A wild swamp appeared!

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Nice, they're going to become stock materials. :)

Any clue when they'll be updating it?

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Nice, they're going to become stock materials. :)

Any clue when they'll be updating it?

Uh... they aren't. Just saying, if a map did happen to go official that did use these materials, everyone on the Swamp "team" has already agreed to sign over rights to the content and such, so...

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
As happy as I am that Valve took interest in this, I'm sorta sad.

Now every guy and his dog will see this as the new sawmill.

Speaking of which, this compliments sawmill nicely.

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
This looks way better than I thought it would, really pro quality here! Great stuff guys! :]!

cornontheCoD

Mar 25, 2008
Nice, this theme is already posted on the TF2 blog.

I hope you guys get the new installer done soon, or else you will have many problems with the noobs coming from the blog post. Also, I'm really antsy to get started.

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Wow, this looks pretty awesome, don't see why it had to be kept as a big top secret though :)
Anyway would the makers like to be referenced in any maps made with the theme?
If so how?

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Nice, this theme is already posted on the TF2 blog.

I hope you guys get the new installer done soon, or else you will have many problems with the noobs coming from the blog post. Also, I'm really antsy to get started.
If you could PM me some info it would be greatly appreciated.
Windows version
Windows account type (admin/user/power user/etc)
The exact error message (screenshot?)
Where exactly you have steam
anything else you might think useful.

I've only recently started learning how to build installers with NSIS so I'll see if I can track down the problem. In the mean time if you have 7-zip (or get it), you can use it to extract the content of the installer without running it.

cornontheCoD

Mar 25, 2008
Thanks Boojum, I will try 7-zip. If you don't hear about it again, it will have worked.

The main problem is that I have my steam folder in a subfolder. If I could choose where to extract everything (tell the installer where Steam is), then it would work perfectly.

Edit: I tried right-clicking the installer, but I don't see a "extract with 7-zip" or anything similar. Am I supposed to do it another way?

Also I will send you a PM in a minute

Last edited:

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Just chucked a few textures in a crappy map, and I must say it looks pretty awesome (bit dark in screenshots though)
cp_dreary_a00000.jpg

cp_dreary_a00001.jpg

BTW how do I make images as thumbnails?

Jan 31, 2008
I'm a bit disappointed. You guys hyped it up to be more than what it actually was. I expected more content than this.
(Don't get me wrong, you did a great job with what you have here.)

A Noobcake

L1: Registered
Jun 9, 2009
Awesome. Really. Now we just have to wait for ctf_2fort_swamp.

bittman

L1: Registered
Dec 7, 2008
That's no moon...

Still, a swamp is nice. Good to keep our exercise outdoors without only mother nature to pay for our explosions and bodies.

(wonders if the "New Theme" contest will become a constant event?)

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I'm a bit disappointed. You guys hyped it up to be more than what it actually was. I expected more content than this.
(Don't get me wrong, you did a great job with what you have here.)

I'm pretty sure this pack has more content then the Alpine theme did at Lumberyard's release. It doesn't look like much, but Valve created a whole new theme based around one ground texture, a few wood textures, a few trees, and some random goodies like logs, saws, and wheelbarrows. It's a pretty versatile new set of content leveraging existing TF2 assets (as the mini-contest should prove).

And either way, I feel the hype was justified. This is the first full custom theme to be publicly released and distributed for any mapper to use.

Cerious

Aug 10, 2008
I'm pretty sure this pack has more content then the Alpine theme did at Lumberyard's release. It doesn't look like much, but Valve created a whole new theme based around one ground texture, a few wood textures, a few trees, and some random goodies like logs, saws, and wheelbarrows. It's a pretty versatile new set of content leveraging existing TF2 assets (as the mini-contest should prove).

And either way, I feel the hype was justified. This is the first full custom theme to be publicly released and distributed for any mapper to use.

Egypt (by heyo) and Jungle (by Spike) were also pretty major custom themes that were released, but the amount of content in this pack surpasses those two by far.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I still think it looks just like sawmill :p

Hopefully, the contest entries could change my mind.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I still think it looks just like sawmill :p

Hopefully, the contest entries could change my mind.

Well, yes, the Swamp theme does leverage and build off of Alpine assets. But I assure you, after seeing what people come up with for the contest, it'll be distinctive.

evanonline

Mar 15, 2009
The swamp is to alpine as Egypt is to the desert. A completely different locale that builds off of another official one. There's similarities, sure, but it'll end up being very different, I believe.

Well, I would say the swamp materials are far more comprehensive than Egypt, of course, but...