Art pass extension

Discussion in 'Contests' started by MangyCarface, Sep 20, 2010.

1. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Pretty much the thread title. I don't think I've seen playtesting on any of these- and while I know we're not responsible for gameplay, playtesting reveals technical flaws like clipping et al.

we all need more time. Please give it D:

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. HellJumper

aa HellJumper

Positive Ratings:
    Well what I did was generate a .nav file and played with bots to test my map. And for the playerclipping all I did was sv_cheats 1; hurtme -100000000000000000000000, and then you can sticky jump all day without dying.

3. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    I can say for certain that the answer will be an emphatic NO.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    we should totally troll valve by submitting everything 1 month late
    "yo dawg I herd you like delays so we added a delay in your delays so you can delay your delays!"
    tf2m time

• Thanks Thanks x 10
  5. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Just no.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Yea, although i'm not for an extension considering the contexts of the competition, it would be amusing for us all to run a month late for the sake of spiting Valve's infamous "Valve time".

7. Snacks

Snacks TODO: Clever title

Positive Ratings:
    No, in valve time, they were expecting this to be finished 2 weeks ago.

8. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    I didn't really start working in earnest until about a month left. I don't really have enough time to finish to a point that I want and whatever I submit will be less than I would like. That said, I wouldn't want an extension, I just want it done :/

However, I will say I was surprised at the length given in the first place and expected it to be a few weeks longer than it was.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    I thought, as a community, we'd want to enter as many entries as possible. I don't think there will be nearly as many as there could with a deadline extension. That's all.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. Penguin

Positive Ratings:
    You're missing the point.

This is a deadline set by VALVe. Obviously, they needed the map by this time.

It's out of our hands.

11. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    I understand if people oppose an extension, but where are you getting this information?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Rexy

aa Rexy The Kwisatz Haderach

Positive Ratings:
    I'm actually for this...I know everyone who's been working their butts off are really ready for it to be over, but crunch time is here and there's still a few materials I'd like to make. That's my reasoning. Don't hate me, YM. :(

13. Penguin

Positive Ratings:
    Mangy, VALVe is running the contest, VALVe set the deadline.

This is basic information.

14. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I really wouldn't say no to having the time to fix issues with several of my models. As it is, they're fine when compared to some of the default TF2 stuff, but they're really not up to my normal standards of quality.

Kep

15. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Penguin, I think Mangy meant more "why did they need it by this time". It's been said the map was languishing anyway.

As for the question -- I'm not doing an artpass map, but I'd like to see an extension anyway.

There are a lot of great maps that people have stopped working on because they feel like they can't complete it in time, which is sad. Multiple people have remarked at how they feel the timeframe was short to begin with. Coupled with school entering a lot of people's lives this fall, that timeframe became even shorter.

I don't feel we should reward people who started late with bonus time, but I do feel that people who worked the entire stretch and are barely finishing in time might deserve a week or two more. If that means a blanket extension, I'm for it, if it means anything.

16. sniprpenguin

sniprpenguin L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    We had a little over two months to do a visual once-over on a map.

We also had 4 months to do a map from scratch in the last contest.

I'd say that's roughly equal in terms of workload.

Also, I certainly can't say this for other people, but hopefully I hope to work in the vidyagame industry. With that attitude, I imagined this contest as my boss coming up to my cubicle and saying "Artpass this map in time for the next update, which is in 2 months." If I failed to do so, that's grounds for termination. Of course, not everyone can map for 8 hours a day, and I certainly didn't, but it mainly comes down to time management. That's a skill everyone needs to learn, and you can't always rely on extensions.

17. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Uh.... no.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. HellJumper

aa HellJumper

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, but like for me, I knew I had to finish a month early because I can't do anything from university... So an extension would be slightly unfair for people like me who actually might have a chance for once...

19. Penguin

Positive Ratings:
    Whaaaaaat

20. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    It's a TF2M contest... endorsed and sponsored by Valve...