CP 3Mannworks [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Doesn't matter if the layout is "good" or "bad", as long as it's playable, it will be played.

Okay, many people just make it out to be that my maps are unplayable. If the maps loads and you can capture the control point and not fallout the map. It's a playable state.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
It's unplayable when it's broken or there's a problem that hinders gameplay be it not being able to exit spawn, overly bright HDR, leaks, fullbright or custom content that haven't been packed.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Using somebody's else's design won't do much good for improving on your skills in the long run.
Yeah, but in the short term it would help me get notice as that one person who has okay maps and not that guy who has near unplayable maps.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
It's unplayable when it's broken or there's a problem that hinders gameplay be it not being able to exit spawn, overly bright HDR, leaks, fullbright or custom content that haven't been packed.
I did not touched the HDR from the original map. All the small things will be fixed in the next update. You can use the other doors. There are three other doors that you can use. I don't know how the rocks are custom if they are in the original map.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Right now you're getting noticed as the guy who makes bad gamemode ports of valve maps and puts little effort into understanding why that's something people have a problem with. Right now you are getting noticed as the guy who has near unplayable maps because you don't seem to be listening to anything anyone is saying.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Nope! It will get you noticed as the guy who sloppily converts valve maps.
Then if I don't do this and I make my own map from scratch over and over and if they are bad people will just think all the scratch maps will be bad.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Right now you're getting noticed as the guy who makes bad gamemode ports of valve maps and puts little effort into understanding why that's something people have a problem with. Right now you are getting noticed as the guy who has near unplayable maps because you don't seem to be listening to anything anyone is saying.
I lisson to the feedback that I will be givin. I put the feedback of my maps right into the maps. Whitejack has feedback and I fixed the map base on the feedback. I changed the map gamemode off the feedback.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I lisson to the feedback that I will be givin. I put the feedback of my maps right into the maps. Whitejack has feedback and I fixed the map base on the feedback. I changed the map gamemode off the feedback.

You're listening to the easy stuff but you're not making an effort to understand the harder stuff. I could train a monkey to make maps bigger or add routes. You need to understand the theory behind it.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
What effort have you put into learning what makes a map good?
All of my maps. I got the scaling right with shutdown. I got the bomb cart pathing right with multiple spawns with whitejack. I have gotten the flipping of a map with this map.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
You're listening to the easy stuff but you're not making an effort to understand the harder stuff. I could train a monkey to make maps bigger or add routes. You need to understand the theory behind it.
If I try to do the hard things then I screw up and people say it is worse then before and then I just ditch the map because I screwed up.

LeSwordfish

aa
Aug 8, 2010
All of my maps. I got the scaling right with shutdown. I got the bomb cart pathing right with multiple spawns with whitejack. I have gotten the flipping of a map with this map.

Nope - this is the technical stuff. What effort have you put into understanding what makes a map fun to play?

If I try to do the hard things then I screw up and people say it is worse then before and then I just ditch the map because I screwed up.

Everyone screws up. Do you fix the problem? Do you try to understand what the problem was? Or do you give up and start again?

Heili

L3: Member
Jul 21, 2016
Will chime in and say you're not reaching your potential if all you do is succeed in your maps. You need to fail to learn and improve.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Nope - this is the technical stuff. What effort have you put into understanding what makes a map fun to play?

I understand that each class must be effective in the entire map. Stonger in some places and weaker in other.

Everyone screws up. Do you fix the problem? Do you try to understand what the problem was? Or do you give up and start again?
I try to fix it but I eather do fix it or it gets worse. If it gets too bad and un fixable due to having to tear down entire sections of the map to fix it. Then I just go onto the next map. Look at Whitejack. There was a problem with red front spawn. If I had to change the section of the map then I would have to tear down haft the map. And now I left that map to work on another map.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Will chime in and say you're not reaching your potential if all you do is succeed in your maps. You need to fail to learn and improve.
If I do keep failing then nobody will want to play the maps because each one is a failor.

I understand that you need to fail at most times but you have to get it right other times as well.

LeSwordfish

aa
Aug 8, 2010
I try to fix it but I eather do fix it or it gets worse. If it gets too bad and un fixable due to having to tear down entire sections of the map to fix it. Then I just go onto the next map. Look at Whitejack. There was a problem with red front spawn. If I had to change the section of the map then I would have to tear down haft the map.

So you made a whole new map instead? That sounds like far more work than even remaking half an old map.

And you still haven't answered my question. What have you done to understand what makes a map fun?

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
So you made a whole new map instead? That sounds like far more work than even remaking half an old map.

And you still haven't answered my question. What have you done to understand what makes a map fun?

It's not far more work because it's the valve map. I just need to build apon it.
I understand that each class must be effective in the entire map. Stonger in some places and weaker in other.

LeSwordfish

aa
Aug 8, 2010
Okay, that's one element of the entire design of the game of TF2. Have you read Grazr's article on scale? Or his article on Balance, or on Objectives? Have you read the Developer Wiki articles on Design Theory?

I'm asking this because you seem to be deliberately only engaging with mapping on the shallowest level possible. You can't just make something at random, get a list of changes, apply them, and keep doing that until it's perfect. You need to understand how level design works and what makes something fun to play. It's okay to make mistakes, but you have to think about what the problems are and think about how to fix them.

If someone told you "put a pink giraffe in your map", that's obviously bad advice. It's what they want, but it doesn't fit. You need to understand why you're doing what you're doing.

There aren't any shortcuts. Adapting a map from one gamemode to another - especially when they're as massively different as MVM and standard tf2- is going to be just as much work to do properly as making a whole map. Anything else is really obviously just you being lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.