CP ArtPass_Treythepunkid

treythepunkid

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 8, 2008
i think you're taking step 3 before step 2.
you're making all these gorgeous assets, yet only started with developing your sense of the style, atmosphere and theme of the map. the models stick our very prominently and the rest of the map kinda dies in "undetailledness". the pistons looks really nice and all, yet they don't seem to have any visible function. they are animated and work, but i cannot make any connection to their actual use in that scene. i really think it could help if you take the time and think about that very phrase in your opening post:

if you work that out, i'm sure you'll have it a lot easier to progress and can concentrate on the models better, because you know how they're used.
it's just what comes across from your postings so far. i'm gonna be a quiet little bird from now on and watch you progress :D
promised :blushing:

I know i know, my idea was to get all the assets i needed first so that i could then later play around with them when i was doing detail.

The reason i'm the only one that can see the purpose of the gears and pistons is because i know what i have planned out and and am sorry i didn't post exactly what the point of them where in the beginning.

In the room to the left of the final point there is a brush block that seems to be important to the gameplay. In place of that block i am going to model a functioning power generator. The power running from that run down into the last points room. From there it is connected through different wires and cables (model based) to the gears and pistons. These in turn are hooked up to the main reason the blu's invaded the Mann Co factory in the first place.

The main point is on top of (or like really close to) the Mann Co's main power reactor. I have since added vents on the Australium pit around the main point. These will lead into a chamber where a massive power reactor is generating power through out the factory. 10000x more than any normal power generator could do. Its an amazing work of Australian engineering.

The gears and pistons power the hydraulic pumps used to feed Australium into the pit and onto the reactor. The reactor is in fact running on liquid Australium. Through out the factory you will see mines with robots mining away for the sweet sweet Austrlium chunks.

So you see, the upper deck of the final point is a shipping area where things would get airlifted out. Thats why a Helicopter is hovering there. I will be adding cranes and other props to make sure thats clear. The lower deck is the main power source for the Mann Co facility, i will also be adding more props and detail clearly stating whats going on down there.

The main point is still in a experimental stage. Once i figure out exactly how my theme will play out i will detail the rest of the map. Remeber its still a WIP, so all of this could change in the blink of an eye!:p

And congrats on getting Veteran!

Btw, i haven't removed any blocks, the scaffolding mealy replaces a brush block that was there. The scaffolding takes up the same space as the block so i think i'm in the clear as far as layout. :)

And yes, all of those pistons are the same model but with different animations.

tl:dr = All my props will make sense soon, just let me finish detailing it!

Last edited:

treythepunkid

Sep 8, 2008
Looks cute, but wouldn't that confuse players, seeing as a engie is sitting there..

Can we stab him?

Haha, yes he does. Sorry, i should have specified before. The place you see him in the video is NOT the same place he will be in the final version. In the final version he will be out of reach similar to the player models swimming in Thunder Mountain.

treythepunkid

Sep 8, 2008
little update, working on a generator.

EGRw2.jpg

smwzQ.jpg

UVing it now, finish it tomorrow.

Finally working on models that aren't in the final room!

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
if you tone that specular down, you've got some serious generators ! :D

treythepunkid

Sep 8, 2008
Final implemented the molten metal pot.

KsICY.jpg

BoUdY.jpg

P7QzJ.jpg

And yes, the pot does move on the placeholder track and turns the corner, then repeats.

Thanks for checking it out!

Mr. P. Kiwi

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 22, 2009
The map is excellent!
The screenshots look great (modeling, texturing & detailing).
The lighting is great!
And I'm looking forward to play this new, hopefully, official map!

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
I like the reflection on the generator. Mabye put a direct light source above it, to make it look like it was used recently.

Tiles on ramps -shakeafista-

Don't forget detail rooms need optimization too!

It's raining in New york right now...makes lava seem welcoming...

treythepunkid

Sep 8, 2008
I like the reflection on the generator. Mabye put a direct light source above it, to make it look like it was used recently.

Tiles on ramps -shakeafista-

Don't forget detail rooms need optimization too!

It's raining in New york right now...makes lava seem welcoming...

Hehe, sorry about the tiles on a ramp :blushing:. I will swap em out for stairs.

Mr. P. Kiwi

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 22, 2009
The lighting, in my opinion, is worse. But the new detailing are, as usual great! Try to fix the lights... And get rid of the spotlight lighting the door to the "behind the scenes" in pic 2.
But if you think differently, it's not awful it's just worse than what it was before.

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
Looking Snazzy

2nd screen shot, that orange light prop seems like more of an outside thing. Swap with a red hazard light to add warmth and contrast to the room