Art pass extension

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
There are a lot of great maps that people have stopped working on because they feel like they can't complete it in time, which is sad.

My problem with this is thus: People decided to give up X weeks ago because they couldn't finish their work in said X weeks. Adding on another X weeks just puts those people back to square 1.

This is one of the few contests that ran squarely over the holidays (though there are obviously those that have jobs) and not through some amazingly inconvinient scheduling overlapping exam periods or entire academic semesters or family holidays (christmas) whereby 90% of the people gave up because they couldn't dedicate the necassery time.

There are some good maps and there are some bad maps, there are some maps people should have spent more time on and those who never had the time to spend in the first place. This is always the way, and we have this same debate in the final week of every contest.

Whilst i sympathise with the circumstance of "There can only be 1" this time around, so we might as well make as many of them good as possible. What's truely fair? To handi-cap people who put in the effort and took the contest seriously from the start? No matter how much we try to justify making the contest "look good" on TF2maps part, i can't see it being justified for the participants for the very same reason. There will be 1 and we should move on. Even if ultimately the deciding factor is how professional they were about this whole project.

Penguin hit the nail on the head pretty well with time management. If you can manage it and want to do it, do it; if you can't, don't; if you're unsure, don't make any expectations. If you don't complete it, you don't complete it; that was the gamble you chose to make when entering such a competition where all your hard work may be potentially for nort.

Last edited:

Simski

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2010
According to the Rules Page: The Submission Procedure
"This time once the submission thread is up and the deadline set you will have until that deadline to the second with no exceptions."

So sadly I don't think an extension will be allowed, as the rules clearly states the deadline is final.

Last edited:

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
If you'd extend it now, a lot of people would've liked to know that in the first place. People who thought they had too little time, would now feel cheated out because they didn't start and can't start now, even though they've got enough time all of a sudden.

Plus, you'll (very likely) be delaying the Polycount pack (I'm guessing, at least, that Valve is going to release this map with it, as it's so close to ending). You wouldn't want that would you :p

I also wouldn't worry about gameplay - here's assuming Valve choosing by aestethics mostly, and some optimization, and then suggests/fixes the smaller things such as player clipping themselves.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Whilst i sympathise with the circumstance of "There can only be 1" this time around, so we might as well make as many of them good as possible. What's truely fair? To handi-cap people who put in the effort and took the contest seriously from the start? No matter how much we try to justify making the contest "look good" on TF2maps part, i can't see it being justified for the participants for the very same reason. There will be 1 and we should move on. Even if ultimately the deciding factor is how professional they were about this whole project.

Penguin hit the nail on the head pretty well with time management. If you can manage it and want to do it, do it; if you can't, don't; if you're unsure, don't make any expectations. If you don't complete it, you don't complete it; that was the gamble you chose to make when entering such a competition where all your hard work may be potentially for nort.

I took it seriously from the start J: Just that I was in a different country for a month after the contest was announced.

honeymustard

L9: Fashionable Member
Oct 26, 2009
I'd be a bit disappointed if they allowed an extension. If I worked my ass off detailing, optimising and clipping my entry for the due date, why can't everyone else?

Simski

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2010
I'd be a bit disappointed if they allowed an extension. If I worked my ass off detailing, optimising and clipping my entry for the due date, why can't everyone else?
I also think it is unlikely because in the polycount contest, they didn't give any extensions either even though a lot of people wanted it.

Not meaning to crush your dreams and hopes Mangy, just trying to have realistic expectations based on the past...

Feb 14, 2008
Could alter the rules slightly for the "grace week" where you're also allowed to submit visual changes, if you really need to.

Pc_Madness

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 31, 2009
Could alter the rules slightly for the "grace week" where you're also allowed to submit visual changes, if you really need to.

I think this could probably be the best solution.

At the end of the day though I doubt if Valve will care if the map is finished. If they really like it I'm sure they'll wait a week or two for you to finish.

Feb 14, 2008
Grace week is only for game breaking glitches such as your skybox not paking right.

Yes, and I said that could be altered to allow people some extra time to finish. Of course you'd still have to declare your map entered by the deadline, but at least we'll know people have the intention of finishing it, rather than getting lots of entries that are just unfinished.

zpqrei

Theme Changer Extraordinaire
aa
Oct 19, 2008

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

everything I know is a lie

Swordz

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 27, 2009
Yes, and I said that could be altered to allow people some extra time to finish. Of course you'd still have to declare your map entered by the deadline, but at least we'll know people have the intention of finishing it, rather than getting lots of entries that are just unfinished.

I will kill my self to finish in time, and you will have extra time? It's not fair

Feb 14, 2008
I will kill my self to finish in time, and you will have extra time? It's not fair

I'm not even entering, just making a suggestion - which would apply to everybody. So yeah basically, it'd be like everyone getting an extra week.

Nov 14, 2009
I dont care if people are pissed, I want an extension.
As of right now, im rapidly texturing and areaportaling things left and right. It doesnt look good, but I just dont want ALL my work from the summer to be wasted by not even entering at all.

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
I've got a series of digital art works that I need to have done for a client by the first of October. This is a deadline I've been aware of since about mid-July. Some of that time I've mis-managed. Some of that time I had to give to other obligations. Some of that time I spent simply dealing with unseen obstacles. Regardless of all that I just have to suck it up and put in some extra hours to make up for it over this last week and a half. If I don't make the deadline I'll suffer the consequences for it, just like anyone would suffer the consequences for missing a deadline at work or school.

Sorry if this sounds insensitive, but a deadline is a deadline; especially when it was a clearly stated deadline made months in advance.

Erich

L1: Registered
Mar 28, 2010
The polycount update date is directly by the end date of this contest. The map is to be packaged with it.