwards, died by my hands before immediately uncloaking picking it up again and capping it before dying by the unzapped sentry. (Well played by the spy, these are usually my moves, but ninja cap none the less given the cirumstances).

I almost did the same thing as scout on RED but died on the hazard strips from the 2 BLU sentry nests. (QQ)

The yard has too much high ground overlooking it. You should consider removing the battlement's entrance to the yard, moving its path to the small ramp room beside it, and removing the catwalk that was behind it. Having 3 entrances and a secondary 4th accessible by soldiers and demo's only diluted player efforts and confused players assaulting, particularly when dealing with all the static defenses dispersed throughout the base.

See:
ctf_ash_a30004.jpg

Additionally, the right spawn exit that leads to the drop down. Remove the balcony and replace it with windows that cannot be shot out of (to balance the SG issue, and any snipers that prefer to sit outside of their spawn). This should still allow players to see and acknowledge their cap zone (through the glass) and any immediate threats in the yard after a respawn.

When compromising this particular piece of advice, to what ever work around you do execute for this location, bare in mind that spies should always be able to zap a teleporter entrance.

The no mans land:

The middle was rather long, and by long i mean looooong. Either cut out a chunk of the length or add in more buildings. Whilst the area was wide and generally open, a sentry (with support) could lock down one flank from inside or behind the forward hut, whilst soldiers, demos and snipers had the high ground in the very middle, with the medium health. Making it very difficult to assault beyond your own bases walls.

Either cut out a portion of the length:
ctf_ash_a3a0001a.jpg

Or add in a lot more buildings on the flanks:
ctf_ash_a3a0001b.jpg

Or maybe a combination of both.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008
Indeed, it was very confusing. At the beginning of the round both teams were just running blind to the mid. Noone thought of taking a look at the flag. They even pushed through and tried to capture our flag.
The scores were very low as well. Maybe make it easier to get in the bases?

Screeeeeenshots!

I saw a lot of people falling down here, and then TURNING BACK and going outside, back into their own intel yard, not knowing that there is a path going to the right. Adding an arrow here might solve the problem.
ctf_ash_a3a0005.jpg

An other small thing that might improve flow is this railing here: Opening it up might encourage players to get down earlier and taking the middle route out of the base.
ctf_ash_a3a0006.jpg

Also, those particles were kind of annoying, nomming the frames away.
Hope this helps!

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
Ash.png

Just a little thing I found to be annoying when attacking. - Also the FPS was baaaad. :(

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
Updated to A5. Took some notes from the test yesterday/today and made something that will hopefully work.

a5-
- Removed pillars at mid to open up the area a bit.
- changed the middle health pack back into a medium.
- Added 2nd level to mid, this should hopefully make attacking easier.
- Added pathways to the balcony that anyone can access via the new mid.
- Extended flag return time.
- Minor things.

DOWNLOAD

Aug 10, 2009
It was a fun playtest for me today :), but the map definitely still has issues.

First and foremost, the final cap area is very, very campy. Sentries were very powerful in the corners, and the only place someone could kill them from (the above tunnel, generally) was easy to spam (the above tunnel isn't really the concern though imo). Take out those sentry spots! Also, once you get the flag across mid, it's pretty easy to cap without sentries (as the game today displayed) so keep that in mind.

BUT: POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT: That mid is awesooooooomeeeeeeee :O :O :O

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
Test bump!

Glad the new layout isn't a total disaster. But I'd love some tips on what to change.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
It isn't? From how it felt today that's what I would call it. The middle is huge and everyone is all spread out everywhere. Snipers cap you from across the map and scouts see you from anywhere and chase you to death.

The new base layout might work... but it's hard to say with a middle that size.