CP ArtPass_Treythepunkid

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
For the moving boxes, just one seems a little static. Make it so there are two boxes in the room at any time to make it look more like an actual shipping rail and less like an a scripted event.

Vergil

L1: Registered
Jul 31, 2010
For the moving boxes, just one seems a little static. Make it so there are two boxes in the room at any time to make it look more like an actual shipping rail and less like an a scripted event.
I agree with this. Less an event and more a steady stream of boxes.

J-Factor

Nov 14, 2009
I love the factory theme.

The little touches like the box rail, auto-miners and the vat really bring the place alive. I wouldn't mind a few working conveyor belts behind some glass!

If you ever make a fly-through, when you enter the factory it should play Powerhouse by Raymond Scott (longer version here). That's pretty much the theme music for this map in my head now.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
I know you're really eager to show off your modelling skills, but you need to look back at the source material- valve maps- and realize how little of their maps actually move of their own accord. Of course they have the entity/modelling/animation skill to make such things happen, but it's distracting to players. I would concentrate on one or two novel features and not go overboard. I'm not saying this because I'm competition- I genuinely think you're going to end up with too much flashy things going on. Perhaps stick with the helicopter and polish that up really well, get some particle effects for blowback, etc, and make that a nice focal point- the other stuff is gonna end up as a minus rather than a plus IMHO

Pie Cake

Jul 31, 2010
I agree with MangyCarface. Maybe, instead of deleting everything, keep those moving things you made but make them stand still. I think it would even look nicer, and way less distracting.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Pretty much the only animated models are the CP's, dynamic doors and end game finale's. Even the trains arn't animated and the spytech consoles are merely material proxies.

Animated objects serve particular roles in drawing attention to important game mechanics such as objectives, or rewards for completing said objectives.

If you do have animated objects try to make them animate slowly as to not detract from the reason why people play the game: to kill each other. The helicopter jiggling like it's on a piece of string is distracting, as are the speedy pistons and cogs. If you really want them moving have them move at a speed that is only noticable when you pause to watch, not so speedy that people do pause to watch.

P.S. Don't use player model easter eggs in the playable area. It will confuse the enemy and even allies.

Last edited:

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Another thing I'd suggest is to not control the 'story' of your map so tightly. In a multiplayer game where a map is played over and over, unlike a single player map, I think it's best to leave as much of the interpretation in the players' hands. The more you keep untold the more interesting a space can be...

treythepunkid

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 8, 2008
Hey, thanks for all the feedback!

I look at it now and agree that the speed that some of my animations are a bit to fast and could be distracting since they are right in the middle of the playable area.

I never wanted them to be so distracting, only for them to add to the atmosphere as you fight. From now on i will keep all animated things away from the player as much as possible and keep them at a slow speed.

Thanks guys!

Simski

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2010
I do enjoy easter eggs, and I do wish you to keep a lot of those cool things you've made in game.

I would however suggest putting them somewhere they don't bother gameplay.
Like people have said, animated things are very distracting.

The best place to put them are areas where the player doesn't need to focus as much on the battlefield, such being visible through the window from your spawn room.

People also tend to want to interact with animated objects to see if they can do something with them, therefor it is a good idea to keep them out of player reach so they can focus on the game instead.
I do for example think that a lot of Soldiers are going to try and rocket jump up to the moving crate, and a lot of people are going to try shooting at it, same with the Helicopter.

Last edited:

treythepunkid

Sep 8, 2008
Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted anything lately. Been kinda busy with other things.

I WAS going to post an update today but i don't think i will be able to. I will update you guys on what i'm working on tomorrow i swear!

Sorry again!

treythepunkid

Sep 8, 2008
As promised here is a update!

7defb.jpg

M1xSe.jpg

j1K2t.jpg

Also a new video update!

I hope these trees are mostly out of the way, the animation could be slower but here it is for now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dfj3UUl3IQ

Vergil

Jul 31, 2010
Nice. The 'facility under the desert' feel brings back a lot of nostalgia of Black Mesa. Do you have the entrance of the building worked out yet? Seems you're working from C and branching out.

treythepunkid

Sep 8, 2008
Nice. The 'facility under the desert' feel brings back a lot of nostalgia of Black Mesa. Do you have the entrance of the building worked out yet? Seems you're working from C and branching out.

Hah yeah your right, i dose kinda fee like Black Mesa.

I have been working backwards from C. Cant wait to get outside, I love detailing outdoor environments!

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
General comments:

- It's an interesting theme, but don't make it MANN CO. MANN CO is and will always be a very neutral facility, so don't make one team own it or it will simply be contradictory with TF2's story as we know it.

- Your metal pots looks good, but that's some crazy yellow liquid you have. In general, molten metals are much more whitish with an orangish glow:
26781866-foundry-molten-metal-crucible.jpg

- You have a lot of moving parts around the place. That's fine in itself, but it's the best if that's kept out of the playing areas and kept into specified detail rooms so people can notice them if they're looking at it but don't NEED to look at it. The helicopter in itself might be overly distracting but I'd have to go through the map to see that for myself at least.

- Don't focus on modelling only. It's probably unnecessary to say this because it's in the early stages, but while your models look generally good the detailing that's not modelling looks rather bland. Work on that first, then models - you've got enough of those for a while.

Best of luck!

Username

L2: Junior Member
Aug 26, 2008
-On the trees swaying... It'd be a lot more realistic (and less distracting) if the trunks of the trees were bent outward slightly but not really moving, while the leaves are flipping out.

-Custom posters might be cool. I agree you should avoid MANN CO, go with a pun on black mesa. Obsidian Plateau, perhaps? (Heh. OP weapons, inc.)

treythepunkid

Sep 8, 2008
Why is the helicopter just hovering?

Its waiting for its next shipment of weapons to carry out.

General comments:

- It's an interesting theme, but don't make it MANN CO. MANN CO is and will always be a very neutral facility, so don't make one team own it or it will simply be contradictory with TF2's story as we know it.

- Your metal pots looks good, but that's some crazy yellow liquid you have. In general, molten metals are much more whitish with an orangish glow

- You have a lot of moving parts around the place. That's fine in itself, but it's the best if that's kept out of the playing areas and kept into specified detail rooms so people can notice them if they're looking at it but don't NEED to look at it. The helicopter in itself might be overly distracting but I'd have to go through the map to see that for myself at least.

- Don't focus on modelling only. It's probably unnecessary to say this because it's in the early stages, but while your models look generally good the detailing that's not modelling looks rather bland. Work on that first, then models - you've got enough of those for a while.

Best of luck!

I know right, my molten metal texture is weird atm. I want to make it white hot but i felt that would look a bit silly. I will have to experiment with some things to make it look just right.

Also i agree with the Mann Co thing. I guess it wouldn't look to good if suddenly Saxton was on the RED's side. I was going to play it off as saying that this Mann Co factory is one of THOUSANDS and this one just happen to fall on RED land but i like what Username said. I could still keep it a weapons manufacturer plant (but really at this stage it could be ANY type of factory) but name it something else and just make it another part of REDs industrial chain.

Hah btw I loved the name "Obsidian Plateau". I might just make that the name of the facility (that is if i cant think of anything better, which i probably wont.).