CTF Arenagate

Status
Not open for further replies.

friagram

L1: Registered
Jan 2, 2012
it's not about the money. many mappers are here to build a portfolio and meaningful professional experiences. most people here don't care about the money, we just want to contribute to the game because we enjoy the tf2 community.

If you are serious about building a portfolio, why wouldn't you pick the unreal engine? It' sway more portable and integrates with tools that professionals actually use in the industry. The SDK is also kept up to date and much better than source SDK.

You could also join dev communities for Xbox and other consoles and whatnot if you are serious about promoting your work.

If you want a career, don't box your self in and settle for an old/dying engine... Tf2/source is a niche community, and won't get you far.
Idtech would be another decent option, and it's very similar to hl2 due to to the fact that HL was built around this.

The only thing that I can see that's good about TF is that i'ts F2p and has a large client base.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
If you are serious about building a portfolio, why wouldn't you pick the unreal engine? It' sway more portable and integrates with tools that professionals actually use in the industry. The SDK is also kept up to date and much better than source SDK.

You could also join dev communities for Xbox and other consoles and whatnot if you are serious about promoting your work.

If you want a career, don't box your self in and settle for an old/dying engine... Tf2/source is a niche community, and won't get you far.
Idtech would be another decent option, and it's very similar to hl2 due to to the fact that HL was built around this.

The only thing that I can see that's good about TF is that i'ts F2p and has a large client base.

the engine doesn't matter, a good map is a good map. and like I said, some of us just want to contribute to the game because we enjoy the tf2 community. to me tf2 is a perfect fit because it has a great community and the engine won't stop me from making a good design.

at this point we already know you hate tf2 but if this is the only good thing you can see in tf2, maybe you should find an other hobby

Last edited:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
And thus is why we're here. We enjoy the game, thus we map for it. Why are you? Why not make your great map in a far superior engine?

I've barely ever played UT3, or any other game on the unreal engine. I'd rather map for a game that I enjoy playing, and that others enjoy playing too. TF2 won't die soon.

And if I get hired by a company, a map is a map. I can learn the unreal engine, and the skills and theory I've learned here can be transferred to any engine. Sightlines, height variation and gameplay flow are not for only source engine. If you don't realise that, then I've lost all hope.

friagram

Jan 2, 2012
the engine doesn't matter, a good map is a good map. and like I said, some of us just want to contribute to the game because we enjoy the tf2 community. to me tf2 is a perfect fit because it has a great community and the engine won't stop me from making a good design.

I agree.
I like tf2 because there are so many ponies :O

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
if source is such a bad engine, go use a different engine on a different website

or just use a different website altogether anyway

friagram

Jan 2, 2012
And thus is why we're here. We enjoy the game, thus we map for it. Why are you? Why not make your great map in a far superior engine?

I've barely ever played UT3, or any other game on the unreal engine. I'd rather map for a game that I enjoy playing, and that others enjoy playing too. TF2 won't die soon.

And if I get hired by a company, a map is a map. I can learn the unreal engine, and the skills and theory I've learned here can be transferred to any engine. Sightlines, height variation and gameplay flow are not for only source engine. If you don't realise that, then I've lost all hope.

Some skills, yes
Basic understanding of geometry, and visleafs, gameplay etc.
However ID/Source uses additive environments which are much different than subtractive environments which have a void you must seal.
You can do a lot of different things in subtractive environments, and import/export them as models, thus design also changes a lot.

Anyways, the SDK is free, why wouldn't you want to learn both if you can?
Hell, you can go get 3ds max, maya, XSI, mudbox and the works by joining the autodesk educational community for free and learn how to make 3d models, render environments, rig/animate characters, and create textures. Why wouldn't you?

MANY games are built upon engines using subtractive environments. The unreal ENGINE is used for a vast amount of games across many platforms.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
People should not take this so seriously...
I mean really, what's the big deal? All of this stuff is just a casual hobby, it's not a job. Have fun? If you treat it as such well.. that says something I suppose.

Er, to be fair if you have a hobby then that's you taking something more seriously. Creating model airplanes takes time, skill, effort and money to do. It is a dedication that people will take very seriously. Does that mean they lose enjoyment out of it? No.

Also i will say this. You likely don't comprehend a fraction of the source engine or how to develop a product if you think it is easy and takes no skill, time or effort to learn. Making brushes and applying textures is easy, but that's only a small part of making maps.

Your map has all the tell tale signs of a newbie. Simple geometry, bad scales, a mediocre texture pack instead of making your own, lack of detail, etc. So how you can claim this is all "joke easy" with a straight face is beyond me.

If you want to make a cool quake map why wouldn't you take the effort to make it amazing?

Last edited:

friagram

Jan 2, 2012
Er, to be fair if you have a hobby then that's you taking something more seriously. Football is a sport and a job for some people but playing footy down the park is not a hobby as you're not serious about it. Creating model airplanes takes time, skill, effort and money to do. It is a dedication that people will take very seriously. Does that mean they lose enjoyment out of it? No.

Also i will say this. You likely don't comprehend a fraction of the source engine if you think it is easy and takes no skill, time or effort to learn. Making brushes and applying textures is easy, but that's only a small part of making maps.

thanks for the triple enema of double down sarcasm

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Not just geometry and visleaves can be transferred. The whole dynamic of making multiplayer or single player maps never changes. Level design theory, directing the player, etc. That will stick with me forever.

Source is old. That doesn't mean I should just abandon making maps for a game I love to go make maps for a game I don't. I already know how to use the unreal SDK, and I have made things in it. And learning source didn't hinder me, in fact, it helped me a vast amount.

You realize that so far, you've come here, posted your map, completely disregarded the feedback we gave you, insulted our whole hobby and the work we put into it, then insulted the engine we've put years into learning, insulted the quality of our work, and therefore, insulted us. I'd be extremely careful where you go from there.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
thanks for the triple enema of double down sarcasm

I just don't understand your reactions to peoples feedback. You're posting on a hobby site specifically created for developing maps from alpha through beta and to RC, asking for feedback. Then when you get some serious realistic replies you retort with worthless comments like this and tell people not to take this so seriously and that you're happy with your map regardless of what anyone says.

If you're happy with the useless praise your map gets from random players who know nothing about game or level design then you really don't appreciate the situation; or are wasting your (and our) time as you misunderstand the service this community provides. This community complains about official content even so you shouldn't take it personally when your map takes a critical beating.

P.S. i'm not entirely sure what your comment means, i wasn't even sarcastic. Instead i'll translate it to mean "Thanks, i now appreciate the fact that level design is a skill honed over a period of time that utilises critical thinking and problem solving in combination with both knowledge of the Source Engine and its world editor Hammer, plus a personal study of the respective game's gameplay and mechanics, be that TF, CS, DoD or HLDM... and i value your opinions as veteran level designers with several years of experience and your success in helping work get purchased by top game developer companies such as Valve.", as that would be a wise and intelligent reply that i can respect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.