72hr Contest 2013 - Winter Classic Survey Thread

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I think we should vote on voting for the theme.

No.

Can i suggest voting for the theme?

And no. Voting on the theme would defeat the purpose of why I would be putting the theme together in the first place... Also, don't think of it as a theme, it'll be inspiration, not a theme that you have to adhere to.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Sorta like Ravidge's "tunnel" thing? He didn't want a tunnel, but rather a linear experience. Also, voting on it ahead of time would spoil what it is, or what it could be. It would be more fun as a surprise.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
You don't need to know how my summer went. Need not turn this into another TF2maps Lonely Hearts thread.

Like everyone else working i wont be able to get time off, but i will be "under hours" so after NY is cool.

Whether i'll actually getting around to participating is another matter, but a small contest is good to get me back into the swing of things. I've been spending most of my time recently poking around in the NS2 Spark editor. Makes Hammer look like it's from the 90's (OK, technically it is), although it could use a ui overhaul, you can tell it's beta.

Fish 2.0

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 22, 2012
I'm all good for any time about a month either side of Christmas.

Give us a theme that can be interpreted in many different ways and in voting make the contestant have a write up about their interpretation and how they represented that in their map. That could create maybe another winner section of the whole metaphorical creativity thing part maybe thing.

EDIT: Also, having a set theme would be good because then nobody could plan out their map before hand, even if it is just in their head.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2012
I'm going to have the official post for this contest up soon... probably tomorrow or monday.

How does January 17th to 20th sound? Something somewhat later in the day.

I guess it's fine. The main problem with scheduling these events is that you're always going to have trouble finding a full 3 days to do it - weekends are only so long :p So there will always be someone (or a few someones) who it doesn't mesh with.

Personally I think I prefer the way it was scheduled last time, with Friday afternoon + Saturday + Sunday + Monday morning, where you're guaranteed two straight days in Saturday and Sunday even if you are occupied on Friday and Monday. However, it's your call.