Artpass Contest Favourites.

XFunc_CaRteR

L5: Dapper Member
May 14, 2009
My question to you, why wouldn't you read the rules?

Also, I'd love for you to enter, more entries is good, but if all you're doing is bitching in threads and things then it puts you in a bad light. If you have message'd zpq let him take care of it, if he says you're not allowed in, you're not allowed in. Period. No need to kick up a shit storm.

I did message him.

I didn't go to that official submission thread. It was just an innocent mistake. I thought that submitting to the contest thread was enough. I was in. On time.

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Then why did you start posting all this? I don't see the point in all this if you're already/have taken it up privately. Seems kinda stupid and attention seeking imo. Anyhow, I wish you the best in your contest entering endeavours.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
Why wouldn't you question submitting a map in a location where no other map exists?

Reminds me of a half-hour conversation I had once when I said (over YIM) to a friend, "I should do trash..." and they wondered what on earth I would be doing with the trash and the conversation lasted so long because we were trying to figure out what one might "do" with trash that wasn't the obvious.

JoshuaC

L420: High Member
Sep 2, 2008
I'll only speak in detail of the ones I've actually played, but here's my favorites.

MangyCarface.

His entry certainly deviates a bit from the original design, but I think it still falls within limits. The theme is nice, and there's a lot of nice little touches all around. Overall, however, it feels unfinished. I'd of loved to see how this entry would look if Mangy had more time to work on it.

Y_M.

A really nice looking entry with a ton of amazing looking content. They've done well to expand on the existing Halloween theme, and there's a lot of small details strewn about the map that you don't see very often in other maps.

The only real problem I have with the map is the inconsistency with the detail. There's small rooms packed full of really nice looking models and textures, and then there's wide open areas that look nearly devoid of any detail. The points are visually boring, but the paths leading to and from them are amazingly detailed.

Acegikmo

An amazing looking entry with an equally amazing theme to boot. I can't really say much about this map without coming off as bias, but I think it's got just the right mix of everything.

3Dnj

Really like the balance between the theme and lighting. Detailing is top notch as well. Really glad to see this entry make it out before the deadline.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
So lets start playing these on the server? I know everyone worked really hard, and they'd love to see their map played at least once.

Mar 23, 2010
I like:
spud's - cute, well done, solid theme. contrasts the maps crazy layout.
ace's - sucker for the city-like theme, and that sexy skybox
boojum's - very clean, nice looking map
fubar's - cave, pirate ship, green house; generally looks cool
YM's and rew1inds are very nice as well.

ooooo just saw 3Dnj's and it is very good. really tough call. valve has their work cut out for them.

Jan 20, 2010
Why is no one mentioning Gooba's? Has anyone seen that map? I mean, dear god, it's beautiful.

its-beautiful.jpg

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
I don't have much to add, most of the awesomest ones have already been pointed out. Just checked goobas and it's really quite nice but for some reason it hurts my eyes.

Honestly though it's amazing how many look amazing, at least in parts. If you took away the interiors I'd say 40 or so have a shot, as it stands theres maybe 15-20 contenders.

If anyone downloaded my map please download again, zpqrei let me update it to fix a few things.

Last edited:

XFunc_CaRteR

L5: Dapper Member
May 14, 2009
History Lesson: Johnson became President after Lincoln was assassinated. The Radicals didn't like him, but needed a reason to impeach him. So the real reason he was impeached was because nobody liked him, but the legal reason was because he fired a cabinet member, breaking a law.

Now, I taught you this CaRteR, because if I were zpq, I would do the same. I wouldn't allow you to enter the contest late because of your attitude and blaming your inability to follow the rules on others. But I'd mark the reason down in the official papers as "Failure to submit map properly and on time" or something along those lines.

AND when you look for an apple in a grocery store, all the apples are sold in the same place, right? Why wouldn't you question submitting a map in a location where no other map exists?

Also, cue obligatory "YM or Mangy or Ace will win, why even try" comment.

Oh right, my favourite. I just downloaded 19 of the Artpass maps to look at in more detail.

Well, there were Artpass submissions there. I downloaded them.

Also, what happened was I was wandering around the threads - which I don't frequent a lot - AFTER I uploaded and after the deadline, and then I saw this thread that said "Artpass Submission Thread". And I said, "What the hell...?" And then I opened it, and there was this notice that said we had to submit there.

I followed the rules as I saw them. As I understood them.

Last edited:

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
The entry I liked the most based on screenshots is Gooba's. His fits the game almost perfectly while still doing something new. Based on running around, grazr's entry is my favorite.

Thanks godslayer <3

Huckle

L3: Member
May 31, 2010
Goobas' has been my favourite throughout the entire mapping process but I have to admit that 3Dnj has a stunning entry. It just makes me sad that the best looking map I've ever made doesn't stand up to the competition. :)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
At the moment there are only 10 entries up on the servers, including YM's, Spud's, Booj's and my own.

Since so many people are asking to play these, i'll upload the rest to the servers for you guys.

@ Carter, this isn't the thread for such a discussion. PM ZPQ and wait for a response. Continuing to post here wont solve your problem.

Edit: Only made my way through 12 of the entries and already 4 people have uploaded to places dictated unacceptable upload sources, and 2 who have not named their files appropriately. Does no one read the rules anymore?

Last edited:

LATTEH

L1: Registered
Jan 27, 2010
At the moment there are only 10 entries up on the servers, including YM's, Spud's, Booj's and my own.

Since so many people are asking to play these, i'll upload the rest to the servers for you guys.

@ Carter, this isn't the thread for such a discussion. PM ZPQ and wait for a response. Continuing to post here wont solve your problem.

Edit: Only made my way through 12 of the entries and already 4 people have uploaded to places dictated unacceptable upload sources, and 2 who have not named their files appropriately. Does no one read the rules anymore?

If you guys play my map can someone contact me i would love to play

Actually i would love to play any of the maps lol

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
I'm going to be the odd one out and say TerabyteST's is my favourite. I also really like grazr's, YM's, and Spud's. There are so many good entries that it's pretty difficult to pick favourites. I feel sorry for whoever has to judge this one, it's going to be hard.

p.s. This is based on running around every single entry. I spend way too much time on community nights.